Words Are Just Dust...

Gig reviews, set lists, thoughts, comments and observations on the mammoth 2006 25th Anniversary tour.
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

it's no secret that von's voice can be a touch-and-go affair these days: i don't mean any disrespect - simply an observation that his voice is not as strong as it used to be.
listening to the most recent boots it is more and more apparent that adam's backing vocals carried him considerably, and not only on the choruses.

so my two questions:
who is going to fill this vital vocal role
and
to what extent is von's voice going to be suffering by the time he hits europe -particularly if the backing vocals don't cover him so well as they did before.

personally i think robobreezers (thanx to mrblast for that :notworthy:) would seem the obvious choice for question one,as he is a vocalist (and english :innocent: )
as for the second question i envy the las vegas crowd 'cos it could be a ragged voicebox that von's sporting beyond that. we all know (cause he's said so) that he finds it impossible to tour without resorting to distance over time and the u.s.a schedule would be punishing even for a younger eldritch.
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
itnAklipse
Slight Overbomber

i also think it's interesting what the backing vox will be like, certainly different from what we're used to now...probably there'll be some other minor changes on how Sisters sounds too.

(Just as a sidenote, i actually prefer Von's vox post-2000 to when his voice was very strong in 1997-1999...but then i don't really think it's a question of strength as much as a particular change in style (whether or not that change in style was in part triggered by lessening strength is irrelevant...just that whatever limitations he's ever had, he has sidetracked them significantly well and probably will continue doing so as ever))
we've got beer and we've got fuel
jost 7
Slight Overbomber

andrews voice was much stronger in 2005 than in 2003 - which was due to a cold i guess. but i also thought about this when i saw the lenghts of the new tour - so he must be shure that everything will work out fine! this voice is now trained to a stile your singing teacher would kill you for....

adam was a good guitarplayer, but really could not sing. and the effects on his voice were really strange also. at least backing vox will improove.....
love is just a shot away
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

Well, I think you might be on to something there Lee. Very interesting, and I think if the Sisters would lose Von's voice, I'd be out too. It's the voice that's so fascinating... 2005 might just have been better because it was so short, but then nearly two years of rest (not counting the seven summer gigs) might have done him and his voice good...
The backings can just never even get close to him, they're flat, faint and sound nearly uninspired too often - without being disrespectful - they are just never up to his level...

Lets just hope something is left of it when he hits Paris :urff:
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

jost 7 wrote:a
adam was a good guitarplayer, but really could not sing. and the effects on his voice were really strange also. at least backing vox will improove.....
it wasn't so much adam's ability as a singer that i was referring to so much as the amount of singing he did to bulk out von's...he can clearly be heard to sing along on chunks of verse on, for example flood 2.
obviousman wrote:The backings can just never even get close to him, they're flat, faint and sound nearly uninspired too often - without being disrespectful - they are just never up to his level...
eldritch's voice is the sisters -but those backing vocals seem to be being placed higher in the mix than before and on more of the vocals...which could be worrying indication of his ability to sing over a long haul.
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Big Si
School Bully

Maybe :von: could just mime along to a backing track, after all with the amount of smoke blown about on stage at the start of the gigs, who's really gonna notice......... ;D

<------ <ducks back into his cardboard box>
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

Big Si wrote:Maybe :von: could just mime along to a backing track, after all with the amount of smoke blown about on stage at the start of the gigs, who's really gonna notice......... ;D

<------ <ducks back into his cardboard box>
<monitor/drink interface>

(to steal someone else's expression)

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
James Blast
Banned

I just hate it when Mr. E yelps! as he seems increasingly to do gig after gig (Romeo Down being a good example). One of the things that attracted me to The Sisters in the first place was his baritone stylings (go on, correct me music buffs), Bury Me Deep being a case in point.

the term RoboBreezer was used without permission from Blast Products 2006â„¢ :lol: :lol: :lol:
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Big Si
School Bully

James Blast wrote:I just hate it when Mr. E yelps! as he seems increasingly to do gig after gig (Romeo Down being a good example). One of the things that attracted me to The Sisters in the first place was his baritone stylings (go on, correct me music buffs), Bury Me Deep being a case in point.

the term RoboBreezer was used without permission from Blast Products 2006â„¢ :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bass Baritone?

Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
James Blast
Banned

Big Si wrote:Bass Baritone?
no
"Zulus, fahsands ov 'em"
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
canon docre
Overbomber

Yeah, brilliant idea! He should make it like Ozzy. full play-back. Better then "yelping" as Blast calls it. I wouldnt mind.
Put their heads on f*cking pikes in front of the venue for all I care.
aims
Overbomber

I must admit, Ribbons did unnerve me.

"Just walk on iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiin ooooon iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiin"

And Detonation Blvd.

"On Detonation Blvd, Bouleaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrr"

But he still has a strong "Shut the fcuk up" in him, so I'm not bothered :lol:
James Blast
Banned

"your heart, your mind, your body and soul"

is all I ask :(
~ Peter Steele
streamline
Slight Overbomber

James Blast wrote:I just hate it when Mr. E yelps! as he seems increasingly to do gig after gig (Romeo Down being a good example). One of the things that attracted me to The Sisters in the first place was his baritone stylings (go on, correct me music buffs), Bury Me Deep being a case in point.
I am very sorry Mr Blast to disagree with such a man with as high a post count as yourself ( :D ) but one of the reasons I admire the Sisters so much is Andrew's ability to sing a certain line (in a baritone - if you will) and then at the turn of a hat add so much more power (or yelp) and change the pitch of his voce. He does this in SKOS, Body Electric and many others and I believe it adds so much to the whole experience.
Bury Me Deep does nothing for me as it stays at the same level throughout (it may as well be a M***ion song) and does not have the impact of most other Sisters songs.

His baritone is great, but even better when he moves away from it (within the same song). Fish also has the same ability (I expect to get slated for saying this!)

His vocal range is still good - I prefer it now to 1990 when I first heard it live as it adds more to the experience. IMHO backing vocals are nothing - remember Maggie's (I think it was her) backing vocals in 93? A thing to forget - does anyone still listen to the bootlegs?

I trust you trust in me to mistrust you
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

...whereas I thought the backing vocals in 93 were outstanding. I 'think' it was Jovanka(sp?) Wilsdorf, though don't ask me why. Really added to the songs live in Brum, and the Dark Xmas boot gets a fair bit of airplay, for exactly that reason. Logic is awesome with the girlie backing.

In my humble opinion, of course.
There is increasing evidence to suggest that Chris may have been being sarcastic.
Brad
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

It's been said that if Jesus returned, man would just nail'em to the cross again . It's also apparent that there are those who are "disciples" of the Sisters that once again question the faith and strength of their leader! :lol:

Yes, the Sisters are engaging in a full scale tour. Yes, it seems rather uncharacteristic. Yes, the only thing predictable about The Sisters are their unpredictability.

And no, this is not a farewell tour, although I seem to be losing the war of public opinion on this one.

As much as I agree that Andrew's voice has certainly altered throughout the last decade, he will live up to expectations. Give him a little credit here. He's not building himself up hari kari style to go out with a bang, not a whimper.

If I seem to have blind faith, I'll leave you with these predictions.... expect to hear "No Time To Cry", "Adrenochrome", "Walk Away", mixed in with at least 3 or 4 new songs as well.

If you're gonna gamble, you better gamble big.
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Adrenochrome, yes please. The other two, ouch. :urff: :twisted: I'm sure these are exactly the songs he was on about when he mentioned certain ditties not standing the test of time.
There is increasing evidence to suggest that Chris may have been being sarcastic.
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

Come one people! You are all fans! He believes in this thing. Support him!

Support and believe in the things you admire! Don't hesitate! Go for it!
Eldo can do it....you all hope he can! You know it..... 8)
"as we walk on the floodland"
Mr. Wah
Amphetamine Filth

streamline wrote:
I am very sorry Mr Blast to disagree with such a man with as high a post count as yourself ( :D ) but one of the reasons I admire the Sisters so much is Andrew's ability to sing a certain line (in a baritone - if you will) and then at the turn of a hat add so much more power (or yelp) and change the pitch of his voce.

His baritone is great, but even better when he moves away from it (within the same song). Fish also has the same ability (I expect to get slated for saying this!)

His vocal range is still good
I am very interested in the deeper voiced end of the operatic singing spectrum, so I'll share my opinions on this.

Von really can't sing at all. He seems to know his own limitations extremely well, and works within these to produce that fascinating, charismatic sound that we all love. Indeed, the sound of his voice is one of my absolute favourites among singers of all persuasions. Von also has a very poor vocal range. Mr Blast is quite correct, and the "yelping" is a way of getting to those higher notes in a way that would otherwise sound worse still.

It's interesting to note that on record, he employs a much narrower vocal range than in the live performances of the last 15 years. I suppose that's in keeping with knowing one's own limitations, and the fact that live shows are more about energy and generating excitement than any technical considerations. And I doubt anyone in their right mind would want to "yelp" on an official release...

This said, Von's voice sounds rich and dramatic when he sings within his limits. For me the high point was Floodland, on which the voice has a great quality to it and he keeps it "under control" (unlike side 2 of FALAA which does cause me some discomfort from time to time).

As for the pitch of the voice, it seems to have changed several times...

On most of the early releases, his voice is clearly higher in pitch than during the FALAA era. Think Black Planet, Marian, Bury Me Deep, etc, where he's positively Chaliapin-esque (Famous Russian Bass singer from the turn of C20). On Floodland, the pitch has risen again and Vision Thing is higher still. Since then, it seems to have varied somewhat over the years. I think it's worth mentioning that I've always felt that his voice, and its pitch, has been "treated" on recordings from time to time to generate the desired effect.

It's hard to classify his vocal range because it's very limited but I would say he's a baritone, tending towards being a bass in the FALAA era. I have my own views on why that might be, but that's another thing... :wink:

So, it's a great-sounding voice with no range and backed up with little technique. He's a Rock and Roll singer, so what else do you expect? Still, that doesn't alter the fact that it's f*cking wonderful.

These are just my thoughts. I think Mr Eldritch himself summed it up pretty well in an issue of UTR (I forget which one):

"I'm not Caruso." :von:
czuczu
Overbomber

I'll be happy if he remembers all the words in the right order...
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I think Mr Wah has hit the nail on the head; Von can't sing but manages to disguise this fact very well. Just part of the old punk ethos I guess; you don't care whether you can or can't play music, you just do it. ;D

But yeah, I had the Leeds gig from 03 on this morning and Adam is too far up in the mix for my liking :| And Adam can't sing and can't disguise the fact :lol:

But I don't think :von: would have arranged a tour this big if he didn't think he was up to it.

Oh and...
Methedrome wrote:And no, this is not a farewell tour, although I seem to be losing the war of public opinion on this one.
I don't think it's farewell either, but prepare for the worst while hoping for the best, eh? ;)
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

von's voice sounded stronger on the 2005 summer tour than it has for a few years :notworthy:

he still sings like tina turner with her fingers in a vice though :lol:

"the sisters don't sing with an assumed american accent"

err, whatever. i've never heard a (adopted) yorkshireman sing any of the vision thing tracks liek that :lol: :innocent:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Karst
Slight Overbomber

Much of it has to do with the soundman IMHO. And on which end of the field you stand during these open air concerts. Always stikes me that those yankee boys & girls are complaining about the sound the most. NYC 1998 being case in point - despite Eldritch recovering from a cold. Then again, most yankee boys & girls wouldn't know wat sudafedrine is... ;)
_emma_
Overbomber

Well I don't care about the condition of his voice as long as he wears that string vest again. :kiss:

But seriously, I think if he tries to sing rather quiet (I have an impression that's what he did last year, with the voice quieter than before but much more "pushed to the front" than before and so more audible - if you know what I mean - which in my opinion was a change for the better), then I'm sure he'll survive.
And besides what I like the most nowadays is the almost spoken versions of I Was Wrong. 8) :notworthy:
With the lights brighter, and less smoke. *sigh*
Jesus, I just cannot wait.
tristren
Amphetamine Filth

Methedrome wrote: Yes, the Sisters are engaging in a full scale tour. Yes, it seems rather uncharacteristic. Yes, the only thing predictable about The Sisters are their unpredictability.

And no, this is not a farewell tour, although I seem to be losing the war of public opinion on this one.
I'll go on the public record with you on this one. The point that if this was a farewell tour it would be advertised in some way, most likely unofficially is a strong one in my opinion.

As for the singing.. the yelps can bother me on the bootlegs, but I never notice them live. I put that down to a combination of bad recordings making the jump in sound overly tinny and jarring, and it just fitting in better in the heat of an actual concert.

I for one am looking forward to the Canadian shows I'm going to. I'm not really worried about his voice, even if that are a couple of weeks into it.

Tony

ETA:
Ps. What the hell is this about?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brad_Salyn
(by which I of course mean "In late-2005 he was in the studio with British goth band The Sisters Of Mercy, preparing for a 2006 release of their long-anticipated new album."

: )