Brussels, April 22nd

Gig reviews, set lists, thoughts, comments and observations on the mammoth 2006 25th Anniversary tour.
dave-kompas
Road Kill

yummie! :P
Ghostrider
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

sound was verry good, even from where i was standing (in the abck near the mixing boards..(wanna know which faders are for echo and which for the strobes? :p) but could have been a little bit louder though..

a little bit too much smoke though...could see Chris & Benn fine, but only saw Von 2 or 3 times the entire show.. :(

setlist was nice, oly missed "i was wrong" & "on the wire"
hope they were gonna play something xtra, like they usualy do in Belgium (amazing "sister ray" 8 years ago, "uptown top ranking" last year,..)
but Ribbons Flood 1 Giving ground Summer Slept Neverland Something fast Top nite out were all amazing!!
was a bit dissappointed in the short non screaming version of Romeo

was a bit surprised they didn't play a fast version of FALAA like in Lokeren last year..
the crowd really lost it during Lucretia, corrosion

the guitar work was one of the best I ever heard.. the "solo" parts during ribbons and something fast were a bit different, so that made them rock more than ever..i love it when "new ppl" bring in there own sound.
would have love to hear comfortably numb or Ghostrider medley with these 2 guys.. :p
they really played into the crowd, especially Chris during Top nite out..kinda greating the ppl on the balconies..

the crowd was rocking.. a bit too much from time to time, especially the guy hey lifted up in the middle who had to show off..

have some pics, but all you can see is smoke and crowd...
had a full recording.. but this morning my Hard drive got corrupted and it won't open anymore... gig length: 1h 23mins intro to last note
i did have a quick listen last night already, before it corrupted, and sound was medium quality (there are worse sisters boots).
i'm doing everything i can to recover it...but if i can't manage you'll have to wait untill may 12 for the next one...(getting a better spot that time, cause bass was overloaded and crowd too loud..)

hopefully won't have to work on may 11 so i can meet up with some of you in the AB Foyer..
i don't sleep, so i don't dream, so i don't wake up frightened...
everything is what it seems, if you look hard enough tonight and see...
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

Thanks for the reviews, pics and mp3 download... :notworthy:
"as we walk on the floodland"
fddkbe
Road Kill

A dutchspeaking newspaper (HBVL) this morning rated the gig 4/10. Apparently this reporters's first gig, as he complained about the smoke filling the entire room. Only the first rows could were really into the Sisters anno 2006, even songs as this corrosion and Alice sounded 'foggy' (I don't know where he was standing?? :lol: ). No emotion, no passion and the fact that you really did not get value for your money were the conclusions of this reporter - did anyone read anything different in the other papers ?
itnAklipse
Slight Overbomber

So the Sisters haven't gotten a single positive review on newspapers/magazines so far on this tour...well, i'm sure the integrity of the western system remains in check and any suggestion of major corporations having something against the Sisters due to the whole EW-thingie would be paranoid. And of course, would be impossible for a connection to exist since media is so untouchable and they just want to tell the truth to the world...
we've got beer and we've got fuel
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

GvA just gave it one star as well, but usually that's the same reviewer. I'll be back later with De Morgen and De Standaard :lol: (and a scan)
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
meat is murder
Road Kill

scan of the artikel in 't nieuwsblad...
http://users.telenet.be/silkentofu/sisters.pdf
MadameButterfly
HL's mystical safekeeper

A massive thank you to you all for the personal reviews, piccies, downloads, and all that! :notworthy: :D :notworthy:

You see, that jacket has improved! :von:
it's all about circles and spirals
that ongoing eternity
fddkbe
Road Kill

Obviousman wrote:GvA just gave it one star as well, but usually that's the same reviewer. I'll be back later with De Morgen and De Standaard :lol: (and a scan)
I didn't see anything in 'De Morgen' nor in 'de Standaard' - the return of :evil: Eddie Vedder and Folksongs on the Nekka Night were more important.
christophe
Overbomber

meat is murder wrote:scan of the artikel in 't nieuwsblad...
http://users.telenet.be/silkentofu/sisters.pdf
wow, that sounds rather positif, unlike the gazet van Antwerpen ... :x
radiojamaica
Overbomber

ooh, I just paid a quick visit to the AB forum... and guess what: nag nag nag :lol: Really. One girl really missed a drummer :wink: and another fella complained about the smoke & bad sound (he could only hear bass! So what's his problem then ;D ). Funny stuff, either way.

For what it's worth: There was no problem with the Brussels gig! 8)
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

fddkbe wrote:
Obviousman wrote:GvA just gave it one star as well, but usually that's the same reviewer. I'll be back later with De Morgen and De Standaard :lol: (and a scan)
I didn't see anything in 'De Morgen' nor in 'de Standaard' - the return of :evil: Eddie Vedder and Folksongs on the Nekka Night were more important.
Indeed, nothing at all :( Better luck tomorrow.

Thanks meat is murder for the review from het Nieuwsblad. I wonder if I the huge arms they were talking about belonged of anyone on here :lol:

Translations will follow :wink:
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
fddkbe
Road Kill

It's the same review in HBVL, from the same Ruud.
Sounds like a dutch guy. :roll: I don't think he'll be around the 11the. :innocent:
Ghostrider

maybe he was listening somewhere in the toilets...cause where i was standing the sound was amazing for an indoor gig! he pro'lly was standing on the upper balcony near the podium.. where you had less bass and and a weird echo..
Bejito
Road Kill

Hi to all...
About the show...i have mixed feelings about it...Let's get it straight, i absolutely love the sisters to death, and i did love the show but...yes there's a but...it lacked something...dunno, call it 'power' or that the gig wasn't all that convincingly brought... i expected that little bit more out of it. And my other gripe: wtf were some ppl thinking?? I have been in some of the craziest mosh pits imaginable but what was this one all about? It seemed to me a lot were just jumping coz they felt like behaving like idiots and not because they were in tune with the music and i felt really sorry for the ppl who were standing in the first row, they got squashed time and time again...No room for dancing whatsoever 8) And i don't know if ppl can recall that tall longhaired guy who was sprawling all over the floor...real funny...you ruined a good time for a lot of ppl who were unlucky enough to stand in your neighbourhood. It's okay to go crazy as long as your craziness doesn't affect other ppl trying to enjoy the concert.
One last thing, i was trying to record the entire show on my mp3 player (not a small feat when you consider i was trying to do this in the third row :D) but the quality of my recording is ***...like i thought the bass distorts everything (sounds like a good techno track for ppl who are into that s**t)...did anyone else in here succeed in making a good recording of the show; if so plllllleeeeeeeeeeasssssssseeeee let me know, coz i would love to have that.

PS: for those who were there, i was wearing a alice in chains shirt, maybe that some of you know who i am now...
Bejito
Road Kill

Oh, and why don't they play 'body electric' anymore? :( its one of my favourite songs
Badlander
Overbomber

Bejito wrote:Oh, and why don't they play 'body electric' anymore? :( its one of my favourite songs
Because :von: doesn't feel like playing that particular tune this time around, simple as that.
And welcome to HL. :notworthy:

Recording a gig on MP3 : wrong.
Recording from the third row : wrong.
No wonder your recording was crap. :wink: :lol:
I'd end this moment to be with you
Through morphic oceans I'd lay here with you
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

Badlander wrote:Recording from the third row : wrong.
No wonder your recording was crap. :wink: :lol:
Dunno, couple of people around taping most of the gigs from the first couple of rows :wink:

Welcome Bejito :D
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
frederik

[quote="Bejito"]Hi to all...
About the show...i have mixed feelings about it...Let's get it straight, i absolutely love the sisters to death, and i did love the show but...yes there's a but...it lacked something...dunno, call it 'power' or that the gig wasn't all that convincingly brought... i expected that little bit more out of it. And my other gripe: wtf were some ppl thinking?? I have been in some of the craziest mosh pits imaginable but what was this one all about? It seemed to me a lot were just jumping coz they felt like behaving like idiots and not because they were in tune with the music and i felt really sorry for the ppl who were standing in the first row, they got squashed time and time again...No room for dancing whatsoever 8) And i don't know if ppl can recall that tall longhaired guy who was sprawling all over the floor...real funny...you ruined a good time for a lot of ppl who were unlucky enough to stand in your neighbourhood. It's okay to go crazy as long as your craziness doesn't affect other ppl trying to enjoy the concert.

I totally agree with you on this one... :innocent: 8)
libby
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

First of all, I would like to thank everybody for sending in such interesting things about this great group. I'm now reading the forum for a few months, after I went to my first sisters concert in Lokeren. I went there with no great expectations but came home completely blown away. This time in Brussels I was standing in the first row so I could enjoy as much as possible of the show. And great it was again!!Second time is never as good as the first but they've got a new addict. See you next week in Amsterdam. Greetings Libby
Badlander
Overbomber

Welcome to HL, libby. :notworthy:

@ Z : you know I'm right. :P 8)
Ghostrider

Bejito wrote: did anyone else in here succeed in making a good recording of the show; if so plllllleeeeeeeeeeasssssssseeeee let me know, coz i would love to have that.
working on recovering it right now...
quality is medium.. as you said.. bass tried to ruin it...
had to get what i could so it recorded on mp3 aswell..

have some good news so far...recovered the file.. all 76Mb of it...
bad news is: can't open it in any way.. there are parts of it corrupted..and can't find a way to restore it...

tried all recover progs, checked my HDD fir the missing parts...
now i'm gonna try and see if i can't open it in an editing program...

i'll keep y'all updated on the progress
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

Badlander wrote:@ Z : you know I'm right. :P 8)
Nope, heard way to good stuff coming from front row ;D

Anyway, here's the review I scanned. It's not that good, but I reckon it'd be nice if you guys could get to read something as well - non-fan-approach and all that. Plusses: He didn't use the G-word, and writes The Sisters of Mercy throughout the interview, but that's about it :lol:
GvA 24/04/2006 - The Sisters of Mercy - * wrote:One big curtain of fog

How much does it hurt to see your teenage idols lose their face? That question was going round after the Brussels AB The Sisters of Mercy gig Saturday night. Because what the legendary Leeds new wave band ‘put’ on stage wasn’t worth too much. If ever the new album comes, Eldritch & Co will have to try harder.

Their album First and last and always still is a new wave classic. Back in 1980 when Gary Marx and Andrew Eldritch started their hobby project they immediately brand marked the eighties music with cult hits like Body and Soul, Temple of Love, Alice or This Corrosion. They haven’t produced a new record since 1993 but they still fill venues.

‘I was 18 in 1983’. That was the feeling we got Saturday night at AB. Lots of black clothes and accessories of all sorts of course, but hardly any high rising – laboured by whips or not – haircuts. That’s obviously mainly due to nature, because most of the men lack the hair for such creations. The same goes for band leader Andrew Eldritch, showing himself bald skulled wearing inseparable shades. He must be deeply ashamed by it. Because from minute one on the stage became invisible due to thick fog curtains which wouldn’t go away for the rest of the show and filled up the entire venue within seconds. Hardly anything to see for the fans that had paid a great deal for their tickets because of that.

Even worse was the fact the band sounded quite foggy, which resulted in a pudding of sound, showing hardly any emotion, or even passion. The fans on the first couple of rows didn’t mind – as per usual. But the majority wasn’t contented at all.

Old days’ hits like Alice, This Corrosion or Temple of Love couldn’t change that. Some stop at the summit, but that time is long gone for The Sisters of Mercy
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
Badlander
Overbomber

GvA 24/04/2006 - The Sisters of Mercy - * wrote: ‘I was 18 in 1983’.
And you're not anymore, that's just too bad. The sooner you accept it the better.
End of the line. :von:
Bejito
Road Kill

@Ghostrider: here's hoping you succeed

@Obviousman: i'm guessing you're into Millionaire and possibly Human League (your sig) :D

Thanks for the welcome y'all