critical error:phpBB

For you to give feedback to the Heartland moderators. Wish lists, fault reports, etc. You may get an answer, you may not. As in all things, it largely depends on how nicely you ask the people in charge... You're welcome.
James Blast
Banned

its a bit faster tonight, last night was like...

"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

2x at 2:55

Though at least it seems to be going a bit faster tonight
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

It's really fast now! :notworthy:

Or did I get used to slowliness? :innocent:
"as we walk on the floodland"
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

Nope, fast as hell today around 15 PM Leeds Mean Time.

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

Back again...after clicking "View New Posts" :roll:
"as we walk on the floodland"
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

No critical errors, but every page takes from 30 secs to a minute to load :|
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
James Blast
Banned

Obviousman wrote:No critical errors, but every page takes from 30 secs to a minute to load :|
yup, I'm swimming in sand again tonight
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
MadameButterfly
HL's mystical safekeeper

James Blast wrote:
Obviousman wrote:No critical errors, but every page takes from 30 secs to a minute to load :|
yup, I'm swimming in sand again tonight
indeed I'm swimming like James too and a bit more feedback although I don't know if it helps, but whilst lurking or being hidden *use it for reading* the critical error appears in another letter-type now although when I "refresh" working with Microsoft I might add, you do then get through...not logged on that is.

If this doesn't help I will shut up.
it's all about circles and spirals
that ongoing eternity
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

got the 'could not connect to database' error a couple of times just now (~12:46PM GMT, Sunday 22nd Jan)
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

lazarus corporation wrote:got the 'could not connect to database' error a couple of times just now (~12:46PM GMT, Sunday 22nd Jan)
Same here, and still going very slow at about 13.30 GMT...

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
Dark
Underneath the Rock

I got a new one at 13:48 Leeds Time:

phpBB : Critical Error

Error clearing sessions table

It's also slow as a paraplegic baby. Who's been run over. By a tank.
Debaser
Overbomber

Over the past few days I've had at least 6 critical errors....and three loses of temper at the slowness of the Board.

But hey I'm still smiling :D
Five cups of coffee just to be myself...when I'd rather be somebody else
James Blast
Banned

could it be the reintroduction of Petseri's beloved 'search function'?
~ Peter Steele
Dark
Underneath the Rock

I was wondering.. do you mean the Search function that sits between "Rules" and "Memberlist"?

If so, that's always worked for me. Unless there's something else I've missed.
_emma_
Overbomber

I'm not a geek and so I think there's no point in my reading this entire thread - I just wanted to report that I'm getting the same error too , for the 5th time today.
Petseri
Overbomber

James Blast wrote:could it be the reintroduction of Petseri's beloved 'search function'?
I hope not. :( As it is, it is currently disabled. Did QB describe how the database was getting repopulated page by page, which was slowing the system down. Am I dreaming?
James Blast
Banned

many too many 'criticals' tonight
~ Peter Steele
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

Seems it's going better tonight. This afternoon I nearly had one for every page I tried to load :eek:
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

:urff: :urff: :urff: :urff: :urff: :urff: :urff:

fwiw, the search function should be fully restored and working ok. thats not the problem anymore.

the problem lies with my s**t hosting company, who's crap IT-infrastructure means that the database server heartland uses cannot cope with this the number of concurrent connections the website is making to it.

its either a) connections locking up and then the db is falling over, or b) the db config isnt setup to allow enough concurrent connections for heartland.

i will complain to them again, but that will mean its the 3rd time in a week i've rung them. and its a premium rate number that puts you on hold for 15 minutes, and then routes to a call centre somewhere in the 3rd world, staffed by pc-illiterate monkeys who do not see the problem even when you tell them exactly whats going on with their computers. its futile. it really is.

i'm sorry.

i appreciate your constant status updates, but to be honest its not actually doing any good.

*I KNOW ITS RUNNING LIKE A DOG*

*I KNOW THERE A "PHPBB CRITICAL" ERRORS LEFT, RIGHT AND CENTER*

i get them all the time myself... :( :( :(

sorry to rant at you like this, and i know you are all just trying to help, but the state of this site really is doing my head in.

the thing is, i'm trapped. i cant just *move* web servers - i have at least 7 other websites running of this domain. not to mention the email accounts several of you have - if i moved, they would all be f**ked too.

i've looked at the options. i've got a lot of things going on right now and i just cannot afford buy any more hosting for heartland, while still running this pile of s**t. trustme, i'd darly love to move all my sites overbit by bit, but its industrial-grade hosting i need for heartland...it doesnt come that cheap :urff: :(

one potential saving grace is that the webserver and the database server thyat heartland uses dont have to be on the same physical computer.

in theory i could have the database hosted somewhere else while leaving all the web stuff as is. the only issue there is speed - the website would have to make a roundtrip out to the internet and back in order to get anything from the db. at the moment the db server is on the same internal network as the webserver, so its pretty fast. when it works.

but i'll try anything. so if anyone has their own public-facing *RELIABLE* mysql box with a fast connection, at least 200mb database size, unlimited bandwidth, and that offers some kind of telnet or ssh connection, i'd love to hear from you. it would have to be free, and so i know thats a big ask, you its worth a try innit? :?

anyway, i'm sorry. please... just stick with it for a while yeah? fingers crossed it will either get better by itself (f**king computers!) or i'll work something out.

last time when this all kicked off and i said how crap they were, a few people volunteered alternate hosting details - cellthree, for example, sent me some interesting stuff - if any of you have those contact/package details again i'd like to see them. its not funny anymore and its making me very angry when i think of the >200 quid a year this thing costs to run, and all the grief 1&1 cause me. i know i've said above that i cannot afford to run 2 hosting packages side by side, but as it stands i will consider trying anything.

meantime, please, just bare with me yeah?

thanks people 8)
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Petseri
Overbomber

Quiff Boy wrote:fwiw, the search function should be fully restored and working ok. thats not the problem anymore.
Will the search database be repopulated with words from all posts, or only those as of a certain date? I just entered "New" and "new" [once caps, once lower case], and came up with "No topics or posts met your search criteria". Any of the threads with "New York" at least should have appeared, no? Other topics similarly came up empty, even though the word entered is in threads. Other get hits, like "search", but not as many as expected. Is the restoration still being updated maybe?

Above all, do not spend any additional time tweaking the search function because I am a squeaky wheel. I can live without it.

I am curious, though.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

it should be full :|

i backed i up, and the there was approx 3 days before i managed to restore it. its likely that posts from that period missed out... maybe :?

:D

the db is now approx 140mb so there should be a hell of a lot of stuff in there now though... :D
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

fyi

table name: search_wordmatch
record count: 2,663,499
table size: 56.4 MB

:o :lol:
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

if it's any consolation barry i'm finding the whole thing shitloads quicker since the last down-time. getting the index to come up is quicker than it has been since i joined.
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

;D

thanks!!

actually, thanks for that index page speedboost must go to cellthree's mate alex, who spotted a line of code in the php that was slowing stuff down :D

it was getting all the user birthday information and then looping through each user to work out if their bday was in the next 7 days. it was pausing for 2 milliseconds each time - a line of code called "usleep()". :o which means that the more members, the more bdays, ergo the more loops & the more pauses. :o

bloody hell :roll:

a combination of that fix, and the new db seems to be doing the trick :D

i'm glad its better for everyone! ;)
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Ditto to Lee's post.

Quicker than a long meal through a short grandmother. 8)
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell