Reptile House ep cover

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
susky
Road Kill

Way way too much time on my hands at the moment.... Digging around looking for the origins of the Reptile House e.p. coverart (thanks to previous post I think I've located the national geographic article the inspiring image came from - Dec 1968 issue, I think). So, looks like there was some doctoring of the original image to get to the resulting Reptile House coverart. Here's how I think we get there:

original image from national geographic:

Isolate these two pieces (in red) and get rid of everything else:

Slap those two pieces (in red) together and add a murky, blurred image off to the right:

once it's colored violet and the lettering tacked on looks pretty close to this:

Voila! OK....sorry for that indulgence. Back to reality now...... :D
SteBacchus
Amphetamine Filth

And hey presto
I don't doubt and I don't take direction....
iesus
Overbomber

extraordinary :D
it makes sense now :!: :!:

thank you for contribution :)
'Are we the Baddies?'...
"Someday! Someday, everything you need, is just gonna fall out of the sky..." -A.E. Reading 1991
"Don't forget that most of the judges in witches trials had harvard degrees."
Being645
Above the Chemist

Good job, susky, eh Scott ... :D :notworthy: ....

* I've set a link to this thread in the Wiki, see Remarks... ;D ...
Last edited by Being645 on 02 Aug 2011, 22:55, edited 2 times in total.
Big Si
School Bully

Aye, many thanks susky :notworthy:
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

The "murky image" is probably a blow-up of a small section of the picture - perhaps the hair of one of the heads?
Any more of that and we'll be round your front door with the quick-setting whitewash and the shaved monkey.
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

:eek:

Impressive....
"as we walk on the floodland"
Silver_Owl
The Don

Good work. :wink:
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
Kutan
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Excellent work.

But I think only the lower part of the right section has been shifted to the left. The smiling face in the middle of the original photo fits the Reptile House cover better, IMHO.
Aazhyd
Amphetamine Filth

Can you also tell us when the new album will be released? That would be great.
Only the Americans could have built a place like this in the middle of a jungle.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Ozpat wrote::eek:

Impressive....
agreed. really good work there :eek: 8) :notworthy:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

You must be working on CIA, MI5 or 6 or Mossad. :eek: :notworthy:
Brad
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Kutan is right.
damagedone
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

cool
Keep Music Evil
susky
Road Kill

Kutan wrote:Excellent work.

But I think only the lower part of the right section has been shifted to the left. The smiling face in the middle of the original photo fits the Reptile House cover better, IMHO.
Good point. Well, it does look like the whole right section was shifted to the left, but yeah the middle bit (just below the face and just above the arch way) looks like it was cropped out so the face could drop into the center of the frame and sit on top of the arch. I'm sure Eldritch and co were using a snazzy pair of scissors and tape when they did this in order soften the edges and round it all out...as opposed to my blunt rectangular crop/cut/paste!

Also, on the Reptile House cover there's a bit more of the image along the bottom inch or so compared to the original pic I linked to above. Maybe the image that ran in the National Geographic mag was bigger than the one one the national geo website. I'm offically on the hunt for the original publication! Off to ebay now! :)
susky
Road Kill

Wow, so check this out....I just made my way over to ebay and located a copy of the Dec 1968 issue of National Geographic. Sure enough, there's the "Mekong, River of Terror and Hope" article listed on the cover which contained the Bayon pics used for the Reptile House e.p. cover. BUT! also across the bottom in the red banner (seemingly unrelated to the Mekong story) is an ad for a TV broadcast titled: "SEE 'REPTILES AND AMPHIBIANS' TUESDAY, DEC 3 on CBS TV'.

Check it out below. Reptiles! The plot thickens....

Kutan

I don't think the face you marked was cut and dropped on top of the arch, I think only the arch was cut and moved to the left. Then it would find its place below the "smiling face" (as I called it).

"Reptiles" indeed :)
This is too good to be just a coincidence.
susky
Road Kill

Kutan wrote:I don't think the face you marked was cut and dropped on top of the arch, I think only the arch was cut and moved to the left. Then it would find its place below the "smiling face" (as I called it).

"Reptiles" indeed :)
This is too good to be just a coincidence.
OK, yeah Kutan you're absolutely right. I didn't understand what you meant earlier but I see it now. Yes, only the arch was moved over from the portion on the right and now it seems to fall into place.

Here's a clunky retry via Microsoft Paint sticking it all back together and adding the murky bit on the right side....obviously lacking the essential dash of scissors/glue/xerox/DIY-magic though!

markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I think that's pretty much exact! :notworthy:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Kutan

Yeah, Scott, that's what I meant! :notworthy:
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

Wonder why they went to all the trouble of cutting and pasting when the final image (ie the record sleeve) is virtually impossible decipher unless you already know what it is. They'd have got pretty much the same effect for less effort.

And why the featureless section on the right rather than more detail from the original image?
Any more of that and we'll be round your front door with the quick-setting whitewash and the shaved monkey.
Kutan

Because Andrew simply did not like the original photo as it was?
susky
Road Kill

stufarq wrote:And why the featureless section on the right rather than more detail from the original image?
I think that's the sodium haze over there on the right :wink:
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

Kutan wrote:Because Andrew simply did not like the original photo as it was?
Yeah, I get that, but you can't see the photo after he'd finished with it. It's just a pink blur. Seems a lot of effort to create something no-one can make out.
susky wrote:
stufarq wrote:And why the featureless section on the right rather than more detail from the original image?
I think that's the sodium haze over there on the right :wink:
:lol:
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

Nice!

:notworthy: