Philadelphia reviews (31 October 2008)

Gig reviews, set lists, thoughts, comments and observations on the 2008/2009 Sisters tour, including the Autumn/Winter 2008 U.S. and European 2009 legs.
Eva
Intercontinental Assassin

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: go out to Philadelphia as a city, to the gig, the band and the people we've met: Cherie, Paula, Trevor and Caroline. It was so great to meet you all!!!! The show was wonderful (again, ) they played Amphetamine Logic instead of Flood one, the rest was the same. Sound problems some times, but it sounded dirty, punky and it was a stonking show again. one of the on liners: "For fucks sake vote!" "Ihr seid ja wieder nett heute" (You are so nice again tonight". Obviously the band was in top mood again, and what Ben does to his guitar during Lucretia is amazing!!!!

To cut a long story short: we definitely had a BLAST!!!! :D :D :D

And all these children on the streets in their halloween costumes are incredibly cute!!! :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
You can't fix stupid.
Prescott
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Amphetamine Logic! Woo-hoo! Any pics are audio?
"... because we're that kind of people."
KristinK
Road Kill

i was going to take videos but i couldn't see anything at all.

are their shows always so foggy?

they sounded amazing though
DancingtheGhost
Road Kill

@eva...sorry I didn't get to bid you a proper farewell. It took a little while but I managed to get my Postcards From Above the Chemist signed by :von: !!!! That book will go to the grave with me!

As far as the show...FANTASTIC!!! Great all around and since :von: was right in front of us practically the whole time, the view was awesome. He really looked to be enjoying himself up there. Having seen him before the show, it was amazing to see the transformation. When the doors 1st opened, he was standing by the merch booth, huddled up in his jacket & beanie, looking nervous and a bit shaky. Which is why, I just looked into those eyes & smiled, rather than whipping out a camera and taking a picture :) But once he put on the shades and hit the stage, it was magic. Also got to meet Ben & Chris after the show-they were both extremely nice, especially Ben. Had a pleasant little chat with him. All and all, well worth the time and money spent!!

Was a blast to meet Eva, Eggi, Cherie, Trevor, Caroline & Stephanie. Oh and there is still hope for the younger generation! Talked to a couple of 16 year olds, for which this was their 1st TSOM show. One is already a big fan & the other is being converted! I only wish I could go to more shows on this tour. Perhaps, with a little luck, I can hit one in late November. If not, I guess I'll have to wait for 2011 and the 30th anniversary tour :D
I bled all I can, I won't bleed no more
Silver_Owl
The Don

KristinK wrote:are their shows always so foggy?
:lol: :notworthy: :lol:

Yes. :|
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
DancingtheGhost
Road Kill

It wasn't that bad!! I had no problem seeing from where I was at. Too bad I don't know the 1st thing about video taping or recording a show :lol:
euphoria
Slight Overbomber

Eva wrote:The show was wonderful (again, ) they played Amphetamine Logic

Oh yes, oh yes, oh YES! Cannot wait to hear this version!

Eva wrote: "Ihr seid ja wieder nett heute"
To you and Eggi? :)

And, true, Philly is a very nice city!
Have fun the rest of the time and continue reporting :notworthy:
lachert
Overbomber

long live rock'n'roll
itnAklipse
Slight Overbomber

Eva wrote:they played Amphetamine Logic
UBG!
we've got beer and we've got fuel
DancingtheGhost
Road Kill

Still feeling the high from the show! In addition to Von telling people to vote, he made a few other references to Obama. He also remindes people that they "get what they vote/pay for". I can't recall exactly which word he used. I'm wondering though, is Obama the unofficial sponsor of the tour? :lol: The DC show will be great if he wins, but I shudder to think what it'll be like if he doesn't. Might affect Von's mood a bit. On another note, judging by the energy level on the stage last night, I think this line up has another good 10 years left in them! :notworthy:

30th anniversary tour!!!
msm67
Amphetamine Filth

Have to agree with all that's been said so far....killer gig! We all had a great time. I was thrilled with the energy & performance level. Band sounded really tight & Amphetamine Logic was a perfect Halloween treat :twisted: Sorry I missed meeting those there but we got there rather late. Anyhow, it was a fantastic night & I'm happy to say that The Girls are Back in Town! Anyone who complains about this tour, the way they did in 2006, needs electoshock therapy :lol:

As for :von: .... :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: Thank you!!!
Ghostrider
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

so setlist was?

groovy to see them play Logic.. can't wait to hear recording!!
i don't sleep, so i don't dream, so i don't wake up frightened...
everything is what it seems, if you look hard enough tonight and see...
DancingtheGhost
Road Kill

Did anyone at the show last night notice how those tiled blocks on the sidewalk around the venue, resemble the FGG logo? Just wondering... :innocent:
lachert
Overbomber

Ghostrider wrote:so setlist was?

groovy to see them play Logic.. can't wait to hear recording!!
Ghostrider, a specially for you:
01. Crash and Burn
02. Ribbons
03. Train/ Detonation Boulevard
04. Will I Dream
05. Amphetamine Logic
06. Marian
07. Alice
08. Anaconda
09. Giving Ground
10. We Are the Same Suzanne
11. Dominion/ Mother Russia
12. Summer
13. Still
14. First and Last and Always
15. Romeo Down
16. Flood II

17. Something Fast
18. Vision Thing

19. Lucretia My Reflection
20. Top Nite Out
21. Temple of Love

i wasn't there but from what i feel it should be like that ;D
long live rock'n'roll
Garbageman

First time post but been seeing the Girls live since 84...Nov 11th Atlanta here we go!!!
Like pushing a marsmallow into a piggy bank
If_It_Makes_You_Happy
Road Kill

Kimmycat
Road Kill

Wow! Thanks for posting those, I enjoyed them both and I got a good atmospheric feel from them. I can't f-ing wait until November 20!
Come here I think you're beautiful
bismarck

Back from Philly. Well worth the drive.

I must say, this is the best Sisters I've ever seen: Simon the Nurse, Ben, Chris, Dave the New Soundman, and the singer... er, Andrew Aldrige? The sound was really great, and I am reliably informed that it was even better on previous nights of this tour.

I could've used more new or new-old songs (Valentine would be nice, Good Things, whatever), but the setlist was good, and 'twas nice to hear Still live. Also great to not hear Slept - that song's pretty weak methinks. Can we please have something off The Reptile House? Almost any song would do, but Burn, Kiss, and Valentine would be my choices.

But mostly, I have to agree with someone's post, can't remember who wrote it: "The Sisters are brand new."

I've seen dates in 85,91,98,99,03,and 06, and last night they were definitely the most exciting I've ever seen, no kidding. In 06, Ben was too new, and the soundman ... let's see, how can I put this charitably? ... sucked. Now, the band is tight tight tight and there are new guitar parts in a lot of the songs, most interestingly (to my mind) in Giving Ground, FloodII, and Lucretia. I love Ben's Bon Jovi riffs in Summer. The guitarists' youth and energy is clearly infectious, as the band seems renewed. But much much credit must go to Dave the New Soundman. Someone - who was it? - shouted out: "give your new soundman a raise!" before the encore. True that. It's revolutionary, the difference.

Oh, the merch stand. I think the button set is badass! Must get me another one at NYC.

Last but not least it was great to see all Heartländers, Eva and Eggi_1, Paula and Cherry. I'm psyched for New York, and so are all of you!

~ Trevor aka Bismarck
Ghostrider
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

seriously, nobody recorded Logic? :o
i don't sleep, so i don't dream, so i don't wake up frightened...
everything is what it seems, if you look hard enough tonight and see...
Eva

Ghostrider wrote:seriously, nobody recorded Logic? :o
Wait for it. :wink:
You can't fix stupid.
Eva

euphoria wrote:
Eva wrote: "Ihr seid ja wieder nett heute"
To you and Eggi? :)
To everybody. Apparently he has a habit of speaking german with english/american audiences... :lol:
You can't fix stupid.
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

KristinK wrote:i was going to take videos but i couldn't see anything at all.
You should have. Those video's rock! ;D

Thanks for all the reviews etc. :D
"as we walk on the floodland"
Kurbythegreat
Amphetamine Filth

WOW!!
Those are great vids.
Much much appreciated!!
"We left you sleeping. Now we are sleeping with you. Don't wake up."
KristinK
Road Kill

what was the opening bands name? i didnt catch it :(
Multifaceted
Road Kill

We are not worthy! go out to Philadelphia as a city
Did you take a walk around the city that day? I did some clothes/music/piercing (er...yeah) shopping around the 4th and 5th areas of South Street. I walked out of the piercing parlor and there literally was a river of people walking along South St. after the parade. It probably lasted for well over an hour, and by that time I decided to go up to some other street to find my way back easier.

Because of all the people, the traffic was kind of scarce or at a standstill, which was kind of nice. It reminded me of little town I grew up in, where I could walk around in the middle of the streets whenever I wanted.
"For fucks sake vote!" "Ihr seid ja wieder nett heute" (You are so nice again tonight".
Oh, so that's what he said when I could barely understand him. :lol: The "just vote for f**k's sake!" and "the world is watching" were cool in my book, but to be honest I didn't like the Obama comments...even though that's who I'm voting for. I just really hate anything that reeks of preaching; it's a feeling that runs in the family. Also, if I'm not mistaken, instead of "this war is wrong" it was "these wars are wrong".
Was a blast to meet ... & Stephanie.
Hi again! I was thinking about you, and the more I thought about it, I thought it was kind of annoying that you of all people couldn't even get to meet Andrew Eldritch.

And this probably sounds stalkerish, but you know, years from now I'm going to randomly wonder how you're doing. (Sorry, I'm odd; sometimes when I listen to the Dead Milkmen I randomly think about the guy I met in Philly at the last Sisters show, who wanted Eldritch to draw a cow on his arm. Which probably makes no sense unless you know who the Dead Milkmen are...)
Oh and there is still hope for the younger generation! Talked to a couple of 16 year olds, for which this was their 1st TSOM show.
Hahaha, you'll never believe it... after I walked out of the club that night I went to see if those kids were still waiting around outside alone. I took a peek around the corner and saw Chris, Ben, Andrew, et al. running to their bus. Then I looked behind me and saw those two coming back from the Wawa down the road because one wanted a Coke. :lol:
what was the opening bands name? i didnt catch it Sad
Hypernova. And I'm sorry I didn't get to see them outside of Worcester as I did in Philly (before I knew what they sounded like). I wanted to tell them they were a thousand times more entertaining than the band The Sisters had in 06, and they made the show that much better because of it. :)