3 Nov 2008 -- New York is history

Gig reviews, set lists, thoughts, comments and observations on the 2008/2009 Sisters tour, including the Autumn/Winter 2008 U.S. and European 2009 legs.
EvilBastard
Overbomber

I am by no means an authority on Sisters live shows - 6 in 16 years doesn't make me an expert - but tonight was the first time I've really seen them have fun on stage. I really got the impression that they were out for themselves tonight - they wanted to have a good time, and if the audience did as well then great, but if not, well fcuk 'em. Ben & Chris turned in a polished performance, :von: did what he does best, but I swear, it really looked like he was having fun - effortless, let's do this thing.
Hypernova as a support band was perfect. I've seen gigs where the support act gets booed and jeered, and I've always been slightly saddend by it. They guys kick some serious butt, though. Additional upside is that they are based in Brooklyn so they'll be playing more gigs after this tour. We ran into them outside the bar as they were leaving, nice people, very happy to be playing support for the girls, serious musicians.

I like this tour - my only regret is that I won't be seeing any more gigs. However, Eva is taking big hugs from me for Sinnie in New Haven tomorrow night, and I know it's going to be a great night. Great to hook up with Bis and Petseri.

I've come home from gigs feeling slightly anti-climactic, but not tonight. The good reviews from previous shows on this tour have been bang on, and tonight's show bears out the truth of them. A good time was had by all, I think.

I shall go to bed tired and happy 8)

PS And we did get to see :von: come out with his minder, all bundled up but still wearing his shades. He didn't say hello, but who cares.
"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
vicus
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Setlist anybody?
Catfood? ;-)
"Am Anfang wurde das Universum erschaffen.
Das machte viele Leute sehr wütend und wurde allenthalben als Schritt in die falsche Richtung angesehen."

http://www.poison-door.net/
EvilBastard
Overbomber

vicus wrote:Setlist anybody?
Catfood? ;-)
Couldn't tell you - Vision Thing, Crash & Burn, We Are The Same Suzanne, Flood, and they turned This Corrosion into a karaoke number, but other than that...I'm still on a gig high, people with better memories than mine should be able to help, though 8)

And make mine Whiskas, please :lol:
Hank Moody
Silver_Owl
The Don

Thanks for the review EB. I'm getting the feeling by the time they get back to Europe they will be as tight as hell..let's just hope they're still enjoying themselves as much. :wink:

Any suprises in the set? Any new new songs by any chance? :D

Edit: You answered my question before I posted. Incredible :lol:
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
lachert
Overbomber

corrosion :eek: another "new track"? i didn't see such setlist mixing from long time. they just like mad barman :lol:
long live rock'n'roll
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

Thanks for the nice review! :notworthy:

Waiting for that setlist to arrive... :D
"as we walk on the floodland"
bismarck

the show was amazing. truly amazing. we had this corrosion + neverland among others. a great pre-election day version of vision thing with von saying, "the world is watching you... do the right thing!". unfortunately my recording didn't quite work out as planned - sorry everyone. i'm a novice at it - got nothing except the encores (something fast, vision thing, lucretia, snub nose, temple). anyway... this corrosion had some sound problems but it gives you an idea of what it must've sounded like by the sisterhood. crunchy, industrial, groovy. the newest old-new song, still, had - it seems to me - almost brand new lyrics in the verses. everyone had a great time, band + audience. sold-out venue, crowd super enthusiatic, singing, dancing, shouting. i overheard a group of people at the bar complaining that it was all pre-recorded. but... wait for it... they were all english (well, one seemed scottish), so ease up on us yanks, people. this is the best sisters of mercy i've seen and heard. if they do an album with this lineup it could be all the old songs and they'd all sound brand spanking new. as i said in the philly thread, the guitar work on flood I and giving ground is particularly novel. i'm pretty pissed off that my recording fucked up, but the experience was great. good to see all the heartlanders. setlist was pretty normal: no logic, no romeo down, but corrosion and neverland instead. other than that, same as philly, or just about. see you folks in new haven. hopefully i'll figure out the minidisc this time. i'll post tonight's encores as mp3 files (decent quality) as soon as someone pm's me and tells me how to do it. minidisc -> mac osx. thanks!

DON'T MISS THIS TOUR
Ghostrider
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

thanks a lot for the review :notworthy: ..
sounds like they are realy enjoying themselves.. and that brings out the best in them.. it looks like Ben's en Chris' energetic yought are the best thing that could happen to our beloved sisters after 25 years.. reborn..
bismarck wrote:as soon as someone pm's me and tells me how to do it. minidisc -> mac osx. thanks!
from minidisc, imo best go is connect it to your line-in of your pc/mac and record it to your system this way.. just play around with recording settings first so you have best levels for everything.. (i used this way back when i was a dj and recorded live sets on minidisc.. )
i don't sleep, so i don't dream, so i don't wake up frightened...
everything is what it seems, if you look hard enough tonight and see...
dinky daisy
Slight Overbomber

never land. I like that.
guns & cars & accidents
lachert
Overbomber

so i belive that setlist was:

01. Crash and Burn
02. Ribbons
03. Train/ Detonation Boulevard
04. Will I Dream
05. This Corrosion
06. Marian
07. Alice
08. Anaconda
09. Giving Ground
10. We Are the Same Suzanne
11. Dominion/ Mother Russia
12. Summer
13. Still
14. First and Last and Always
15. Never Land
16. Flood II

17. Something Fast
18. Vision Thing

19. Lucretia My Reflection
20. Top Nite Out
21. Temple of Love

please someone confirm ;D
long live rock'n'roll
dummkopf
Amphetamine Filth

lachert wrote:so i belive that setlist was:

01. Crash and Burn
02. Ribbons
04. Will I Dream
05. This Corrosion
06. Marian
07. Alice
08. Anaconda
09. Giving Ground
12. Summer
13. Still
15. Never Land
16. Flood II

17. Something Fast
18. Vision Thing

20. Top Nite Out
21. Temple of Love

no, not in that order, unless those bunch of bar 119 pints really got to me....
dummkopf
Amphetamine Filth

EvilBastard wrote:
bismarck wrote:So what bar are you going to at 7? The one I suggested? Can we get a consensus on a meeting there?
Yep, the bar you suggested - I'll see if I can get the right one and not the one full of yuppie scum! ;D

I think I've still got your number from last time, if I get lost I'll text you 8)
fun hang with ya. :notworthy:
glad to hear you all had a great time. I wasn;t feeling the new arrangements of the old songs so much but I'm not the one to s**t on anyone's parade. I liked Alice.
adrenachr0me
Road Kill

I last saw The Sisters in 1991, three times on that tour (which given I was in high school was like the second coming at the time). I must say that, other than the vocals on Andrew (turn them up or something) they sounded far better then they did anytime I saw them in 1991. I agree that they looked liked they were having fun, not sure about Andrew (he looked bummed at times about his mic to my eyes) but they just went out and did it and kicked some ass. Fun show, good time, glad I got to see them again.

I tend to like the old OLD stuff (Burn, Fix, Lights, etc) but was happy to hear Marian sounds better than I expected. Alice was good and of the new stuff I still like Suzanne best. Vision thing brought memories of 1991 and I wish i could have heard Ribbons better (my fav from that era). I didn't like the "rock" version of Something Fast (another favorite) but have heard it done that way before and it could have been worst. All the "Floodland" material was nice to hear again too.

I even like the tour shirts (well t-shirts), they were new too me.

The opening band was actually not that bad, far better than I expected and that thir myspace page lead me to believe.

Fun night. Great band. Here are my pictures, use them as you wish and blog away (I left all the privacy controls open on flickr so anyone can do anything they wish with them). Some I rather enjoy given what I took them with (FYI, they are in reverse order, so go to page three to start the show);

http://flickr.com/photos/adrenachr0me

Highlights include;

BTW, hello everyone, first post for me. I've lurked on this board for a few months now, since I first found out about this 2008 tour. Thought I'd give a little back...
Last edited by adrenachr0me on 04 Nov 2008, 17:53, edited 1 time in total.
Nicole
Amphetamine Filth

bismarck wrote:we had this corrosion + neverland among others.
:eek: Neverland - really? Really really? Oh dear god please play Neverland in Chicago - that song gives me goosebumps and chokes me up every time I hear it. Boy would I LOVE to hear them do the full length version with all the lyrics live.
That goes for Flood II as well (the goosebumps and getting choked up, not the full length part :) ), but at least I got to hear that last time around (but I think it makes a perfect close to the opening set, before the encores, which is where it looks like it is being played)
That setlist looks phenomenal - only thing that would make it better for me is the addition of something from Reptile House (Kiss or Lights especially)
...with the wind in our face and our arms open wide...
bismarck

lachert wrote:so i believe that setlist was:

01. Crash and Burn
02. Ribbons
04. Will I Dream
05. This Corrosion
06. Marian
07. Alice
08. Anaconda
09. Giving Ground
12. Summer
13. Still
15. Never Land
16. Flood II

17. Something Fast
18. Vision Thing

20. Top Nite Out
21. Temple of Love

Right songs, wrong order ... and we did not get Will I Dream, but got Flood I instead.

I am almost positive it's this:

01. Crash and Burn
02. Ribbons
04. Flood I
05. Marian
06. Alice
07. Anaconda
08. Giving Ground
09. We Are the Same Suzanne
10. Dominion/ Mother Russia
11. Summer
12. This Corrosion
13. Still
14. Never Land
15. First and Last and Always
16. Flood II

17. Something Fast
18. Vision Thing

20. Top Nite Out
21. Temple of Love

Thanks j-b + others for tips about audio posting. is there a good way to get the minidisc tracks into the Mac using the digital (red light) cable? And links to any software necessary will be great. I work today and then I'm doing New Haven tonight, so we can look for the NYC encores tomorrow maybe.
DocSommer
Slight Overbomber

Thanks j-b + others for tips about audio posting. is there a good way to get the minidisc tracks into the Mac using the digital (red light) cable? And links to any software necessary will be great.
Shure - but you will need an optical input with a fitting jack at your steve jobs device. Then you can use an editor like Audacity to record the MD content via sp/dif (digital input) and split the tracks.
bismarck

DocSommer wrote:
is there a good way to get the minidisc tracks into the Mac using the digital (red light) cable?
Sure - but you will need an optical input with a fitting jack at your steve jobs device. Then you can use an editor like Audacity to record the MD content via sp/dif (digital input) and split the tracks.
Thanks Doc. Got the digital input on the Mac. how can I get the Audacity software? C'est free?
jenzi-benzi

Ozpat
From the Lowlands

Very nice pics adrenachr0me!! :notworthy:
and welcome to HL! :D
"as we walk on the floodland"
originalgoth

As Ozpat said,
great pics adrenachr0me & Welcome to the caberet.
And I ride down the Highway 101
By the side of the ocean, headed for Sunset

Black Planet according to originalGoth
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hYeYgNIntQ
bismarck

Thanks for all the help. Audacity was great. I managed to get an mp3 of Vision Thing. I would be grateful if someone could volunteer to post it in this thread, as I don't know how, plus I have to leave for New Haven in 30 or 40 minutes.... I can email the file to you. Please PM me your email address, or post it here! The rest to follow tomorrow.
The great questions of the day will not be
resolved by speeches and majority decisions,
but by iron and blood.
- Otto von Bismarck
DrG

It sounds like this was definitely a great gig! I really wish I was there! :cry:

Thanks for the pics adrenachr0me!

Also, I cannot wait to hear your recording bismarck! :wink:

Thanks for making the effort... it can be a bit stressing when you just want to
shove your way up front, scream and jump around! :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :lol:
wah-hoo
let's do the war on drugs

Trip the light fantastic
EvilBastard
Overbomber

Hom_Corleone wrote:Edit: You answered my question before I posted. Incredible :lol:
Really? I always had you figured for a Kat-e-Kat kinda guy :lol:
Hank Moody
Garbageman

Shame they did not keep Amphetamine Logic in there
Like pushing a marsmallow into a piggy bank
DocSommer
Slight Overbomber

bismarck wrote:Thanks for all the help. Audacity was great. I managed to get an mp3 of Vision Thing. I would be grateful if someone could volunteer to post it in this thread, as I don't know how, plus I have to leave for New Haven in 30 or 40 minutes.... I can email the file to you. Please PM me your email address, or post it here! The rest to follow tomorrow.
Hi - try rapidshare.com, that's really self-explaining. If it's not: docsommer2000 at yahoo.de