New Haven (later)

Gig reviews, set lists, thoughts, comments and observations on the 2008/2009 Sisters tour, including the Autumn/Winter 2008 U.S. and European 2009 legs.
bismarck
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Amazing show. Full review later... i just got back to NYC. Setlist was like last night. Eldritch played the whole show with his laptop open near him, always checking the election results, showing the screen to the first few rows a few times. When Obama won everyone went crazy, mostly me. E. stopped singing entirely and just said, "I'm so happy for you," and "From the rest of the world, thank you!" and then everyone - band + audience - was in a GREAT mood all night. A lot of talking in the middle of songs... entire verses were left out of a few songs in favor of banter. It was magical. Singing and whooping, shouting and drinking in the streets afterwards from New York to New Haven, California to Chicago. Huge crowds, in tears, dancing in the middle of traffic and crying from joy. We are all so happy.
The great questions of the day will not be
resolved by speeches and majority decisions,
but by iron and blood.
- Otto von Bismarck
Ghostrider
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

bismarck wrote: E. stopped singing entirely and just said, "I'm so happy for you," and "From the rest of the world, thank you!" and then everyone - band + audience - was in a GREAT mood all night. A lot of talking in the middle of songs... entire verses were left out of a few songs in favor of banter. It was magical.
now THAT i want to hear recorded! :notworthy:
i don't sleep, so i don't dream, so i don't wake up frightened...
everything is what it seems, if you look hard enough tonight and see...
bismarck

Ghostrider wrote:
bismarck wrote: E. stopped singing entirely and just said, "I'm so happy for you," and "From the rest of the world, thank you!" and then everyone - band + audience - was in a GREAT mood all night. A lot of talking in the middle of songs... entire verses were left out of a few songs in favor of banter. It was magical.
I got it all. plus they played the Star Spangled Banner (US National Anthem). Recordings tomorrow (night for Europeans).
lachert
Overbomber

wow. i'm confused with this eldritch-obama thing. it looks for real friendship :D
long live rock'n'roll
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

:eek:

Sounds like an excellent experience Bis! :notworthy:
Thanks for the review.
"as we walk on the floodland"
xfloorshowx

lachert wrote:wow. i'm confused with this eldritch-obama thing. it looks for real friendship :D
I guess Obama is the first president since Nixon that Von likes.. why not celebrate it with a bass player and some new catchy tunes for the european tour 8)
euphoria
Slight Overbomber

I cannot believe what I'm reading, I knew he supported Obama, but this kind of emotions sounds so untypical...he isn't about to release an album, is he? :wink:

Sounds like a spectacular night to remember! Did he *sing* the anthem too, or was it just instrumental?
bismarck

euphoria wrote:I cannot believe what I'm reading, I knew he supported Obama, but this kind of emotions sounds so untypical...he isn't about to release an album, is he? :wink:

Sounds like a spectacular night to remember! Did he *sing* the anthem too, or was it just instrumental?
The joyful celebrating was in the streets afterwards, unconnected to the Sisters show, but everyone was enthused inside too. Just not quite crying. The anthem was a guitar piece at the end of the set, which is why I forgot to mention it at first. But Eldritch has always been a political animal, and US politics has far-reaching implications, for Europe as well as other places. Obama's election is cause for massive celebrations, in The Sisters camp and everywhere... maybe you just have to feel the mood here? It feels like the end of oppression is near. That may seem dramatic to some, but there is joy in the streets, and it was felt in the gig, too. Eldritch had a HUGE smile on for the 2nd half. The news broke during Dominion.
lachert
Overbomber

i don't want talk about politic but...
it's great that bush is gone (he wasn't the wiser guy i saw) but to be so euphoric for obama is pretty strange. in poland we've got similar situation last time when people can't watch or listen to our previous gov and they go massivly vote for "something new" just to rid off these old guys but now it looks that something new is the same old song. politicians are just dogs. i tell you :D
long live rock'n'roll
Ghostrider

bismarck wrote:
Ghostrider wrote:
I got it all. plus they played the Star Spangled Banner (US National Anthem). Recordings tomorrow (night for Europeans).
looking forward to it.. :) :notworthy: :notworthy:
i don't sleep, so i don't dream, so i don't wake up frightened...
everything is what it seems, if you look hard enough tonight and see...
dinky daisy
Slight Overbomber

there's a negative side on Obama being the president.

No Vision Thing II. No 'This war is wrong'. No pissed off Eldritch singing Vision Thing from his cock.
guns & cars & accidents
itnAklipse
Slight Overbomber

Yeah, lachert. :) Mebbe it's more about democrats winning over republicans than about Obama per se.

dinky: i think Obama may well still arrange something, such as a war, that warrants something to the tune of Vision Thing and 'This war is wrong!'. Hope i'm wrong.
Last edited by itnAklipse on 05 Nov 2008, 13:54, edited 1 time in total.
we've got beer and we've got fuel
_emma_
Overbomber

lachert wrote:they go massivly vote for "something new" just to rid off these old guys but now it looks that something new is the same old song. politicians are just dogs. i tell you :D
I don't know if it's a Polish mentality thing, or the old punk rock songs still present somewhere in the heart, but I have to say that I agree with you totally. It's all nothing more than Animal Farm after all, and I just don't believe that any honest human being would ever want to be involved in the race for political power.
Still, this Obama guy looks nice, I like the fact that he is not white. 8) It would be even better if he were a black woman though. ;D
Now back on topic, I badly need to see some photos of the smiling Andrew, please. :notworthy:
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

_emma_ wrote:Now back on topic, I badly need to see some photos of the smiling Andrew, please. :notworthy:
I don't have any photos, sadly, but Andrew was most definitely smiling last night. I promise to post more later (I'm stuck at work and running on 4 hours' sleep :eek: :( :lol:), but what I've dubbed "Eldritch Presents: An Intimate Evening With The Sisters" was just perfect, in my book. Christ, what a night! ;D :notworthy: :von:
I left my heart in Ballycastle... :cry: :cry: :cry:
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

dinky daisy wrote:No pissed off Eldritch singing Vision Thing from his cock.
Wanna bet? We got it last night! :P

Though I doubt ol' Android was pissed off - he seemed elated, as a matter of fact! Rare form, great mood, lots of between-song banter. He kept passing his little laptop to us lucky f*cks in the front row (I kinda-sorta snatched it off him, at one point :eek: :oops: :innocent:), so that we could watch the U.S. election results in real-time. Seriously ass-kicking. \m/

ETA: I'll post the setlist later, unless someone else beats me to it!
_emma_
Overbomber

Why oh why isn't it possible for this Obama Mister to win his elections during every Sisters gig? :|
Nicole
Amphetamine Filth

bismarck wrote:
Ghostrider wrote:
Got it all - the whole show? Or just the comments? Either way, I cannot WAIT to hear it. It sounds like a very atypical Sisters how - hell, atypical show for anybody. Passing the laptop to the front rows so they can watch - all the banter - joyful mood - bet there'll be lots of banter tonight in DC. Maybe Chicago in a couple weeks too. Damn, I only live 2 hours away, wish I would have gone to the rally in Grant Park myself. Apparently they had no crowd problems either, even as they were all leaving - all the pics of spontaneous gatherings in the streets, from across the country last night, are really incredible.
...with the wind in our face and our arms open wide...
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

bismarck wrote:Amazing show. Full review later... i just got back to NYC. Setlist was like last night. Eldritch played the whole show with his laptop open near him, always checking the election results, showing the screen to the first few rows a few times. When Obama won everyone went crazy, mostly me. E. stopped singing entirely and just said, "I'm so happy for you," and "From the rest of the world, thank you!" and then everyone - band + audience - was in a GREAT mood all night. A lot of talking in the middle of songs... entire verses were left out of a few songs in favor of banter. It was magical. Singing and whooping, shouting and drinking in the streets afterwards from New York to New Haven, California to Chicago. Huge crowds, in tears, dancing in the middle of traffic and crying from joy. We are all so happy.
:oops: Next time, I'll scroll through the whole thread, first...
Trevor, you complete b@stard, you, beating me to the review by hours! :P :lol: :notworthy: Wonderful to see you again, man! Yep, "magical" sums it up quite nicely!
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

_emma_ wrote:
lachert wrote:they go massivly vote for "something new" just to rid off these old guys but now it looks that something new is the same old song. politicians are just dogs. i tell you :D
I don't know if it's a Polish mentality thing, or the old punk rock songs still present somewhere in the heart, but I have to say that I agree with you totally. It's all nothing more than Animal Farm after all, and I just don't believe that any honest human being would ever want to be involved in the race for political power.
Still, this Obama guy looks nice, I like the fact that he is not white. 8) It would be even better if he were a black woman though. ;D
Now back on topic, I badly need to see some photos of the smiling Andrew, please. :notworthy:
it's rather matter of history of politics- they are always the same even if they change the clothes.

and on topic not only pics, but moving pics could be. ;D :innocent:
robertzombie
Overbomber

Sounds like a fantastic gig, looking forward to hearing the recording!
originalgoth

bismarck wrote:
Ghostrider wrote:
That recording will surely go down in Sisters History as a night to remember & to all of the lucky ones that were there it must have been magical to see :von: so happy & talkative - it must have been like he was saying "Oh, forget singing, I want to keep up with the election, I can sing anytime" :lol: :lol:
And I ride down the Highway 101
By the side of the ocean, headed for Sunset

Black Planet according to originalGoth
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hYeYgNIntQ
originalgoth

SINsister wrote:
ETA: I'll post the setlist later, unless someone else beats me to it!
This setlist would look a bit like...........

Ribbons / Obama wins in New York / Ribbons
Crash And Burn / Obama wins in Conneticut / Crash And Burn
Train/Detonation Boulevard / Obama wins in Virginia

You get the picture
:lol: :lol: :lol:
And I ride down the Highway 101
By the side of the ocean, headed for Sunset

Black Planet according to originalGoth
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hYeYgNIntQ
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

originalgoth wrote:That recording will surely go down in Sisters History as a night to remember & to all of the lucky ones that were there it must have been magical to see :von: so happy & talkative - it must have been like he was saying "Oh, forget singing, I want to keep up with the election, I can sing anytime" :lol: :lol:
It was mind-blowing - especially since the stage at Toad's is only about 4' high, and the security barrier was set up only a couple of feet from the stage. Talk about intimate - Von repeatedly set up shop directly in front of Eva and me, one booted foot perched casually atop the closest monitor; Chris spent much of his stage time deftly playing rock god on our side of the monitors, as well. :twisted:
I was really hoping that neither of them saw me forget the words a couple of times... :innocent: :eek: Seriously intimidating, and quite profound. I grinned like a fool all night. ;D
_emma_
Overbomber

Whatever the idiom "to set up shop" means, I suppose I should envy you a lot. *sigh*
Bill Hicks
Amphetamine Filth
Location: stuck inside of my mobile with the Memphis blues again.

WOW!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Fantastics news -, both the recording and the actual gig!

Interesting times.