St. Petersburg -- indeed a quiet place (reviews)

Gig reviews, set lists, thoughts, comments and observations on the 2008/2009 Sisters tour, including the Autumn/Winter 2008 U.S. and European 2009 legs.
desiredimagetampa.com
Road Kill

We arrived @ 8pm and were afraid it had been cancelled. There was the tour bus out front but the place looked empty. It was about 1/3 full, maybe....joked it looked empty from outside because of all the black (of course I was just as guilty)
The first band was great, joy division-esque vocals, bauhaus-ish guitar riffs. Nice, Loud, Groovy.
Then my favorite band ever, whom I've seen on both sides of this continent, but never so close to my home in Tampa, strolled out in thick fog.
It's an outdoor venue so no worries like those in Richmond. Set list matched up pretty close as listed previously.
But the mic seemed to be off for our man Andrew. He was frustrated, calling the roadies over to fix it. It never got fixed. At times I thought maybe Andrew was sick,losing his voice, but I realized it was the crowds' singing along so badly out of tune. (Myself included) I tried to help out too, singing my very best karaoke but then they play everything so different than recorded 20 years ago, it's hard to keep up the tempo, and you couldn't hear him to keep yourself on track anyway. My husband kept asking "is he even singing?"
People were yelling "we still love you" and I was really afraid he would become angry with the ridiculous problems, but he just kept on trucking. Didn't really stop to let the guys fix it, though. Just seemed to want it to be over. I knew temple of love would be the last song, so I made my way over to get the t shirt just before it finished. Wouldnt you know it, Andrew must have been feeling bad or something cause he spent a bunch of time bowing to everyone in the front row, i don't recall him ever showing any interest in anyone in the crowd before.
He had the yellow shirt on someone also mentioned previously. Couldn't hear him but could see him! I don't think he smoked any cigarettes. Jannus Landing has this ridiculous pole center stage, which he stayed behind alot.
some people talked through the whole show..and it never really filled up. I think the Tampa/St. Pete area blew it as far as having much of hope of them returning...We always have to drive to Orlando!!
Petseri
Overbomber

Thanks for the review, and welcome to Heartland. ;D

From your username, I thought that we had a spammer slip though the cracks. :oops:
bismarck
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Thank you desiredimage. It's always nice to have someone new come on and give a review.

I've also notied that Andy is very very gracious this time through. He says "thanks for asking us, thanks for being here," every night that I've heard so far, and the bows at the end are also standard. It seems he's embraced a certain humility, which is interesting and sorta nice, too.

The setlist is also by far the most "greatest-hits" we've ever heard from them. Just look at it! While he's in a "giving us what we want" mood, then, I suggest we ask for the new album.

Finally, any audio recordings from the show?

Thanks again for the review.
The great questions of the day will not be
resolved by speeches and majority decisions,
but by iron and blood.
- Otto von Bismarck
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

bismarck wrote: Finally, any audio recordings from the show?
That would be a karaoke show then! :wink:

Thanks for the review and welcome to HL. :)
"as we walk on the floodland"
originalgoth

Did anyone make a note of the setlist ?
And I ride down the Highway 101
By the side of the ocean, headed for Sunset

Black Planet according to originalGoth
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hYeYgNIntQ
DrG

Ozpat wrote:
That would be a karaoke show then! :wink:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

That sounds likely... but then again many recordings of gigs sound like that! :wink:

Sorry your experience was plagued by sound trouble desiredimagetampa. :urff:

Thanks for the review and welcome to Heartland! 8)
wah-hoo
let's do the war on drugs

Trip the light fantastic