all you need to know after Cincinnati (14.XI.2008)

Gig reviews, set lists, thoughts, comments and observations on the 2008/2009 Sisters tour, including the Autumn/Winter 2008 U.S. and European 2009 legs.
Brad
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

From Dan on Dominion...

Crash & Burn
Ribbons
Train/Det Blvd
Flood 1
Marian
Alice
Giving ground
Corrosion
Anaconda
Susanne
Summer
Dominion
Still
Logic
Neverland
Flood 2
Something fast
Vision thing
Lucretia
Top night out
Temple
cocoamix
Amphetamine Filth

I just got back from this show. I figured there'd be some Dominionites or maybe Heartlanders , but I wasn't really keen on meeting anyone there.

I wore a 2008 March Violets shirt, in case anyone spotted me.

The show was very well received and the crowd quite enthusiastic. I was right up front, so maybe the perceptions were different farther back. This being my 9th time seeing the Sisters, I'd rank it lower on my scale of favorite gigs, but still better than both Chicago and SF 2006.

The smoke was still a bit overwhelming. I don't know why it's been so heavy the past few years. Ben and Chris (stage right and left, respectively) were almost always visible, but Andrew faded in an out of visibility frequently. There was no banter with the audience whatsoever, save a thank you and bow at the end. Some friends shared a smoke with Chris out back after the gig (non-smoking venue).

Andrew's vocals were just a little shallow, with Chris' usually being louder on chorus verses. There were some older folks there, but some young ones too. I know for a fact that several of the people in my group were breast feeding when Floodland came out. The new and, most likely unfamiliar songs were pretty well received, especially Top Nite Out, which got the crowd pretty amped. Other notable enthusiasm was seen for Dominion and the abridged Lucretia. I still wish they'd choose a different opener than Crash and Burn. FALAA, and Kiss the Carpet have always been my favorites to kick off with. VERY glad that Romeo Down and War and drugs are not being played, both being exercises in tedium, IMO. Good Things and Body Electric would have made my night, but I wasn't expecting either one.

I didn't hear any complaints about the show afterwards. As a matter of fact, several of the people I went with had been persuaded not to go by people that said the show would be horrible. As NONE of the 8 people in my group had ever seen them live, I convinced them to go and judge for themselves. Afterwards they all said the show was amazing and they were gad they went.

Afterwards, I called Bismarck, who persuaded me to write a review, even though I hardly ever post here anymore.

I'm wishing I was going to hit more than one date on this tour.
Prescott

Sounds like everyone had fun! Thanks for the review, any audio or video?
"... because we're that kind of people."
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

Sounds pretty good.
Thanks for the review, setlist and a welcome to the newbie! :D
"as we walk on the floodland"
DrG

Thanks for coming back and giving us a your review cocoamix!

It is nice to know that is tour not starting to go entirely bad. :wink:

Nice avatar BTW. :lol:
wah-hoo
let's do the war on drugs

Trip the light fantastic
bismarck

cocoamix wrote:Afterwards, I called Bismarck, who persuaded me to write a review, even though I hardly ever post here anymore.
Glad to hear I was a positive influence in your life for once :wink:

Good to hear your review. Cleveland was too far for you?
Doktor G wrote:Nice avatar BTW.
Always a comment about the avatar.
Ozpat wrote:Sounds pretty good.
Newbie! Cocoamix? Ha. Try lazy oldie...
The great questions of the day will not be
resolved by speeches and majority decisions,
but by iron and blood.
- Otto von Bismarck
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

bismarck wrote:
Ozpat wrote:Sounds pretty good.
:lol:

You're right! :)
azipp
Road Kill

I just want to chime in and say that Cincinnati was one of the best shows I've ever been to.

I've been a fan since around '95, but living in the Midwest made it hard to ever see them live. I flew out to Washington, DC to see them in '98, and the show was canceled, and really couldn't justify taking off work for two days the last time they played Chicago on a Tuesday night.

My expectations for this show were really high, only tempered by some of the negative reviews, and the muddy sound quality of the bootlegs (good for audience recordings, but still). There have been other bands that I didn't get to see live for a long time, and I inevitably found the actual experience to be disappointing.

So without past tours to compare it to...I just loved the smoke machines, that was how I had always pictured them, barely visible. And Bogart's usually has decent sound, and it sounded great. Listening to the unreleased songs helped, but they played a lot of old favorites. I hope they tour the states again, and I can plan to see them a few more times.
mitty13
Road Kill

This was my first time seeing the Sisters and I was absolutely blown away. I'm still sort of shocked I finally had the opportunity to see them and it was well worth the wait. I thought they sounded great and it was so awesome to hear Logic and Ribbons live and to finally see Andrew (well as much as I could in the fog).

I certainly hope they decide to come to this area again.
DrG

Cincinnati... a strange name for a city, but never been there so not sure
if it fits the bill... anyway...

bismarck wrote;
:lol:

And about the avatar... c'mon... watch it...
a hand takes the moon and bounces it off the head of :von:...
rather funny I would say. :wink:

And welcome to azipp and mitty13!
I am glad to hear you enjoyed the show! :notworthy:
wah-hoo
let's do the war on drugs

Trip the light fantastic
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

DrG wrote: And welcome to azipp and mitty13!
I am glad to hear you enjoyed the show! :notworthy:
I can only second that! :notworthy: