Chris Sheehan/Starling - Stage 4 skin cancer - fundraiser

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Chris has Stage 4 metastatic nodular melanoma (skin cancer) and wants to make one last album :o :urff: :(

He states that he doesn't want to "divert money from [his] family for selfish artistic urges", so has put together a fundraiser for it:

https://fundrazr.com/campaigns/eYGa7
Chris wrote:I can't justify any of my limited income to be spent on my own non-profit activities. Stage 4 metastatic nodular melanoma. Clinical trials and palliative treatment only. Wife terminally ill. Dozens of rescue animals. I don't own a computer anymore and would like a good laptop and software to see what comes out. I will not divert money from my family for selfish artistic urges. Maybe someone who enjoyed a starlings record at sometime is flush. The closest I've been is flushed. Anyway if no one helps I'm off the hook so nothing to lose. Ta Chris.
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Arrrgh!
Amphetamine Filth

I threw in a couple of quid.

The decent thing to do here would be for Von to post that link on the Sisters site. I don't know if they parted on good terms or not, but regardless, cancer is cancer and trumps most disagreements.
Do I drive or am I driven?
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

i agree with the above. very sad news indeed. and "wife terminally ill" as well? all our love and best wishes to the Sheehans. :(
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Being645
Above the Chemist

This is horror reaching the borders to ... yeah, creating some new stuff ... :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: ... tough, Chris!

So good progress at that and loads of good energies for all beyond as well ...
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

"stage 4 metastatic" is not good. As a diagnosis it's functionally equivalent to "you're fucked."

A couple of quid thrown in.

And a link tweeted FWIW, half my followers are from this place.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
iesus
Overbomber

Hope the goal will be reached, despite the tough conditions i think it will be done. I liked Chris posted in Fb and went to this by his post to take part. I would like to see artists to join his project to help make it.
'Are we the Baddies?'...
"Someday! Someday, everything you need, is just gonna fall out of the sky..." -A.E. Reading 1991
"Don't forget that most of the judges in witches trials had harvard degrees."
ribbons69
Slight Overbomber

Saw this earlier when Jullianne posted it via the AAE facebook. Just donated the five euros,cancer,what a bastard.
Is Chris the one on the Trip The Light shirt,or is that Adam?
"I've seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I've given him the benefit of the doubt"
Tom G Warrior of Celtic Frost

we fall to rise
Being645
Above the Chemist

ribbons69 wrote:Saw this earlier when Jullianne posted it via the AAE facebook. Just donated the five euros,cancer,what a bastard.
Is Chris the one on the Trip The Light shirt,or is that Adam?
Checking The Sisters' very own Concert Photos it looks quite like Adam ...
godgirl
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

His wife's also set up a separate fundrazr for their animals.

https://fundrazr.com/campaigns/5X4d3
"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised God doesn't work that way, so I stole one and prayed for forgiveness"
Purple Light
Slight Overbomber

Shared this on Facebook and will contribute when my Paypal stops bloody crashing.

Gutted for the guy. Absolutely gutted. Loved his look/playing during Smoke and Mirrors.

Also agree with the Von putting a link suggestion.
“I got lost in the mirror, wondering what could have been, I couldn’t help but kill her, but I couldn’t kill the dream.”
NickW
Amphetamine Filth

both donated and circulated
Just one of the pesky kids
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

that's a really bad and sad news. i like Chris music a lot. and i will contribute as well. :|
Purple Light
Slight Overbomber

Does anyone know how long this is open for donations for? I can't seem to find anything on the site.
“I got lost in the mirror, wondering what could have been, I couldn’t help but kill her, but I couldn’t kill the dream.”
Being645
Above the Chemist

Purple Light wrote:Does anyone know how long this is open for donations for? I can't seem to find anything on the site.
It should take some more days. The goal to complete is 5K.
There is an orange button saying "Give" - if you click on that
you will be linked forward ...
paul
Overbomber

Wow, sad news...
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

Read it on FB. Sad...
"as we walk on the floodland"
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

I don't know Leeds/Yorksihre music community, but i think that AE not only knows about that, but also gave Chris a hint and Chris posted that sad info, and that's how we get to know about that. And i think that's/was a better way to spread a word about that action.
but again, it's just my wild assumption.

it's still very devastating news. :(
when i had chance to listen to his music via YT i liked it so much that i wanted to buy his albums, but it weren't available; all i found was bootleg from gig in Camden.
Last edited by Bartek on 11 Jul 2013, 09:18, edited 1 time in total.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I think you're right Bart, anything coming from Chris Catalyst (and it was his Twitter that alerted me to this in the first place) re the Sisters is probably as close as you're going to get to word from God ;)
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

for those who want to get to know Chris S. music:

http://www.popchild.com/popchildrecords ... arling.htm
(album cannot be buy, but mp3 "Wendy May" is free to download).

and here's a Rawhide Baby from "Planet Painkiller" album.

I remember that single song "the Word" was uploaded on YT, but it's there anymore.

and as i found out, "Planet Painkiller" and Rawhide baby" (single) and "The Word" (single) are available (most second hand, which is not a point of buying an albums, esp. those published by small lables and/or DIY).
splintered thing
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Oh how sad... all the best to you Chris.
as the day is long,
rain from heaven
czuczu
Overbomber

s**t :(
I still remember watching the Starlings at the Marquee, around the time they signed for Anxious.
Silver_Owl
The Don

markfiend wrote:I think you're right Bart, anything coming from Chris Catalyst (and it was his Twitter that alerted me to this in the first place) re the Sisters is probably as close as you're going to get to word from God ;)
I suggested to Chris C on FB that maybe they could update the front page of the official site with something. :?
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
godgirl
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Please don't forget his major endeavour over the past 10 years too, since he left the Sisters, which was to give a loving home and sanctuary to a lot of unwanted animals....

I know your reward for the music would be to hear the music, but the impact on the lives of those animals would also be immense though you may yourselves not be able to personally hear anything from them in the way of a permanent thank you! :D
"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised God doesn't work that way, so I stole one and prayed for forgiveness"
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

you are right godgirl. as soon as money will appear on my paypal account both Chris and his wife will get few €s.

one think cannot stop worrying me- their kids. what gonna happen with them if/when their parent will past, 'cause both of them are terminal ill ?
Gary
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Bartek wrote:for those who want to get to know Chris S. music:

http://www.popchild.com/popchildrecords ... arling.htm
(album cannot be buy, but mp3 "Wendy May" is free to download).

and here's a Rawhide Baby from "Planet Painkiller" album.

I remember that single song "the Word" was uploaded on YT, but it's there anymore.

and as i found out, "Planet Painkiller" and Rawhide baby" (single) and "The Word" (single) are available (most second hand, which is not a point of buying an albums, esp. those published by small lables and/or DIY).
Both are great albums, I have the CDs very laid back and tender.. Hopefully Chris or the record company will make them available again?