the singer's turn

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
jost 7
Slight Overbomber

ladies & gentlemen,
i would like to introduce you to the idea for a little project about a band we all love, a project about a bunch of well known songs which might never see daylight, and a project about the possibility of playing around with this situation...

step by step:
i recently installed cubase sx on my pc - and beside my own tracks i decided to record a version of summer as i always thought this track deserves a proper production. its now in rather rough and instrumental mix featuring a lot of acoustic guitars, real basses and drums. it still requires a lot of further work but eventually it might be a fine track as it already has its moments.

now its your turn. i was thinking about recording all the unreleased tracks that might be included in the album. basically i am talking about instrumental versions of all these tracks we know by heart. as it is supposed to be a project for ourselves every track could be done by a different member of this board. every unreleased track should be done at least once. the whole thing should not have anything to do with a cleopatra kind of tribute album. its more of an ironic thank you to the man himself expressing "if you don't want to do it - no problem - we can do it". a kind of working title could be "the singer's turn".

now i am looking forward to seeing what you all think about it. suggestions welcome.
j.
love is just a shot away
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

Hehehehehehehehehehe.
I'm in :von:

I wanna do 'war on drugs'.

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

I'll take "Romeo Down"
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

lazarus corporation wrote:I'll take "Romeo Down"
b*stard! i wanted that :von:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Loki
God of Mischief and Discord

Quiff Boy wrote:
4 minutes too late.

What? You haven't heard that? :innocent:

Seriously, great idea for all you gifted people. :notworthy:
Loki was never worshiped as the other Gods,
Which is quite understandable.
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

Quiff Boy wrote:
:innocent:

:lol:
Nazareth
Amphetamine Filth

if you ever want the vocals done....you know where i am...!
jenzi-benzi
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

where do you want to get the midis/ or something like that from.
of the old one i got some midis & also mixed & produced some techno versions of ValEntinE, BURN & Walk away.... if anyone is interessted in, but i'll take CRASH AND BURN
#
ryan
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

well ill give 'we are the same..." a go
jost 7
Slight Overbomber

very good.
at the moment the following tracks seem to having found their godfathers:

crash & burn 1 x (jenzi -benzi)
romeo down 2 x(lazarus corporation, quiff boy)
summer 1x (jost 7)
we are the same suzanne 2 (ryan_W_0000)
war on drugs 1x (izzy havemercy)

thx for your social behaviour so far! ;-)
we are looking for people who would like to take care of

come together
will i dream
slept
snub nose
love is just a shot away
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

I'm going to try to do mine on my Digital 8-track (a cute little Korg D8 ), but I may end up switching to Logic for the sheer abundance of extra tracks and features, even if it sometimes leaves me bewildered and frustrated.

Never tried Cubase - what's it like?
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

lazarus corporation wrote:I'm going to try to do mine on my Digital 8-track (a cute little Korg D8 ), but I may end up switching to Logic for the sheer abundance of extra tracks and features, even if it sometimes leaves me bewildered and frustrated.

Never tried Cubase - what's it like?
i use cubase vst v5 and its pretty top :D

never tried sx. took me ages to install all those dodgy vst instrumenst and fx plugins... not goign to risk an upgrade or an import :lol:
jost 7
Slight Overbomber

cubase sx is a top programm, easy to handle, very powerful and compensating latencies - to some reason i never managed to get cubase vst 5 running properly - which might have been caused by asio drivers and compatibility problems with windows xp i guess. according to the documentation sx has been redesigned in many parts to previous versions

concerning logic: many people (including adam) started with cubase (especially earlier versions) and changed to logic afterwards - i did never try it and thatfor can't compare - although both are designed for the similar group of users.

and i definitely understand that a working system should not get changed...
love is just a shot away
pikkrong
Overbomber

I'd like to take the vocal part of "Snub Nose / Top Nite Out" :lol:
Loki
God of Mischief and Discord

pikkrong wrote:Since I really wanted to join but I'm the last person in the world who could be a singer, I'll take the vocal part of "Snub Nose / Top Nite Out" :lol:
Better start practising then because 'Ladies and gentlemen, Mr Chris Starling and the legendary Mr WHAMMMMMMMMMMMMMY!' is key to the song. :wink:
Loki was never worshiped as the other Gods,
Which is quite understandable.
pikkrong
Overbomber

Johnny Boy wrote:
pikkrong wrote:Since I really wanted to join but I'm the last person in the world who could be a singer, I'll take the vocal part of "Snub Nose / Top Nite Out" :lol:
Better start practising then because 'Ladies and gentlemen, Mr Chris Starling and the legendary Mr WHAMMMMMMMMMMMMMY!' is key to the song. :wink:
Francis
Overbomber

Johnny Boy wrote:
pikkrong wrote:Since I really wanted to join but I'm the last person in the world who could be a singer,
Woah! He said that without moving his lips!
And you know that she's half crazy but that's why you want to be there.
jost 7
Slight Overbomber

well, as we were talking about instrumental versions of the tracks featuring vocal parts, a consequence would be to record the official instrumentals with vocals - so, who wanted to be the singer for snub nose? what about the lyrics?

however, currently still available are the following gems:

* come together
* will i dream
* slept
* snub nose (w/o vocals)
* top nite out (with vocals) ;-)
love is just a shot away
Purple Light
Slight Overbomber

I'll take Slept as I love playing it.
I'll nip in & take Top Nite Out (as someone else is down for the lyrics) as well if I can, Mr Light can play a damn good stonking version if he does say so himself!

(Can't believe Crash & Burn went, U git Jenzi)

Damn good topic BTW. :notworthy:
“I got lost in the mirror, wondering what could have been, I couldn’t help but kill her, but I couldn’t kill the dream.”
Purple Light
Slight Overbomber

Sh*t, I'll swap Slept & take Will I Dream actually. Been playing that longer!
“I got lost in the mirror, wondering what could have been, I couldn’t help but kill her, but I couldn’t kill the dream.”
jost 7
Slight Overbomber

well, i guess i don't have to say that, but the project is not planned as a strict 'first come - first serve' one. 3 versions of romeo down are better than none - and even more interesting than just 1. also all of us should feel free to record more than just one track as introduced by mr. light.

still on the floor:

* come together
* slept
* top nite out (with vocals)

happy sunday - i will follow the poppy bloom in the countryside
love is just a shot away
pikkrong
Overbomber

jost 7 wrote: so, who wanted to be the singer for snub nose? what about the lyrics?

I believe I can manage in Beavis & Butt-Head way :lol:
(I'm a poet, you know ;D )
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

Has anyone ever used MusE (http://lmuse.sourceforge.net/)?

Just spotted an article on /. about the latest release.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

hmmm, there isnt actually that much to romeo down once you remove the vocals is it?

can i just confirm the remit here: are we making instrumental backing tracks with the intention of remaining pretty faithful to the originals in terms of arrangement etc?

or just making our own interpretations of the tunes?

i quote fancy having a go at a backing track suitable for the man himself 8) :lol:

i've sorted the drum pattern (barr the snare roll and a couple of missing fills i might add just to avoid repetition) and the bassline (got about 3 different synth sounds playing in sync for that bad boy! oh yes!) and couple of other wibbly synth noodles of my own composition, and all that is really missing now is the guitar(s).

i'll need lars for that ;) :notworthy:

i must say that the "backing track" thus far is sounding pretty chilled... might have to revisit some of the fx/synths and try and make them a little more brooding.

its a fine line between brooding and cheesy "scary goth" and i dont want to sound like a pastiche or some dodgy cleopatra cover version :roll:
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

and here it is, thus far:

http://www.myheartland.co.uk/temp/romeodown.mp3

about 3 and a half meg.

as i say, its only half there and the actual structure (ie: verse, chorus, verse, chorus, etc etc etc) isn't correct. it was more just to satisfy my curiosity and see if it could be done.

the curious churchorgan type sound is to mark the places where the vocals should go. tried about 100 different "sounds" to fill that gap and that was the least invasive :roll:

i quite like it so far ;D :innocent: