Wembley 90

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Gottdammerung
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

So just how many people turned up for these gigs?

thousands, tens of thousands?
You can turn your back on a person, but never turn your back on a drug, especially when its waving a razor sharp hunting knife in your eye

Hunter S. Thompson
Scardwel
Slight Overbomber

IIRC the first night was a sell-out (10,000 people) and the second was nearly sold out with a few seated tickets available on the night.

I went to the first night (my first Sisters gig :notworthy:) and regret, in retrospect, not going to the second.
The Scene won't save you...
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

its like the pistols at the manchester free trade hall :lol:

if everyone who says they were there was actually there, the gig would have to have been moved to croke park (dublin, capacity 85,000ish) :lol:

i didnt bother going. which surely makes me one of the elite few? ;)
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
streamline
Slight Overbomber

Scardwel wrote: I went to the first night (my first Sisters gig :notworthy:)
Snap! I also managed to buy tickets for the second night at the ticket office the next day and thus an obsession was born... :oops:

I trust you trust in me to mistrust you
Our Taylor is Rich
Road Kill

Scardwel wrote:IIRC the first night was a sell-out (10,000 people) and the second was nearly sold out with a few seated tickets available on the night.

I went to the first night (my first Sisters gig :notworthy:) and regret, in retrospect, not going to the second.
I went to both, but I'm sure the second was far from sold out : I had a ticket for the far left side of the Arena (left when look at the scene) and when we arrived we have been moved to the front left (that was good : then, we could have a look to the band waiting for entering on scene :P ). The far side was closed because there has not been enough tickets sold... So, this means 7-8000 people ?
No big differences concerning the show, only one different song during the encore, if my memory is good (Body electric or Body and soul instead of ???)
TheBoyNextDoor

Body Electric and 1969 were played the second night... but the first night had This Corrosion, Temple of Love and Jolene.
Badlander
Overbomber

Scardwel wrote:IIRC the first night was a sell-out (10,000 people) and the second was nearly sold out with a few seated tickets available on the night.
I thought the Arena was much bigger than that. :?:
And I do mean the Arena, not the Stadium (72,000 IIRC).
I'd end this moment to be with you
Through morphic oceans I'd lay here with you
TheBoyNextDoor

This site says 12.750.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Scardwel wrote:I went to the first night (my first Sisters gig :notworthy:) and regret, in retrospect, not going to the second.
Me too.

As far as I can remember, it seemed fairly full. :D
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Our Taylor is Rich
Road Kill

I send this topic last week end
http://www.myheartland.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=10929

it confirms that the saturday night fever was sold out long before the show, and places remained for monday 26th (I bought my place for the second gig on saturday afternoon)

thanxs for the precision concerning different sets :notworthy:
Last edited by Our Taylor is Rich on 09 May 2006, 15:08, edited 1 time in total.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Oh yeah, I hadn't noticed the "Sold Out" sticker across the Saturday. ;D
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Scardwel
Slight Overbomber

The capacity at Wembley Arena varies according to how they've arranged the seats on the night. For the Sisters gigs there were alot of seats on the floor (and around the sides) with a standing area in front of the stage (for maybe 1000 people?). When I saw The Cult there about a year later the standing area was alot bigger.
The Scene won't save you...
Ed Rhombus
Slight Overbomber

I concure. I was in the standing area on the first night and it felt about the size of a Bristol venue that was 1000 capicity.

The sad thing was that when the band came on (Not 'The Muvers' remember them, shinny blue drum kit) everyone crammed to the front leaving the back half empty. Which was a bit of a kick in the nuts for the people seated behind.

I remember looking up at the back of the hall and seeing goths about the size of the small letters on the Coca-Cola score board.

Security got a bit panicy as the whole pit kept careering to the right then the left with alarming force.
Ed Rhombus

There for you (weather permiting)

www.rhombus-rock.com
https://www.facebook.com/rhombus.uk
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

had a great night off in the pub with all the happy monday's fans. :lol: :lol:

huge mosh pit, very cool, people stood on people (as in pyramids) and all :innocent:
Goths have feelings too
hellboy69

I was at both of these shows ~ standing for both, enjoyed them immensely...

Beyond that. my ailing memory fades, although i do recall many voices shouting "Oh NO!" when they played "Vision Thing"... doesn't get that reaction too often nowadays though! :D

Also spied the female fan who always wore a white wedding dress to TSOM and sometimes carried a little coffin with her(?) hehehe, she turned up at Reading too, much to the amusement of us grubby campers who'd been sun & mudbathing for 3 days.. but i digress.

The wembley shows were ace. It was a buzz to see them in such a big venue with masses of fans going mental.
bookish
Road Kill

They had these spinal tap-esque decorations that were suspended above them. They dropped down from the ceiling during one of the songs and looked awful.

I do remember some fellow whilst we were all shouting for them all to come back on saying 'don't shout "More", they'll play it!' which seemed harsh to me.

To my astonishment I can't remember which evening I was there for now.
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

Did them both, standing at the first but was seated for the second-my first and best Sisters gigs.
Proper full band, fantastic sets with more peeps than you could shake a stick at!
I'm sure they played Jolene only on the second night, I could be wrong as I was fcuking w@nkered
:notworthy: :notworthy:
‎"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

Quiff Boy wrote:its like the pistols at the manchester free trade hall :lol:

if everyone who says they were there was actually there, the gig would have to have been moved to croke park (dublin, capacity 85,000ish) :lol:

i didnt bother going. which surely makes me one of the elite few? ;)
I was there, honest Guv, and you are elite - never believe otherwise
:lol:
‎"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."
Our Taylor is Rich
Road Kill

Quiff Boy wrote: if everyone who says they were there was actually there, the gig would have to have been moved to croke park (dublin, capacity 85,000ish) :lol:
if I remember well, there were a video duplex with Wembley Stadium, this can explain why we were 95,000 to see Sisters Meet Sputnickish 8)
13th earl
Road Kill

Was there on the second night. Got in late, due to a mix up not meeting a friend at Reading. I think they were into Heartland when we arrived, having come down in the slowest car in the world from Stoke on Trent via the Reading dump.
Felt strangely lost in the empty segment between the crowd massed at the front and the seated area, but soon got completely lost into This Corrosion, which had a fantastic opening considering the absence of the New York Choral Society.

However, overall I think the NEC gig in 92 was overall a superior night - much better sound, great lightshow, better view and more people into the Vision Thing era material by then.

My favourite concerts in the nineties though must have been the Brixton Shows, especially December 93. I'd had a fantastic weekend - saw GROWTH in the Samual Pepyes in Hackney on the Friday night, slept on a couch in the Lead Singer's girlfriends house after a lock in, got a lift with the band back to Highbury tube, slept on a mates floor Saturday night, saw the UK Subs at the Venue New Cross Sunday night, drove out to Wantage on monday, picked my goth Thai mate Cathy up and drove back to Brixton.
Walked through the downstairs doors just as the first beats of comfortably Numb were echoing out. Fabulous gig, best I've seen by the band.

What was everyone else's fave performance?
There are worse things than murder at the back of the mind.
Our Taylor is Rich
Road Kill

13th earl wrote:What was everyone else's fave performance?
To be honest, none of them. I was so disapointed in 1990 by the "metalic" show that I decided to never returned. I didn't in France last month.
Well, I think I've watched too much times WAKE video before going to Wembley Arena, so I was not in phase with reality these nights... :cry:
mugabe

Here's a snippet from Melody Maker's review of the Saturday gig.
Steve Sutherland wrote:No, it was Eldritch's faithful drum machine, Doktor Avalanche, which threatened to drag what should have been a celebratory occasion to its knees. Eldritch's antipathy towards the drumming fraternity is well documented and, for the purposes of Gothic performance, when the imposition of an overpowering atmosphere is of paramount importance, the good Doktor did the job and then some, anchoring the old Sisters into their dreaded and devastating dirge. But if the Sisters are to rock it up, they will have to respond to and with the audience which requires a flexibility well beyond the Doktor. Time and again the guitars propelled a song towards natural lift-off only for the rhythm to strain it back to earth.
Nothing ventured, nothing lost
hellboy69

13th earl wrote:However, overall I think the NEC gig in 92 was overall a superior night - much better sound, great lightshow, better view and more people into the Vision Thing era material by then.
I went to that one too (on my way from London TO Stoke-On-Trent this time :) ) & i agree, it was an even better show ~ i remember Murder Inc was a great choice of support act, although their equipment broke down, so much delay before they took to the stage. Martin Atkins booting his drumkit across the stage at the end of the set was always a delight to see & kind of apt, seeing as the Doktor was due on after him ;)

LOL ~ i don't remember "stonehenge" props at Wembley ~ but then again i was absolutely bladdered for both shows.

QuiffBoy, i was there! Honest Guv! :lol:
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

Goths have feelings too
Gottdammerung

hellboy69 wrote:I

Also spied the female fan who always wore a white wedding dress to TSOM and sometimes carried a little coffin with her(?) hehehe, she turned up at Reading too, much to the amusement of us grubby campers who'd been sun & mudbathing for 3 days.. but i digress.

lol... yeah, I swear I saw her at the NEC gig in 93... :eek:
You can turn your back on a person, but never turn your back on a drug, especially when its waving a razor sharp hunting knife in your eye

Hunter S. Thompson