the South has fallen again (Richmond 2008)

Gig reviews, set lists, thoughts, comments and observations on the 2008/2009 Sisters tour, including the Autumn/Winter 2008 U.S. and European 2009 legs.
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

dinky daisy wrote:
Ozpat wrote::lol: :lol:

The band played too loud?

What a great venue that is. ;D
The drummer played too loud as well. The boxes with the new album struck the door. The singer's hair was too long and became a serious struggle for the security guards. Last but not least, a goathead was set up on a stick and the bible was read backwards by the female bass player.

(please, will this be copied and paste by a journalist someday, someday?)
Don't forget, human heads were on pikes in front of the venue, as well... :von:
I left my heart in Ballycastle... :cry: :cry: :cry:
Multifaceted
Road Kill

dontbemad wrote:When all is said and done we loved having them, the crew and band were very cool , and we had a great time before all the fire marshal problems. It's very unfortunate it ended the way it did. I'm sorry to all the fans that didn't get to see the full show they paid for. I hope to have them back sometime with a level of smoke that wont set off the alarms, but from the way you guys are talking they only come to the US once in a blue moon. :(

Once again sorry guys , we never wanted it to end this way.
I get the impression "a level of smoke that won't set off the alarms" would be "no smoke at all". And The Sisters without smoke? I don't think I'm ever going to see that. :innocent:

(For what it's worth, though, I did ask some of the band if there was any possibility they'd come back *somewhere* near to make up for that night, though. I'm pretty sure Chris [one of guitarists] said if they ever came anywhere back there again, it probably wouldn't be The National.)

And I'm already sad over the fact that it will be probably another 2.5-3 years until I see them again, too. :(
Eva
Intercontinental Assassin

dinky daisy wrote:
Ozpat wrote::lol: :lol:

The band played too loud?

What a great venue that is. ;D
The drummer played too loud as well. The boxes with the new album struck the door. The singer's hair was too long and became a serious struggle for the security guards. Last but not least, a goathead was set up on a stick and the bible was read backwards by the female bass player.

(please, will this be copied and paste by a journalist someday, someday?)
:lol: :lol: :lol:

You forgot to mention how Von claimed they're the only true goth band still alive... ;D
You can't fix stupid.
Rat_Bastard
Road Kill

Multifaceted wrote: (For what it's worth, though, I did ask some of the band if there was any possibility they'd come back *somewhere* near to make up for that night, though. I'm pretty sure Chris [one of guitarists] said if they ever came anywhere back there again, it probably wouldn't be The National.)
Well, Richmond also has "Toad's Place", which opened up around the same time as The National did, and is the sister venue to the New Haven venue of the same name. It's roughly equivalent to DC's 9:30 Club in size, so it could be a feasible alternative.
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

Rat_Bastard wrote:Well, Richmond also has "Toad's Place", which opened up around the same time as The National did, and is the sister venue to the New Haven venue of the same name.
:eek:
Blasphemy. :von:
I left my heart in Ballycastle... :cry: :cry: :cry:
dontbemad
Road Kill

Prescott wrote:Well they had the fog machines on for maybe the first three songs. Then they were completely shut off. You could clearly see everything!
Sorry but they were on the whole time aside from a few choice moments when they were actually worried about being shutdown. Seriously , im not trying to be rude but you have no idea when they were on and off. They were f-100 fog machines (hidden offstage) and were set to be on 50% all night which would have not set off the alarms. About every 3 minutes the lighting director (who was in control of them via front of house) would do a 100% full blast that lasted about 15 seconds.
Prescott wrote: She made the argument that none of us had moved when the alarms went off because none of us had heard them because the music was "so loud". Well how is it Andrew's fault if their alarms aren't loud enough? She said "what if it were a real fire?" Yeah, what if it was a real fire, we would be dead, and it wouldn't have had anything to do with Sisters or fog machines. People not hearing those alarms is a problem that could happen with any loud band that plays there and would certainly NOT be any bands fault, if there ever was a real fire. Just like the marshal said.

There. That's the whole story.
Sorry a fire marshal thinks the show was too loud , but everyone heard the alarm and chose not to budge. It is a flat out lie to say no one heard our alarms , when i had patrons coming up to me while i was standing in the the foyer complaining about how the alarms were ruining the show. Fire alarms are 120 db and the show was 106db. No one band is "louder" than another , we have a strict SPL level set for front of house. So since people could hear it at sisters , they can hear it at any other show just the same.
Prescott wrote: But it was still a bad excuse to stop the show. And definitely NOT Andrew's fault.
I don't know how you think a blatant fire code violation is a bad excuse to stop a show after the malefactor has refused to remedy the situation.
I'm assuming andrew is the lead singer , and if so , yes it is indeed his fault the show did not finish. He chose to end it because "fog is 50% of our show" (words straight from his mouth). When all is said and done we have a no fog machine clause in our contract and they not only used one , but two , and some of the strongest ones you can buy.
aims
Overbomber

dontbemad wrote:I don't know how you think a blatant fire code violation is a bad excuse to stop a show after the malefactor has refused to remedy the situation.
I'm assuming andrew is the lead singer , and if so , yes it is indeed his fault the show did not finish. He chose to end it because "fog is 50% of our show" (words straight from his mouth). When all is said and done we have a no fog machine clause in our contract and they not only used one , but two , and some of the strongest ones you can buy.
Sounds like people are arguing at cross purposes. It absolutely is not the venue's fault for fulfilling their legal obligations and the fact that you care enough to come here and explain is much appreciated. Andrew, however, isn't being contrary. A Sisters gig without the smoke would be like watching an IMAX movie with full surround sound...and turning the house lights on.
eotunun
Overbomber

Dear DONTBEMAD, we are sorry to hear your house can't handle propper Rock'n'Roll conxerts. :P
There is shadow under this red rock
euphoria
Slight Overbomber

dontbemad wrote: we have a no fog machine clause in our contract
:lol:

Who the f**k signed this contract on behalf of the band? He really must have been drunk and/or over-optimistic.
Eva
Intercontinental Assassin

dontbemad wrote: ...It is a flat out lie to say no one heard our alarms....
I didn't hear/notice them at all, and neither did my bf... :roll:

However, what I really appreciated was the venue's position regarding tapers. They explicitlyallow recordings, if the artist doesn't mind. :!: Of course most of the time the artist won't allow it, but it was still a nice and unexpected read on the doors. :wink: Besides, we found Richmond a welcoming and pleasant city. :notworthy:
You can't fix stupid.
bismarck
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

anyone who thinks there's too much smoke these days should check out 1984:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=g9sLZK6XH ... re=related

ha ha!
The great questions of the day will not be
resolved by speeches and majority decisions,
but by iron and blood.
- Otto von Bismarck
sziamiau
Slight Overbomber

bismarck wrote:anyone who thinks there's too much smoke these days should check out 1984:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=g9sLZK6XH ... re=related

ha ha!
thank you. nothing new as we know already. yesterday someone told me they actualy walked out of one of the girls' gigs because of the fog. wtf sh8t is that? that was again a gig years ago not even the silver bullet tour. people still act like it's a surprise. anyhow
Multifaceted
Road Kill

Eva wrote:
dontbemad wrote: ...It is a flat out lie to say no one heard our alarms....
I didn't hear/notice them at all, and neither did my bf... :roll:
I didn't hear them, either. :?
Dung Beetle
Road Kill

dontbemad wrote:...they were f-100 fog machines (hidden offstage) and were set to be on 50% all night which would have not set off the alarms. About every 3 minutes the lighting director (who was in control of them via front of house) would do a 100% full blast that lasted about 15 seconds.

...they not only used one , but two , and some of the strongest ones you can buy.
Mentally noted for potential future purchases. Fog tips from the Fog Masters!