David Allen talk in London

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
RobF
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

For London Sisters/Cure folk, this looks like it should be really interesting:

http://www.woodmill.org/

Sunday 29th August / 3pm Onwards

SOUND SEMINAR

David M Allen will be joining together his musical history- through boyhood fascination with analog sound making, his genre defining work as producer of The Cure, Human League, Sisters of Mercy, and interests, discoveries and projects in the present. David will also be joined by his own invited guests.

Followed by a selection of music videos / films in the outdoor cinema / food & drink available
"...by the time I get to Arizona..."
Pista
Cureboi

Thanks for the heads up.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Badlander
Overbomber

Sounds good !
I'd end this moment to be with you
Through morphic oceans I'd lay here with you
Fodderstompf
Amphetamine Filth

Obviously the Sisters were not impressed with Allen, so it would be interesting to hear his take on FALAA. Eldritch talked about "iffy production", Marx about "production weaknesses".
Debaser
Overbomber

RobF wrote:
David M Allen will be joining together his musical history- through boyhood fascination with analog sound making, his genre defining work as producer of The Cure, Human League, Sisters of Mercy,The Chameleons and interests, discoveries and projects in the present. David will also be joined by his own invited guests.

Followed by a selection of music videos / films in the outdoor cinema / food & drink available
:wink:
Five cups of coffee just to be myself...when I'd rather be somebody else
RobF

...aye, don't know why they wouldn't get a mention :|

Arts centres. Bah.

I've never really understood the FLA production problems. He seems to have managed fine with every bugger else.
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

RobF wrote:I've never really understood the FLA production problems. He seems to have managed fine with every bugger else.
At least there was a PRODUCTION then, because there was a PRODUCT :|

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
robertzombie
Overbomber

Might go to this :D
mh
Above the Chemist

Aye, I've long suspected that the main reason why Von doesn't like it is because he didn't do it. There's nothing much actually wrong with it (at least in it's original mixes incarnation).
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

well to me it got lack of dynamic and power and it sounds a bit shallow (music).
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

it lacks bongos ;D
‎"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."
mh
Above the Chemist

weebleswobble wrote:it lacks bongos ;D
Very important that. :notworthy:
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Nork1
Road Kill

Ha ha! SKOS or Black Planet with bongos! I'd pay good money to hear that. Maybe a ukelele on Amphetamine Logic, sung in a George Formby stylee.
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

And cowbell.

Needs more cowbell.

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
mh
Above the Chemist

and a bitchin' vuvuzela solo.
RobF

Oddly, what Eldo and Mr. Marx seem to consider the production mistakes: The hollow sound, that clinical coldness, and the thwappyness tend to be exactly the elements dodgy crimpers'n'lacy-cuffs beggars spent years trying to ape.

It's so ingrained in my head as an album; I can't really imagine what it would sound like with a different production direction.

Tracks like SKOS, NWN and Possession would sound amazing with a similar sound to the Floods or Driven LTS, but they would need a completely different vocal delivery. That whispery, croaky thing that disappears into the mix live rather too often, sits beautifully in the mix on the quiet Floodland tracks. I suppose the FLA tracks were still written with gigs in mind, whereas the Floodland tracks were never designed to be heard live.

Yes, and bongos obviously. Even Whitehouse employ the odd bongo.
James Blast
Banned

Amen! Rob :notworthy:
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Debaser
Overbomber

Izzy HaveMercy wrote:And cowbell.

Needs more cowbell.

IZ.
I gotta have more cowbell

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZOHY7Z5 ... re=related

Now I've found something that says Sisters of Mercy Vs NAPT (with cowbell) but damned if I can get it to load. And it wasn't easy finding the original SNL cowbell sketch either :roll:
Five cups of coffee just to be myself...when I'd rather be somebody else
abridged
Slight Overbomber

The band ain't always correct. The Troy Tate sessions for the first Smiths album that the band rejected are actually better than the released version. I like F&L&A. :)
The Chancer Corporation
TallicA_dude
Road Kill

Izzy HaveMercy wrote:
RobF wrote:I've never really understood the FLA production problems. He seems to have managed fine with every bugger else.
At least there was a PRODUCTION then, because there was a PRODUCT :|

IZ.
so true. :cry:
AdrenaChris
Amphetamine Filth

I think parts of F&L&A sound a little underproduced perhaps, but it has a certain rawness that I like. I'd be interested to go to this as he produced some of my favourite albums...
road_kill
Road Kill

Many years ago in possibly my only ever worthwhile post , I did fire up a version of Black Planet which featured cowbell cranked up beyond 11. :innocent:

Surprised to see that it still exists. Enjoy: http://www.morecowbell.dj/listen?id=Kj1rO
NhDNlkYcIc
robertzombie
Overbomber

Will report back later :)
RobF

Goodo. I have a mate moving back to Mumbai tomorrow, so I'll be missing it, ask pointed questions....
robertzombie
Overbomber

So we found ourselves in one of those 'art' centres...

To be honest I was expecting a lecture but the laid back installation exhibition room kinda worked.

I got the impression that David was all prepared to give us a musical history of all the bands he'd worked with and how he got into the music business, but about five minutes in he realised that only two people in the audience were getting the references. So instead he decided to show us some instruments he'd made, and told us a funny story about the Human League in a gay bar.

After the break he played us one of the many Cure tracks that he'd worked on and then opened it up to questions.

Seeing as no-one put their hand up I took this as an opportunity to hijack the entire thing into Sisters territory, asking if he wouldn't mind telling us a little bit about his time with the band. What ensued was a fantastic story :D

Here's some stuff that I remember...

He first saw them at the Brixton Ace (in what must have been 1983). Then someone from WEA invited him to see them at the Milky Way in Amsterdam, to see if he wanted to work with them. He later received a telegram from Eldritch saying "The Sisters say 'yes' to David Allen" :lol:

They spent five weeks recording the album in Stockport during which time Eldritch never left the studio and spent the entire stretch topping himself up with speed. After the first three days the original sound engineer had a diabetes related breakdown, and decided to unplug everything in the studio!
At some point Eldritch decided to tip-ex out all the working titles that were on the tapes so they had to listen to everything and relabel it all :lol:
After spending two days recording the vocals for Some Kind Of Stranger, Eldritch requested that Allen remove the first verse as it made it obvious that he'd cheated on his girlfriend.

Allen only saw Eldritch's eyes once.

Allen couldn't remember what Down to E like a motherfucker became, but he seemed to imply that it's a song we're familiar with.

After the recording was done Allen went for a meeting in Eldritch's "Goth Office" :lol:

All in all a great day with a chap who has a lot of cool stories to tell. I personally think a book is in order :D

I feel like a right gossip :P