First And Last And Always Original Mixes

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
robertzombie
Overbomber

Just to play devil's advocate: Is it right to call the Japanese mixes inferior? Certainly different, but are they actually lower in rank? The WEA Mixes bootleg reveals that the Japanese mixes were produced alongside the "normal" mixes that ended up at R/S Alsdorf, and for many listeners the Japanese mixes are the standard. Who's to say these mixes weren't preferred by the band? One could postulate that Eldritch preferred them as they form the base of his 1992 remaster. I'm not sure I buy the story of the missing stereo masters, the record was put out in so many territories that a safety tape could've been sourced from somewhere if it had been needed.
taylor wrote:Image
Unfortunately, I don't have the general release Elektra vinyl to compare to the promo. Did they fix the mix of Walk Away or did the American market always have this different mix?
taylor
Slight Overbomber

robertzombie
Overbomber

Thanks taylor, are they yours?

I had a quick listen to the WEA Mixes bootleg on the way to work. The Walk Away "different mix" is definitely in there somewhere, I will spend some time comparing.
jost 7
Slight Overbomber

Is anyone able to share a glitch-free version of these mixes? That would be fantastic.

(Sorry for the forum cross over mix-up)
love is just a shot away
Victim of Circumstance
Slight Overbomber

@taylor: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

@robertzombie: I assume, these items are all from taylors personal collection :wink:
Kommt Zeit,
kommt Rat,
kommt Attentat.
robertzombie
Overbomber

The F&L&A Elektra promo has SRC (Speciality Records Corporation) in the deadwax. So I'm going to assume that the version of Walk Away on the promo is the same as this "dif mix" test pressing. I had another listen to the WEA Mixes, and, to me, it sounds like a more developed version of the Eldritch Mix.

Now to find out whether it was corrected for this: http://www.discogs.com/Sisters-Of-Mercy ... ase/313907 . Anyone got the matrix numbers?
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

have you listened to both versions of the video? I've never been anal enough to pick up on all of this :notworthy:
Goths have feelings too
paint it black

my elektra promo (complete with press release) to your link, has S828621 in gold lettering above the promo blurb (also in gold lettering)

record is from elektra asylum nonesuch records - STE60504-A-1 & B-1 - walk away is 3.23
Goths have feelings too
robertzombie
Overbomber

Unfortunately mine didn't include the press release. According to a user on the Steve Hoffman music forum, the general Tennessee Elektra vinyl has the correct mix, so it presumably has a different matrix number (on side a at least).

The Elektra promo has the matrix numbers quoted by PiB, it also has the Masterdisk stamp, SRC logo, and HW's initials in the deadwax :)
robertzombie
Overbomber

paint it black wrote:have you listened to both versions of the video? I've never been anal enough to pick up on all of this :notworthy:
Not yet, it's on my to do list. I'm surprised at the latter half of your sentence given your interest in collecting!
robertzombie
Overbomber

From memory, the two videos have identical audio but different visuals. I will check though.
paint it black

collecting is like making love to a beautiful woman. the thrill of the chase, getting her home, opening her up, the unused smell, playing with her a few times and on to the next one

the only version i can easily spot a difference with is the distance mix
Goths have feelings too
demolitionsisters
Road Kill

Does anyone have these mixes? If so, can they share them?
panzerfaust
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

youll find them somwehere around the sharing sections.

and that picture, omg. taylor = demigod.
panzerfaust

next time hes gonna post a photo of a videotape with the NEwcastle 85 gig
Being645
Above the Chemist

panzerfaust wrote:next time hes gonna post a photo of a videotape with the NEwcastle 85 gig
Oh yes, please ... and share it with you and me and everybody ... ;D ...

on the occasion of which, you will - hopefully - faint with envy and keep your nasty mouth shut for a moment, at least ... :P :lol: ...
Victim of Circumstance
Slight Overbomber

robertzombie wrote:
The F&L&A Elektra promo has SRC (Speciality Records Corporation) in the deadwax. So I'm going to assume that the version of Walk Away on the promo is the same as this "dif mix" test pressing.
Kommt Zeit,
kommt Rat,
kommt Attentat.
Victim of Circumstance
Slight Overbomber

robertzombie wrote:
The F&L&A Elektra promo has SRC (Speciality Records Corporation) in the deadwax. So I'm going to assume that the version of Walk Away on the promo is the same as this "dif mix" test pressing.
Most likely, but be aware, that there are at least 2 test pressings (there may be a 3rd one, but I'm not sure if it's genuine or a fake) of Walk Away from Speciality Records. My copy features the original US lp version, meaning that in the TITLE line, the words "Dif. Mix" are missing :wink:
Kommt Zeit,
kommt Rat,
kommt Attentat.
panzerfaust

Being645 wrote:
panzerfaust wrote:next time hes gonna post a photo of a videotape with the NEwcastle 85 gig
Oh yes, please ... and share it with you and me and everybody ... ;D ...

on the occasion of which, you will - hopefully - faint with envy and keep your nasty mouth shut for a moment, at least ... :P :lol: ...

the point of your post being?

(your implication of being envious is based on water, sigh, as that videotape exists)
(i admire taylor and all true collectors, period.)
taylor
Slight Overbomber

the above its the one side
this is the 2 side :D

Being645
Above the Chemist

the point of your post being?

@taylor .... :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: ...

So, it's high time for a page in the SistersWiki. One question: Side B has indeed Black Planet and is not blank? :?:
taylor
Slight Overbomber

indeed Black Planet :D
robertzombie
Overbomber

So does the Walk Away "dif mix" appear on the WA/BP promo as well? Or just the test pressing and F&L&A Elektra promo?
Being645
Above the Chemist

taylor wrote:indeed Black Planet :D
... the LP version of it ... :wink: ...

http://sisterswiki.org/Walk_Away_12%22_ ... ressing%29

as to Walk Away, though ... on the Elektra Promo label is explicitly written: LP VERSION ... :? ...
mh
Above the Chemist

Being645 wrote:on the occasion of which, you will - hopefully - faint with envy and keep your nasty mouth shut for a moment, at least ... :P :lol: ...
:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

That's all.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.