Neverland 11 minute + Version

Got any interesting thoughts on a set of lyrics? Any that don't involve the word "indeed"? Find yourself struggling to decipher all those obtuse references Von makes? Read "1959 And All That" and still no clearer? Nope, us neither. Postcards found lying in a skip around the back of the Chemists can be found here... Don't say you weren't warned.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Big Si wrote:And will the earth break your fall
And the hurt break your will
And the heartbreak be over
It will
Just had a thought-- compare and contrast:

Now the ground comes up too fast
Too fast to meet you
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
eotunun
Overbomber

markfiend wrote:
Big Si wrote:And will the earth break your fall
And the hurt break your will
And the heartbreak be over
It will
Just had a thought-- compare and contrast:

Now the ground comes up too fast
Too fast to meet you
Somewhere someone posted a remark that Eldo had lost some frinds at New York when the house they were living in collapsed. (If I´m not wrong that was some two years ago on Dominion..), then related to Good Things IIRC.

I remembered This video by Laid Back today, could this be related in any way? Bakerman was in the charts in 86, righty? That means it may have been in time to serve as an inspiration. If it´s anything else than nonesense, I understand it`s about letting yourself go with a drugflash..
There is shadow under this red rock
James Blast
Banned

Jürgen, that was awful. :|
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
eotunun
Overbomber

James Blast wrote:Jürgen, that was awful. :|
Did you mean awfull song?
Yupp. It is.
But the Video and what the general topic seemd to be made me think it could be one of those obscure connections we smell everwhere..
And turn of the sound, listen to Never Land instead and enjoy the flight!
;D

Probably another major goof, but i thought there my be something to it so I posted it.
There is shadow under this red rock
robertzombie
Overbomber

Interestingly, Never Land uses the same drum pattern as Led Zeppelin's "When The Levee Breaks"... which is about a flood... ;)
James Blast
Banned

The world and its wippet have sampled the drum from Levee, most famous is Dame Bowie's Let's Dance, track and album.
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
robertzombie
Overbomber

Maybe Eldritch decided to use the drums seeing as Floodland's central topic is the flood.
James Blast
Banned

Nah, it's just got that Bonzo thudd with as always a beautiful bit of Page production. Check Custard Pie from Physical Graffiti if you really wanna hear a John Bonham Thudd!
~ Peter Steele
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

robertzombie wrote:Interestingly, Never Land uses the same drum pattern as Led Zeppelin's "When The Levee Breaks"... which is about a flood... ;)
It's similar but not the same. Compare and contrast Rosetta Stone's cover of Levee ;)
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
mh
Above the Chemist

Incidentally, while wikipedia-wandering just now I came across this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kubla_Khan
Kubla Khan; or, A Vision in a Dream: A Fragment
Connection? We should be told!
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Nicole
Amphetamine Filth

mh wrote:
Andrew Eldritch wrote:I had this vision. You know in the summer if you lay on the grass and stare at the sky, you can almost see beyond the stars, but cannot quite get a grip on what's there? Well, sometimes it's very difficult to work out exactly what it is that keeps you pressed between the earth and the sky and why you don't whoosh off into oblivion. Neverland is coming about this the other way: the entire population of the earth starting to travel from some indefinable point in space toward the earth at increasing speed. It would take an eternity to reach the earth - by which time you'd be reasonably spiritualised - and even when you reached the destination, you wouldn't actually hit the ground. You'd be going so fast you'd just go through and out the other side, where there is another eternity of nothingness. I just tried to write a song about these impressions.
This whole quote makes so much more sense having heard the full length version with all the lyrics. The first time I saw this I wondered what in the world is he on about? Then it all became clear. Always loved Never Land but after hearing the full version - WOW. I was absolutely stunned the first time I heard it. When he started the "With our back to the sky/and our eyes on the ground" lyric I held my breath - literally breathtaking. Love his vocal on it too. One of the most gorgeous songs he's written. I really can't say enough about this song.
...with the wind in our face and our arms open wide...
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

Nicole wrote:
mh wrote:
Andrew Eldritch wrote:I had this vision. You know in the summer if you lay on the grass and stare at the sky, you can almost see beyond the stars, but cannot quite get a grip on what's there? Well, sometimes it's very difficult to work out exactly what it is that keeps you pressed between the earth and the sky and why you don't whoosh off into oblivion. Neverland is coming about this the other way: the entire population of the earth starting to travel from some indefinable point in space toward the earth at increasing speed. It would take an eternity to reach the earth - by which time you'd be reasonably spiritualised - and even when you reached the destination, you wouldn't actually hit the ground. You'd be going so fast you'd just go through and out the other side, where there is another eternity of nothingness. I just tried to write a song about these impressions.
This whole quote makes so much more sense having heard the full length version with all the lyrics. The first time I saw this I wondered what in the world is he on about? Then it all became clear. Always loved Never Land but after hearing the full version - WOW. I was absolutely stunned the first time I heard it. When he started the "With our back to the sky/and our eyes on the ground" lyric I held my breath - literally breathtaking. Love his vocal on it too. One of the most gorgeous songs he's written. I really can't say enough about this song.
Nice.... :notworthy:
"as we walk on the floodland"
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

It is a great lyric and very different to his usual both in style and theme.

But has Eldo really ever lain on the grass in summer? Or even dim sunlight?
Any more of that and we'll be round your front door with the quick-setting whitewash and the shaved monkey.
Nicole
Amphetamine Filth

stufarq wrote:It is a great lyric and very different to his usual both in style and theme.

:lol: I seem to remember him saying in an interview that he quite likes sunshine - not necessarily being outside in it, but seeing it come in through his window. Can't remember which interview though.

But you know in that quote, about Never Land, he talked about looking up at the stars. And afterwards the article does say "It was soon after this that Eldritch stopped taking hallucinatory drugs." :wink:

This is actually a great interview, the whole thing: After the Flood
...with the wind in our face and our arms open wide...
7anthea7
Slight Overbomber

Nicole wrote: :lol: I seem to remember him saying in an interview that he quite likes sunshine - not necessarily being outside in it, but seeing it come in through his window. Can't remember which interview though.
That's from the Collins BBC interview: "I like sunshine a lot. Not necessarily have to be out in it, but I like to see it through the window."
I seem to have a transcription of it here... :innocent:
And also wrote:"It was soon after this that Eldritch stopped taking hallucinatory drugs." :wink:
Having indulged rather a lot myself back in the day, hallucinogens were the first thing that came to mind when I read his description of the experience :lol: Can't imagine why it would have deterred him though... :wink:
Who can begin conventional amiability the first thing in the morning?
It is the hour of savage instincts and natural tendencies.
--Elizabeth von Arnim
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

Nicole wrote:
stufarq wrote:It is a great lyric and very different to his usual both in style and theme.

But you know in that quote, about Never Land, he talked about looking up at the stars.
Yeah, I knew that there were all sorts of comebacks to that joke (if it was a British summer, there wouldn't have been any sunshine) but decided to go with it anyway. He does look pale though, as if he doesn't get much vitamin D. Living in Scotland, I know exactly how he feels.
Being645
Above the Chemist

Interesting observations, ageofmaya ... utmost resistance has always been part of Andrew Eldritch's agenda ...
DomConway
Filth

Was this version ever released on vinyl or was it just the 2006 CD re-release?
the only thing to fear is fear itself
DomConway
Filth

DomConway wrote:Was this version ever released on vinyl or was it just the 2006 CD re-release?
Or indeed on any streaming service?
the only thing to fear is fear itself