Idea for a new book.

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
TheGoodSon
Amphetamine Filth

So I just finished the magnificent "Paint my name in black and gold" by Mark Andrews, and it got me thinking: I would LOVE to read a book, just as thoroughly researched as Marks book, about the period from 1993 until today.
Sure, there may not be too many interviewees, Ben and Dave probably wouldn´t be too inclined since they are still members of the band. Von himself - no. Chris Starling is no longer with us.
But that still leaves Adam Pearson, Mike Varjak, Si Denbigh, Chris Catalyst, etc.
Such a book might seem like a boring read, given that the Sisters activities over the last few decades have consisted of nothing but touring. But oh, it would be SO amazing to actually get to know more about all the behind the scenes stuff of why that is, why the band functions the way it does, and how the different members of the band have dealt with the situation.
The dominant need of the needy soul is to be needed.
z666
Amphetamine Filth

86-96 yes, and I think it's in the works already. Even stretching it to 99, which I believe it's the point it was decided The Sisters would never release another álbum, or at least when Eldritch stop considering it as a some sort of career-wise obligation. From there on I don't think there's much to say about the proceedings other than what we already know: they rehearse some new songs every couple of years, add the ones they like better to the setlist and that's basically it.
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

Yup, would love to read about this period.
TheGoodSon
Amphetamine Filth

z666 wrote: 25 Jan 2023, 13:32 86-96 yes, and I think it's in the works already. Even stretching it to 99, which I believe it's the point it was decided The Sisters would never release another álbum, or at least when Eldritch stop considering it as a some sort of career-wise obligation. From there on I don't think there's much to say about the proceedings other than what we already know: they rehearse some new songs every couple of years, add the ones they like better to the setlist and that's basically it.
I’d have to disagree, I think the period I’m suggesting (95-present day) would be THE most interesting part of The Sisters history to learn more about.

What really happened to the ”indie singles” promised in 1997? Von’s story has always been that they were stopped by Adam Pearson, but would the Von of 1997 really let a band member (albeit a co-composer) stand in the way of a release that he (Von) wanted to put out there? How would Pearson himself describe this incident?

The full SSV story?

Since leaving the band, Chris has been quite clear about that when he joined, he was told that the band would start to record and release new music again. What happened to those ”implied promises”, and how did the lack of interest for new products affect the members of the band?

When and why did Von go from being the infamous perfectionist, known throughout the music world as the guy who would such meticulous care of every detail having to do with the band, to the guy saying ”people can listen to us on YouTube live videos, that should be enough”.

Learning more about all this would be beyond fascinating.
MrChris
Slight Overbomber

I agree it would be fascinating to learn the answers to those questions, but I don't see how that would happen. Chris Sheehan is sadly dead, Adam Pearson does not seem to talk about the period at all, and Von doesn't disclose that kind of stuff. So what would be the source for the information?
Chris

---------------------------------------------
Again and again and again...
TheGoodSon
Amphetamine Filth

MrChris wrote: 29 Jan 2023, 16:49 I agree it would be fascinating to learn the answers to those questions, but I don't see how that would happen. Chris Sheehan is sadly dead, Adam Pearson does not seem to talk about the period at all, and Von doesn't disclose that kind of stuff. So what would be the source for the information?
Sorry to hear that Pearson doesn´t want to talk about his years with The Sisters, I did not know that. I just assumed that nobody had ever really asked him...
I´m sure Chris wouldn´t mind speaking up about his almost 15 years with the band. And then there is Mike Varjak and Si Denbigh, plus of course crew and other people around the band.
euphoria
Slight Overbomber

There is quite an extensive, if not revealing, German interview with Adam Pearson in Sonic Seducer 09/2020 made by 2T. Adam only has good to say about his Sisters time in that interview. His comment "When we rocked, we ruled" has stayed with me.

However, to be honest and more on-topic I think that the type of book @TheGoodSon is looking for here, won't be possible as long as Andrew is alive and The Sisters are active. The books that have been published so far are about finished history, whereas the "Why no new album?" is still unsolved and active.
mh
Above the Chemist

MrChris wrote: 29 Jan 2023, 16:49 I agree it would be fascinating to learn the answers to those questions, but I don't see how that would happen. Chris Sheehan is sadly dead, Adam Pearson does not seem to talk about the period at all, and Von doesn't disclose that kind of stuff. So what would be the source for the information?
I would suspect that as far as Von is concerned all the answers are on the band's website, and if pressed that's what he would tell you. The format seems to suit Von; he gets to control the information that does or doesn't get published, and he doesn't have to deal with any nasty people asking nasty questions about things he doesn't want to discuss or disclose.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
z666
Amphetamine Filth

That's exactly the point. We have the history (and the story) of the 81-85 Sisters not because of Eldritch, but because of all the people around him: other band members, friends, fans, business partners, press... Up to 1996 there's still some of that, although not in the same level because they were not a band anymore. From 1999 is basically Eldritch alone with the little bits of info he choses to share with the live band members. He's not talking about anything and the other guys' info would be very límited.
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

z666 wrote: 01 Feb 2023, 10:23 That's exactly the point. We have the history (and the story) of the 81-85 Sisters not because of Eldritch, but because of all the people around him: other band members, friends, fans, business partners, press... Up to 1996 there's still some of that, although not in the same level because they were not a band anymore. From 1999 is basically Eldritch alone with the little bits of info he choses to share with the live band members. He's not talking about anything and the other guys' info would be very límited.
i would say that most of the pertinent facts with regard to the history of the band did come from Eldritch (or were already common knowledge) and are on the official site, right up to the failure to arrive of the "Glorious Summer".
Mark's , Trevor's and Wayne's books flesh this out with individual viewpoints of 'known' facts and what is frankly nerdy trivia of interest to only us hardcore Sisters fanatics but little else.
After that well we have Adam who was in the band from when we were still getting new records right through until 2006 when Ben (longest serving human mamber after Andrew) joined. Chris Catalyst was with them for 14 years or so. What else do we want to know that they wouldnt? We wont ever get anything libelous or overtly private but as decent folk we dont want them to be public knowledge either. We probably know all that s**t between us as individuals, as
-albeit on a "you didnt get this from me but...." basis- info has disseminated to some of us. i mean i know a few little anecdotes that are straight from various horses mouths that arent public knowledge and so it stands to reason others do.
Which leaves us with tour anecdotes of the unlibelous kind and The Mother Question... which i suspect even Andrew would struggle to answer honestly. Probably Andy Taylor could tell you but he left the building long before all that anyway. Go Figure.
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
czuczu
Overbomber

Tim, Tony, Andreas, Adam and Chris give you the through-line from then to now. Add in various producers/engineers and crew and you could write around AE's absence. Sprinkle with Terri Nunn, Chuck D and Boyd. Make it an oral history and you're done :)
Todashi
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

czuczu wrote: 01 Feb 2023, 12:38 Make it an oral history and you're done