Is Wake fake?

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Francis
Overbomber

They were dismal at my first much anticipated gig at Leeds University in October 1984. Never bothered again until I found this place. So, did they tighten up after Marx left? Stayed sober and brought their A game for the cameras? Albert Hall acoustics? Post-production enhancements? Or have I just watched it too many times…
And you know that she's half crazy but that's why you want to be there.
MadameButterfly
HL's mystical safekeeper

are you drunk again Francis?
howzit by the way :wink:
it's all about circles and spirals
that ongoing eternity
taylor
Slight Overbomber

MadameButterfly wrote: 21 Mar 2023, 19:58 are you drunk again Francis?
howzit by the way :wink:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Francis
Overbomber

Rather disappointed with the lack of engagement with what I thought would be an interesting discussion so I shall crawl back under my rock.
And you know that she's half crazy but that's why you want to be there.
Kutan
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Maybe the topic wasn't interesting enough. *cough*
They definitely weren't sober. Wayne could barely walk from the night before, and Andrew was probably heavily on Meds for his broken ribs. I'm too young so I haven't seen them anywhere before 1990, so I'd say, it seems that they simply had a good evening at the RAH and it might have been pure luck (else there wouldn't have been any Wake).
Pista
Cureboi

Hasn't Wayne already mentioned he was off his face in a conversation about the KOHD solo.
I had (might still have) the audience VHS and it's a pretty fair representation of the Wake video. Albeit not a pro shot version
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
lilac
Road Kill

Pista wrote: 22 Mar 2023, 22:21 Hasn't Wayne already mentioned he was off his face in a conversation about the KOHD solo.
I had (might still have) the audience VHS and it's a pretty fair representation of the Wake video. Albeit not a pro shot version
Agreed to me Wake does sound a lot like the audience recording(s?) from that day, with cleaner sound but otherwise down to Body and Soul being the one song Wayne stumbles on just a little bit at the start of his otherwise impeccable performance that night. One of the bootlegs is youtube too:

Actually I wonder if Wayne and Craig were even available anymore when it would've been time to overdub/rerecord Wake for release.
Last edited by lilac on 23 Mar 2023, 21:50, edited 1 time in total.
Pista
Cureboi

Hello @lilac & welcome to :hl: :D
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
radioactive kid
Road Kill

Didn't part of the show get overdubbed with deeper sounding bass??? I remember having it on bootleg I think AE introduced it sat at a long table?
jost 7
Slight Overbomber

obvious is only the sound adjustment of the guitar especially on FALAA, but it is hard to say if something was added (flanger/phaser, compression, modulation), or if proper mixing was already enough
love is just a shot away
lilac
Road Kill

After listening to it again with this topic in mind don't the vocals to Logic sound a bit different and stronger on Wake? Maybe it was a tough song to do with a cracked rib so Andrew rerecorded himself for it?
Still on the whole I think it's a pretty honest live release especially compared to how a lot of them just get pretty much completely rerecorded
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

i honestly sont know what you were expecting Francis! A swathe of "No"'s? A definitive "Yes"? I mean, the gig definitely happened. I know people who attended and i know the Wide Recievers who were there. i have several different recordings and they are all the same performance.
Do you mean the bit in the video where the camera disappears up Andrews nostril? THAT bit is fake for sure. Andrew's nostrils were compeletely clogged up with various s**t & no way was there room for anything else. :von:
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

eastmidswhizzkid wrote: 26 Mar 2023, 12:55 I know people who attended
I knew a lot of people who said they attended. From the number of Leeds residents that used to claim that they had been there, you'd have thought that the RAH held as many people as Elland Road :lol:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

markfiend wrote: 27 Mar 2023, 09:52
eastmidswhizzkid wrote: 26 Mar 2023, 12:55 I know people who attended
I knew a lot of people who said they attended. From the number of Leeds residents that used to claim that they had been there, you'd have thought that the RAH held as many people as Elland Road :lol:
:lol:
like the 20,000 people who were amongst the 35 person audience the first time the Sex Pistols played manchester. My mate Michael was definitely at RAH and like a lot of people left when the lights came up. it was 30 years before he discovered (via the 80-85 FB group) that the band had come back on for a final encore. His ire at leraning this fact proved his attendance beyond doubt. :lol:
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

eastmidswhizzkid wrote: 27 Mar 2023, 16:28 :lol:
like the 20,000 people who were amongst the 35 person audience the first time the Sex Pistols played manchester.
:lol: Exactly
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
MoBetaBlues
Road Kill

radioactive kid wrote: 25 Mar 2023, 09:46 Didn't part of the show get overdubbed with deeper sounding bass??? I remember having it on bootleg I think AE introduced it sat at a long table?
he introduced a track from Wake on a WEA promo video with the words 'here's something we recorded in the very merry month of June...'
mh
Above the Chemist

MoBetaBlues wrote: 05 Apr 2023, 17:08
radioactive kid wrote: 25 Mar 2023, 09:46 Didn't part of the show get overdubbed with deeper sounding bass??? I remember having it on bootleg I think AE introduced it sat at a long table?
he introduced a track from Wake on a WEA promo video with the words 'here's something we recorded in the very merry month of June...'
Amphetamine Logic, Von was in his "big beard" phase at this time too, if memory serves.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
mh
Above the Chemist

Found it:

There's a short clip of the Black Planet video at the start, followed by AE in Wake garb (hat and coat), but with beard, introducing the song, which is acctually NTTC.

The video file was named "Andrew Eldritch - WEA Conference Video 1985".
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Icon
Amphetamine Filth

Thank you! :D
Always hated the beard, but it‘s not that bad „in motion“, that is when Andrew is filmed and not just a photo. :lol:
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

Wake rhyme with fake so i guess it must be true.
Incoming!
Amphetamine Filth

eastmidswhizzkid wrote: 26 Mar 2023, 12:55 Do you mean the bit in the video where the camera disappears up Andrews nostril? THAT bit is fake for sure. Andrew's nostrils were compeletely clogged up with various s**t & no way was there room for anything else. :von:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Thanks for making my day!
This place is death with walls