Is an AI AE the way forward?!

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Damaged+Done
Road Kill

reading this slice of AI hell
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2023/ ... -gallagher.
had me both excited, then clutching my pearls in shock.
What if someone applied the same approach to The Sisters...

Ok obviously mimicking oasis, a derivative band already drawn in the broadest of strokes might not be that challenging, but the rub with The Sisters is, the new material is already there.

Instead of AI lyrics which have already been proven to be god awful or worse, someone writing in the style of :von: , they could simply feed the vocal samples in, like in the article, and get the AI AE to sing the new songs over cover version of the new material. Even new videos wouldn't be a problem by using deep fakes.

The initial excitement at a new virtual Sisters was quickly replaced by revulsion.

I don't know about the legalities and undoubtedly, there would be cease and desist letters who be flying from the turrets of Eldritch's castle like rain from heaven, but the morality of it? Well, questionable sounds a little understated

It is like when advertisers use dead actors to sell s**t - or image or copy rights are signed away or licensed to sell any kind of s**t. It is outrageous.

And yet, even before AI, it's common practise. Elvis and Roy Orbison have recently both had hits with their voices put over orchestral backings, even Bowie had his vocals ripped from one LP to a new reimagining of Never Let Me Down, which always reminds me of the Bill Hick/Simpsons(?) joke of 'What I think God meant to say..."

Having said that, the last time someone tried to piggy back off Eldritch's artistic vision we got The Sisterhood -and I'm talking both versions...
iesus
Overbomber

Short answer no. :lol:

Don't put your hopes on AI. They lie always.
Look at an example... :bat:
'Are we the Baddies?'...
"Someday! Someday, everything you need, is just gonna fall out of the sky..." -A.E. Reading 1991
"Don't forget that most of the judges in witches trials had harvard degrees."
Pista
Cureboi

No
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Being645
Above the Chemist

Is an AI AE the way forward?! ... :lol: ... Well, that were a contradiction in itself ... :lol: ...
Damaged+Done
Road Kill

iesus wrote: 23 Apr 2023, 19:15 Short answer no. :lol:

Don't put your hopes on AI. They lie always.
Look at an example... :bat:
I absolutely agree but the idea wasn"t a pure AI AE. That I think is nonsense because AI is pretty p*ss poor, and while I'm not sure how long that will last, I can't imagine a thought process as unfathomable as Mr E!

The suggestion was, as per the AI Liam G, simply the technological ability people potentially now have to generate a studio quality Eldritch vocal to sing the new songs over a studio backing.
The technical answer maybe yes, but I found interesting was the morality of doing so
alanm
Amphetamine Filth

Taking a step back I would say that yes, AI is definitely part of the way forward for the music industry.

I expect AI to be heavily involved in "top chart" pop song writing and arrangement. Possibly in performance too although I think that may be further out. It's all about optimising for engagement and reducing cost and AI tooling will be good at that. Also (I've said it before here) - current pop song trends happen to align well with AI tooling: extremely simple melodies, removal of key changes, bridges and other variations, stripped down arrangements, pitch-perfect autotuned vocals, heavy production influence on the sound. Something like Drake's recent "Search and Rescue" already sounds like it's AI generated to me.

Then yeah, legacy acts. I think we will certainly see someone putting out content for dead or otherwise unavailable artists. Already happens in cinema (Carrie Fischer etc). Some back catalogues are valuable enough to make this a certainty.

Is it the way forward for TSOM? I'd say not in the short term, no. The band is a going concern and the 'way forward' is clearly to keep touring and performing new material live only. In the long term, who knows. I doubt it but wouldn't rule it out. I doubt the back catalogue is valuable enough for anyone to go to try to milk it to that extent.
Do you remember a time when angels... do you remember a time when fear?
In the days when I was stronger, in the days when you were here?
copper
Amphetamine Filth

AE for lyrics, AI for vocals? Call it Dr Avalanche crooning in his stead.
Dan
Overbomber

I wonder if AI could create a version of Far Parade? None of the tribute bands have had the balls to tackle it, so AI is our only hope!
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

Being645 wrote: 23 Apr 2023, 20:36 Is an AI AE the way forward?! ... :lol: ... Well, that were a contradiction in itself ... :lol: ...
i should have read the rest of the thread before writing my response! then i wouldnt have spent a half hour writing the exact same thing as you but using about 500 more words. :roll: :lol: on the bright side i dont get to read my response at a later date and wonder what the fuck i was on about! :lol: :innocent:
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
eastmidswhizzkid

Dan wrote: 27 Apr 2023, 00:50 I wonder if AI could create a version of Far Parade? None of the tribute bands have had the balls to tackle it, so AI is our only hope!
isnt what little music was written for the far parade used in Black Sail? or i will call you ..cant remember which. and the lyrics are terrible. but still light years better than an AI would write. or The Merry Thoughts

eastmidswhizzkid

this is a joke written by an AI:

Q: what washing machine has a September?
A: an autumn-matic.

no soul. no emotion*. so no joy & therefoore no pain. what the fuck kind of rock n roll would that be? **

*yet.

**Cliff Richard singing an acpella version of "All Things Bright And Beautiful" backed by The St Winifred's School Choir***

***look it up if youre too young / non-british to know. you will fuckking love it. :twisted:

Jeremiah
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

On the other hand, didn't they originally want a machine to do the singing? Maybe this would allow AE to fulfil his true calling as a drummer... :wink:
I tried to tell her
About Marx and Eldritch, God and angels
I don't really know what for.