2023-11-05. Boćarski dom, Zagreb HR

Gig news, reviews, set lists, thoughts, comments and observations on The Sisters 2023 tour.
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Some great pics and a linked review here https://www.perun.hr/the-sisters-of-mer ... eyan-baric
There is increasing evidence to suggest that Chris may have been being sarcastic.
dtsom
Slight Overbomber

Planet Dave wrote: 06 Nov 2023, 17:45 Some great pics and a linked review here https://www.perun.hr/the-sisters-of-mer ... eyan-baric
The review is a hard One...omg
2023: Los Ángeles,Las Vegas, Londonx2, Valencia Madrid, Lisbon, Porto, Bilbao
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

dtsom wrote: 06 Nov 2023, 18:40
Planet Dave wrote: 06 Nov 2023, 17:45 Some great pics and a linked review here https://www.perun.hr/the-sisters-of-mer ... eyan-baric
....and at odds with most of the audience, if the various YT clips are anything to judge from. Sounds like they're having a wild time. Ah well, can't please all the people all the time.
There is increasing evidence to suggest that Chris may have been being sarcastic.
Gothicbiff
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Fabulous videos :) :notworthy:
Here's hoping they keep this up for UK
I have seen The Sisters at The Paradiso. I will die happy
With massive thanks to Ruffers for his company and help.
A girl is never too old to wear a Sisters tshirt!
Being645
Above the Chemist

Can't read or translate the text, but the photos are great ... haven't seen such happiness in the band and in particular in Andrew's face for a long time, so the gig can't have been any bad ... mere pleasure... ;D ;D ;D ... thank you for the link .... :D :notworthy: ...
H. Blackrose
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Planet Dave wrote: 06 Nov 2023, 11:23
Jan wrote: 06 Nov 2023, 11:08 Wow! Intense performance, just watched "When I'm On Fire" with the band being on FIRE! Awesome, let's hope Kai is still around in 2024!
Sister Kai, as Von gleefully announces ;D :notworthy: let's hope that's a sign :lol: :notworthy:
... where? I hear "Sister Ben" in "I was wrong"
"We're Hawkwind and this is a song about love."
Dust Witch
Amphetamine Filth

It was later on in the set - Sister Ben, Sister Kai, and the amazing (could be misremembering the adjective) Chris Catalyst.
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Dust Witch wrote: 07 Nov 2023, 04:33 It was later on in the set - Sister Ben, Sister Kai, and the amazing (could be misremembering the adjective) Chris Catalyst.
Legendary :wink: :notworthy:
Back in time

Planet Dave wrote: 06 Nov 2023, 18:45
....and at odds with most of the audience, if the various YT clips are anything to judge from. Sounds like they're having a wild time. Ah well, can't please all the people all the time.
I was there. Now, started reading the review, never finished reading it. Had a short talk with Ben about the reviews and to quote him “All I’ve seen was a crowd of smiling faces and people enjoying the gig.”
The energy was out of this world, from both sides. The band performed and gave us what we need and we returned the favor.
Coming back to the review, translating just one sentence “ The existence of a machine like Doctor Avalanche bothers me the most.” explains everything (at least in my opinion). We all know what Doctor does and means for the Sisters sound so writing such a sentence quite explains knowledge of the writer. Well, opinions are like ……. everybody has one.
Summing it, it was bloody marvelous.
Dust Witch
Amphetamine Filth

Exact recollections are somewhat hazy thanks to the generosity of our Croatian representative and some very good rakija. Really brilliant gig though, band on top form and a great crowd, with an unexpectedly large amount of teenagers seeing them for the first time (and absolutely loving it). Also, feels patronising to say it when they're such a talented guitarist, but seeing Kai's playing on "Here" get better and better as the tour goes on makes me very happy.
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Dust Witch wrote: 07 Nov 2023, 11:59...seeing Kai's playing on "Here" get better and better as the tour goes on makes me very happy.
Not to mention his smile when he nails it, he almost looks surprised, what a guy :lol: :D :notworthy:

Thanks for the actual reviews folks, glad you all had as good a time as it looks like you were having :lol: :von: :notworthy:
z666
Amphetamine Filth

I thought the rambling about the drum/bass/keys machine and the lack of human players was a spanish thing, been reading reviews bitching about that since forever. The last one for the Bilbao gig. But looks like there's somebody in Croatia feeling the same way. Amazing.
dumbcat
Road Kill

I'm long past caring about Croatian reviewers' inane ramblings. Just a surface look at the vocabulary they use will tell you enough about their nonexistent writing skills they overcompensate for by being infuriatingly pretentious. The review isn't worth translating, as it's clearly written from a place of irrational dismissal of anything that doesn't fit the 1984 fantasy lala land image of the band, and keeps repeating all the same tired points, like all the reviewers who can't be bothered to view the band from a here and now POV. It's easier to resort to whiny emotional blackmail than to do proper research and turn the brain on.

I stand by my previous thoughts & feels - the mood was fantastic, the crowd was super emotional and responsive, Von looked grateful and happy. The press had 30 years to accept that Von had never been an impressive vocalist and that it was never his strength (or the band's strength) to begin with. The charisma is still here and burning, and what was most important to me, the band was PRESENT. There was connection there and some kind of love there, not sure what it was but it was special. I hope Von's health issues don't run deep and that he can recover if he gets enough rest. He and the band still have so much more to give. :von:
Back in time

dumbcat wrote: 07 Nov 2023, 13:53 I'm long past caring about Croatian reviewers' inane ramblings. Just a surface look at the vocabulary they use will tell you enough about their nonexistent writing skills they overcompensate for by being infuriatingly pretentious. The review isn't worth translating, as it's clearly written from a place of irrational dismissal of anything that doesn't fit the 1984 fantasy lala land image of the band, and keeps repeating all the same tired points, like all the reviewers who can't be bothered to view the band from a here and now POV. It's easier to resort to whiny emotional blackmail than to do proper research and turn the brain on.

I stand by my previous thoughts & feels - the mood was fantastic, the crowd was super emotional and responsive, Von looked grateful and happy. The press had 30 years to accept that Von had never been an impressive vocalist and that it was never his strength (or the band's strength) to begin with. The charisma is still here and burning, and what was most important to me, the band was PRESENT. There was connection there and some kind of love there, not sure what it was but it was special. I hope Von's health issues don't run deep and that he can recover if he gets enough rest. He and the band still have so much more to give. :von:
Nice. Is Croatian your native language ?
dumbcat
Road Kill

Bome je, Zagrepčanka sam :lol: ;D I just never know if it's rude to converse in your native language on an international forum... ;D
Back in time

Super, engleski ti je odličan, zato sam pitao. You are right, should continue in English.
H. Blackrose
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

dumbcat wrote: 07 Nov 2023, 14:49 Bome je, Zagrepčanka sam :lol: ;D I just never know if it's rude to converse in your native language on an international forum... ;D
English-speaker here, and I find it refreshing when people talk in other languages. I am embarrassed that my language is now the global lingua franca because of 150 years of imperialism and that everyone feels the need to use it. Google Translate is my friend, if I really want to know what you're saying it's not much of an effort.
"We're Hawkwind and this is a song about love."
Husek

H. Blackrose wrote: 07 Nov 2023, 21:26
dumbcat wrote: 07 Nov 2023, 14:49 Bome je, Zagrepčanka sam :lol: ;D I just never know if it's rude to converse in your native language on an international forum... ;D
English-speaker here, and I find it refreshing when people talk in other languages. I am embarrassed that my language is now the global lingua franca because of 150 years of imperialism and that everyone feels the need to use it. Google Translate is my friend, if I really want to know what you're saying it's not much of an effort.
I'm not a native English speaker, though it's the primary language of my household, and I agree with you.
Y'all guys can speak whatever language you feel comfortable with, the only reason why I was able to learn all other languages aside from my native one, is because there were other people around speaking them, and writing them, so if anything I'm always happy to be exposed to different languages.

Moreover, it's a thread dedicated to a gig in your city/country, that more than legitimizes speaking in hrvatski here
Project Personal Dok
Hardware: 100% (Single Hackintosh)
AU: 90%
Software: 90%
The Final Floorshow - My Own Sisters T-Shirt Shop