Possible unreleased song album covers from Overboming

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
NineWhileNine
Road Kill

These are 2 shirts from the 1993 Overbombing tour era and I feel like they would have been used as cover art for a few singles if they would have continued to release. The "Stranger Blue" as its called on UTR looks very similar to the Under The Gun cover
At first I thought maybe Summer or War On Drugs but they weren't played till 97
what do y'all think?

irresponsible decision making
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Dunno about single covers, besides being able to state the obvious (they weren't), but I know I loved the Blue Stranger one I picked up at the NEC, and wore it till it fell off as a pile of loose grey threads many many many years later. I'd rather like another ;D
There is increasing evidence to suggest that Chris may have been being sarcastic.
mh
Above the Chemist

Come Together was written by then, and there was talk of the band going into the studio, but I don't know. I personally think that the wheels had come off that era of the band shortly after Reading 91.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
abridged
Slight Overbomber

If I remember rightly, the tshirts were part of the rebrand, with new logo etc by Andrea White (if I've not forgotten her name). Of course, that design might've been used for a single but who knows? Apart from :von: obviously. :lol:
The Chancer Corporation
H. Blackrose
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

mh wrote: 29 Nov 2023, 17:42 Come Together was written by then, and there was talk of the band going into the studio, but I don't know. I personally think that the wheels had come off that era of the band shortly after Reading 91.
Probably the wheels really came off after _Some Girls..._, the point where Andreas had a go at Von in the pages of UTR and Von responded by "putting the band on hiatus". Then Tim decided he wanted to do something else. Of course Adam was recruited (by The Reptile House staff!) but there was no band as such at that point. All the marketing around "Under the Gun" and _...Overbombing_ was focused on Von himself and his attempt to reinvent as an Intellectual Love God (see T-shirt above).

I think we're extremely lucky that TSOM did reform as something resembling a band around Von and Adam in 97, and that Von's alternative career as a producer/techno DJ didn't take off
"We're Hawkwind and this is a song about love."
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

I never thought beyond UTG. Especially because the red version was more than likely done when the video was.
Goths have feelings too
OG23
Road Kill

H. Blackrose wrote: 29 Nov 2023, 22:31
mh wrote: 29 Nov 2023, 17:42 Come Together was written by then, and there was talk of the band going into the studio, but I don't know. I personally think that the wheels had come off that era of the band shortly after Reading 91.
Probably the wheels really came off after _Some Girls..._, the point where Andreas had a go at Von in the pages of UTR and Von responded by "putting the band on hiatus".
Interesting and hadn't heard about Andreas having a go at Von. Do you know the gist of what he said? Can't find online so curious as the other interviews I've read of his re very complimentary and cautious about working with Von.
Pista
Cureboi

Hello @OG23 & welcome to :hl: :D
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Fodderstompf
Amphetamine Filth

Bruhn gave some interviews to German „Zillo“ magazine in 1993. He said the band broke apart during the rerecording of „Temple of Love“ in 1992 when the studio sessions decended into the nightmare of the album sessions again. Then Bruhn presented Mr. Eldritch a bunch of song ideas he had written for the band and Eldritch refused to even listen to them. Bruhn furiously quit the band, got himself a solo deal and went straight into a studio and recorded the songs as his first solo album „Broon“. In 1993 he agreed to join the Sisters for their live dates as a guest musician. I like Bruhn‘s first solo album quite a lot, I definitely can imagine those songs as a possible Sisters follow-up album.
H. Blackrose

Fodderstompf wrote: 11 Jan 2024, 20:50 Bruhn gave some interviews to German „Zillo“ magazine in 1993. He said the band broke apart during the rerecording of „Temple of Love“ in 1992 when the studio sessions decended into the nightmare of the album sessions again. Then Bruhn presented Mr. Eldritch a bunch of song ideas he had written for the band and Eldritch refused to even listen to them. Bruhn furiously quit the band, got himself a solo deal and went straight into a studio and recorded the songs as his first solo album „Broon“. In 1993 he agreed to join the Sisters for their live dates as a guest musician. I like Bruhn‘s first solo album quite a lot, I definitely can imagine those songs as a possible Sisters follow-up album.
The whole story from both sides is in Underneath the Rock 5. The above is Andreas' side. Von's side is: his view was that, since Andreas wrote a lot of Vision Thing, on the next album Tim Bricheno's songs would get first listen. There were also problems with Andreas' manager who was pushing him to start a solo career (Von considered, and as it probably proved, prematurely). There were also disagreements about Von's decisions re: band management and direction: "It's a bit weird to be told how to run a band by someone who's never been in one before" - Von

Sadly, as it turned out, Tim Bricheno at the time wanted to write unmelodic industrial stuff which Von considered inappropriate for the Sisters, so he also departed.
Electrochrome

I pasted some snippets from both Andreas and AE from UTR 5. My immediate reaction: three quarters of the royalties?!?

From Andreas interview:
“When we went on tour promoting Vision Thing, I thought he'd try to establish this thing as a band again, but there were cerram things he didn’t do, so I sort of think that he never really wanted a real band. I don’t have a problem with that. I just have a problem with the pretense, saying yes and meaning no. It's been two years since we did this record. I think two years is enough for him to have established that yes, we are a band.”

Or time enough for the musicians to have established themselves?

“He's very difficult to work with, to communicate with.... I can live with that, but the effort has to come from two ways…I can't give in all the time. 1 had to learn about a hundred things to catch up with him, to know what he means, to get the things done that he wants…he can’t communicate, not at all. He tells yon things, and then does other things totally different. He can do these things to the press or to record company people, but not to the people that he works with, it’s stupid.”

From AE's response:
Communication, as they say (to other people), is a two-way street. Before the Tour Thing Andreas took in extra (ex gratia) payment, above his other monies, of £10.000 because he wanted to be in charge of rehearsals, making sure everybody knew the parts, etc. It was effectively a new band, so there was a lot to do. Although £10,000 was the equivalent of a year of my wages, he wanted to take on extra responsibilities…He then refused to speak to anybody in the band for weeks, although we were living and working in dose proximity at the time. That's embarrassing, particularly as he kept the money, which the band can ill afford. The last official correspondence 1 got was a letter last winter from his lawyer, explaining that Andreas would only consider himself part of the band if he got three quarters of the royalties. That at least communicated quite a lot to me. I stopped paying him. I didn't know he was already working for EMI. He got upset anyway. In order to fulfil the band's outstanding concert commitments I had to start paying him full-time again (although he was already working for EMI) and. as he makes clear in his interview, the Reptile House could not publish anything he might disagree with (like this article) until those concerts were behind us.
"Consistency is the sign of a decaying brain"
OG23
Road Kill

Thanks for the information everyone - very interesting.
3/4 of the royalties....as they couldn't retroactively assign old song royalties it would have to be any new songs written by Bruhn/Eldritch from that point forward. Assuming this refers purely to master royalties, not publishing, which I assume was going directly to Von.....
Sounds he wanted a "no, can't do, p*ss off" from Von, hence the 3/4 request....

Searched the forum/online but can't see anywhere to access UTR....especially 5.....any info appreciated, thanks.
Ocean Moves
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

H. Blackrose wrote: 29 Nov 2023, 22:31 I think we're extremely lucky that TSOM did reform as something resembling a band around Von and Adam in 97, and that Von's alternative career as a producer/techno DJ didn't take off
Does the "quiet period" of the Sisters Jan 1994 until summer 1996, align with this "alternative career as a producer/techno DJ " period ?

In an interview, I recall when queried on why he didn't tour during that period, and I think, whether he had a bike accident at that time, Andrew simply said "not saying".
H. Blackrose

Ocean Moves wrote: 14 Jan 2024, 22:18 Does the "quiet period" of the Sisters Jan 1994 until summer 1996, align with this "alternative career as a producer/techno DJ " period ?
More or less; if you read UTR at the time he's talking about his head not being in Sisters space, but being interested in "techno with tunes". But of course he was doing other things as well like trying to be a rock journalist (interviewing Cohen and Bowie). I think he was exploring his life options
ribbons69
Slight Overbomber

Ocean Moves wrote: 14 Jan 2024, 22:18
H. Blackrose wrote: 29 Nov 2023, 22:31 I think we're extremely lucky that TSOM did reform as something resembling a band around Von and Adam in 97, and that Von's alternative career as a producer/techno DJ didn't take off
Does the "quiet period" of the Sisters Jan 1994 until summer 1996, align with this "alternative career as a producer/techno DJ " period ?

In an interview, I recall when queried on why he didn't tour during that period, and I think, whether he had a bike accident at that time, Andrew simply said "not saying".
Is there any evidence that this "producer/techno" period actually amounted to anything at all, or was Von just doing nowt for two years?
"I've seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I've given him the benefit of the doubt"
Tom G Warrior of Celtic Frost

we fall to rise
H. Blackrose

Well, there's this