Atlanta, Roxy, March 4th

Gig reviews, set lists, thoughts, comments and observations on the mammoth 2006 25th Anniversary tour.
Brad
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Surely someone must have been there...
lachert
Overbomber

Don't be so sure ;)
long live rock'n'roll
Corporal Lance Boil
Road Kill

I was there.

I was extremely impressed. I'll be honest, I've never seen the Sisters live before, but have always been a fan, so I can't compare the show with others. I found this site because a random fellow at The Wedding Present show the night before almost convinced me NOT to go because of some flap in Phoenix. And so I poked around to find out what he was talking about...

He was wrong. The Sisters were definately live. I've seen enough bands and been on the promotion side of a handful more, and if Mr. Eldritch is lip-synching, I believe he deserves an Oscar. I only point this out because attendance could've been a little bigger, and I'd like to see people show up. Enough said.

As for the performance, I thought it kicked ass and ripped skulls. Highlights for me were "On The Wire", "Dominion", and "Lucretia". The set list was the same as the previous gigs, and I found the band to be tight, energetic, and any other good adjective I can think of. The sound was clear and loud, and I gotta admit I dug the hell out of the lights and super-heavy smoke. Those guys must have serious smoke bills. Vision down in the front was about 5 feet. Very surrealistic, the Sisters barely visible throwing the glowing smoke.

The band showed no signs of road fatigue or early-tour looseness, and I think those attending the remaining US shows and Europe will be stoked to see the shape they're in. I"ll definately see them again when they next grace our shores.
itnAklipse
Slight Overbomber

Nice...thanks a lot for the positive review!
we've got beer and we've got fuel
Brad

Thanks for the review. Much appreciated.
Brad

And speaking of the Wedding Present, they are in Toronto the same night as The Sisters. (D'oh)
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

Methedrome wrote:Thanks for the review. Much appreciated.
Indeed! :notworthy:
"as we walk on the floodland"
dead_cowboy
Road Kill

Atlanta rocked. The sound was perfect, Eldritch's voice was booming, and the light display countered the admittedly dense smoke. I can only complain that a few of my favorites weren't played, but that's kind of the deal with any band that has more than two albums out. There was also this obnoxious fat guy that kept yelling "Andrew! Emma!" over and over again, as if the band would go, "Hey, the fat guy wants Emma. We'd better get on that." He did pass me a half-pint of Canadian whiskey a couple of times, so I can't complain about him too much. Towards the end of the show, he got fed up with only being ten feet from the stage and barrelled his way to the front, pushing this skinny Goth guy in a tophat out of the way. Said Goth guy put him in a sleeper hold and punched him in the back of the head a few times, but that fat one wouldn't budge and just ignored him. I think they made up after a few minutes, because they were both against the gate after a while and the security guy spoke to him for a minute.

Anyway, all in all an amazing show and one that made me happy to still be a fan. I think the show had people from every f--king state in the South, because I overheard people talking about coming in from Alabama and elsewhere, along with the several of us from New Orleans that were present.
GrooveKitten
Road Kill

Thanx Corp!

It's good information to have just prior to attending a show, as I am Tuesday pm.

I am glad to hear they performed well. Attitudes and such aside, there's always been a lot of talent there!

gK
Badlander
Overbomber

Thanks to both for the review. I'm glad to see people are still ready make the journey from other states to enjoy a Sisters gig. The boys haven't lost all their appeal !
I'd end this moment to be with you
Through morphic oceans I'd lay here with you
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

dead_cowboy wrote: "Hey, the fat guy wants Emma. We'd better get on that."
:lol: :lol: :lol: :notworthy:

Well, you never know.

Cheers for the review, glad you enjoyed the gig. 8)
There is increasing evidence to suggest that Chris may have been being sarcastic.
Silver_Owl
The Don

No setlist again? Slack, very slack.
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
Deviancy
Amphetamine Filth

I second that...

Such a let down..
kafka
Amphetamine Filth

From what I can recall, the set list was pretty much identical to Orlando; a better gig, though.
[repeat x40]
Malkuth
Road Kill

I waited so long and drove so far for this gig. That's what made it so bad. The smoke I expected but the sound was absolute crap. I took up station behind the soundman (where better? He's mixing it). Incredibly weak sound. Where there should have been thumping drums and bass there was a fart in a can. The vocals were almost inaudible. Two guitarists on stage and I had to strain to hear them. It's OK I thought, they'll sort the sound during the first song. Two songs later and I wanna do the mix myself. So I move to about two thirds the distance from the stage. Better but by no means good. The guitars are still MIA. So I push on up until I'm about 10 rows back in the hope of catching some guitar sound from the backline. A slight improvement but the Sisters have been doing this a long time and I expected better - When You Don't See Me should bust your balls but tonight it was a pale imitation. A band I was in did a better version of Vision Thing (and we didn't do it that well!)
I thought the vocals were weak and AE wasn't putting himself out too much. Towards the end I got the distinct impression that he didn't want to come on to do the encores - the guitar riffs were overlong and the guitarists seemed to be looking to the wings in a 'Where the f**k is he?" sort of way. I could be wrong.
Noticed as well that The Sisters suffer from the 'Let's Dance' syndrome that Bowie suffers from - the best recieved songs of the night were the hits from Floodland. Only to be expected I suppose. (Sorry - getting a bit 'Gothier than thou" there.)
The whole smoke debate is irrelevant - give me guitars, give me volume!

Selah
"All I know for sure, all I know for real
Is knowing doesn't mean so much"
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

You should have attented a European gig... :innocent: :wink:

Welcome... 8)
"as we walk on the floodland"
_emma_
Overbomber

Welcome Malkuth. I think there is a lot of wisdom in your signature.