"While we're waiting for the next one to arrive!"

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
mh
Above the Chemist

Status Update - 8th December 2006

Taken:
Come Together: Motz
Summer: H Blackrose
Summer: mcalldp *
Susanne: The Mumbles
Will I Dream?: Mugabe
Will I Dream?: Methedrome *
Summer: Jost 7 (looking for vocalist)
Crash and Burn: CommodoreRock (tentative)
Crash and Burn: The Hated Reign (Bastardized version) * (Alternate MegaUpload Link)
Crash and Burn - The Mumbles *
Ahráyeph - Summer (late arrival, but it was worth it) *
Summer: TBND
Still: Arrrgh! * (vocals volunteer wanted)
War on Drugs: ormfdmrush (cancelled, Summer instead.) * :evil: :notworthy:
War on Drugs: Izzy
Top Nite Out: Mish *
Slept : FMAMMY's Band
Slept (Instrumental - awaiting vocals) - ???? (original instrumental by nonesuch) *
Romeo Down - lachert
Romeo Down - CellThree
Coffee and Groupie vetting: Norman Hunter
Mastering: Izzy/Syberberg
Legal Advisor: Canon Docre
Cover: James Blast

People, we have a full house! :notworthy:

* = Click on the title for an MP3 download
Last edited by mh on 08 Dec 2006, 22:05, edited 29 times in total.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
aims
Overbomber

It's been suggested in the form of backing tracks, but it might gather more momentum as full songs. I'd certainly be up for it anyhow.

How would we go about it? Everyone submits what they want and someone impartial selects the tracks for the final collection?

I've not got a clue about the copyright implications, but an Eels fan site I know of got away with it - the band has a similar stance to the Sisters; no pirating studio material, but bootlegs get the blind eye treatment.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I'm not sure that's the "official" stance; it may just be the stance QB has chosen / reckons we can get away with.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
aims
Overbomber

Hence "similar" ;)

However, it seems about as legal as "The Singer's Turn" (which Quiffy was fine with) so I don't envisage it bringing more legal bugbears with it than that, provided that it's not distributed on hard media / for profit.
CommodoreRock
Amphetamine Filth

This would be great. I would love to participate. I did a cover of The Church's "Lady Boy" for a fansite's tribute CD. I heard nothing more about it and I think the project is long defuct. But I'd love to tackle either "Crash and Burn," "We Are The Same, Suzanne" or "Will I Dream." Or any of them really. My friend and bandmate actually wanted to cover "Under The Gun" ("Two Worlds Apart) in the vein of a band you might know called Low as well as a reworking of Vision Thing. He is not a fan of The Sisters at all. I have to hear all the time about how that guy hasn't got a clue how he should write a song or swipes at the way he sings etc. But I think, although he won't admit it, Von has made some kind of impression because he is completely in love with the idea of doing those two songs as a 7" single (even if one is technically a cover of a virtually unknown song) and he likes the songs on FaLaA, if not the vocals. I'm certain I could interest him in also covering one of the new songs for your consideration.
robertzombie
Overbomber

Oh yes I'd like to take part! :D :P

Does it have to be new songs only?
Badlander
Overbomber

robertzombie wrote: Does it have to be new songs only?
I think any such rule would be very un-Sisters. :wink:
Brilliant idea BTW, I just wish I could contribute. If only I was a musician...
I'd end this moment to be with you
Through morphic oceans I'd lay here with you
robertzombie
Overbomber

"My Heartland" - A Tribute To The Sisters Of Mercy - Featuring songs old and new"

hehe i'm getting carried away at just the thought :P
TheBoyNextDoor
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

I'm in. Though I don't know any singer.. but maybe I can find someone interested in participate - a girl perhaps.

New songs.. hm. Ok, so who do which songs etc?!
aims
Overbomber

I guess I'll submit Susanne for consideration, then (see the covers thread for that). I'll have a stab at Come Together too, if no-one else does.
Petseri
Overbomber

Motz wrote:Hence "similar" ;)

However, it seems about as legal as "The Singer's Turn" (which Quiffy was fine with) so I don't envisage it bringing more legal bugbears with it than that, provided that it's not distributed on hard media / for profit.
In case anyone needs a link to this reference, just go to this thread. Too bad it never got completed. :(

As for legality, recording should not be a problem. You do not need permission to record a cover, although asking does not hurt. Selling it could be touchy because of the matter of royalties.
Last edited by Petseri on 06 Nov 2006, 03:46, edited 1 time in total.
James Blast
Banned

1st dibs on sleeve design Image
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
TheBoyNextDoor
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

My choices:
Come Together
Summer
Giving Ground *ehrm* :wink:
Still

I'll do only one of them..
robertzombie
Overbomber

we can do Susanne, body electric, Lucretia, giving ground.

if it's new ones only then we could always have 2 Susanne's on it, Motz's version is fantastic.

if it's anything then Body Electric 8)
Last edited by robertzombie on 02 Sep 2006, 20:37, edited 1 time in total.
Badlander
Overbomber

James Blast wrote:1st dibs on sleeve design Image
James Blast
Banned

There for you, when you need that shit.
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
_emma_
Overbomber

I think it should be the new (I mean, unreleased so far) songs only. Adding the old ones would spoil the joke. Do the old ones on a separate disc.
And please could someone make up a hillarious title for the one with the new ones?
aims
Overbomber

The Sisters of Mercy - 'Werkausgabe' and a Picture of Jane Seymour ;)
Badlander
Overbomber

_emma_ wrote:I think it should be the new (I mean, unreleased so far) songs only. Adding the old ones would spoil the joke. Do the old ones on a separate disc.
Nope. They're all Sisters songs. No reason to discriminate IMO. 8)
Do we really see the idea as a "joke" ? It could be a very nice record indeed.

Edit : another idea :
- Disc 1 : My Heartland, a compilation of Sisters songs by Heartlanders
- Disc 2 : Never land (a jazz odyssey), a 79 minute epic by the Heartland all-star big band :twisted:

And so much for the project not being a joke. :lol:
Last edited by Badlander on 02 Sep 2006, 11:11, edited 1 time in total.
aims
Overbomber

To be honest, I'd like to keep it to just the new songs, since we have no real preconceptions about how they should sound on record and it's far more challenging to interpret a song from a couple of bootlegs than it is to rip it off from a CD ;)
Badlander
Overbomber

Motz wrote:To be honest, I'd like to keep it to just the new songs, since we have no real preconceptions about how they should sound on record and it's far more challenging to interpret a song from a couple of bootlegs than it is to rip it off from a CD ;)
:notworthy:
Now I'm convinced. 8)
aims
Overbomber

Well that was far too easy :lol:

Cheers for the vote of confidence ;)
mh
Above the Chemist

Badlander wrote:
Motz wrote:To be honest, I'd like to keep it to just the new songs, since we have no real preconceptions about how they should sound on record and it's far more challenging to interpret a song from a couple of bootlegs than it is to rip it off from a CD ;)
:notworthy:
Now I'm convinced. 8)
Exactly.

I think "MyHeartland - While We're Waiting For The Next One To Arrive" should be the name.

As they would be cover versions, it would be entirely legal and above board. Plus, it would be very very nice to give people a legitimate way of obtaining the new songs, which is another reason for restricting it to new songs only. I don't see anything wrong with including more than one version of each song, if the interpretations are sufficiently good to warrant it.

Naturally, :notworthy: Blast Products :notworthy: gets the cover. None of that "democracy" sheee-ite for us - it's the Sisters!

As for lyrics, we can run with the official site for those that have been published. For the unpublished stuff, we have planty of interpretations around, so let's take the most credible ones and work from there.

And if it spurs The Great Man into action, hey it's a bonus. :innocent:

But that's not the objective, it's a bit of fun for us.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
aims
Overbomber

She's married to a soldier in the army of the reich... :innocent:

:lol:
Dark
Underneath the Rock

I'll do vocals on Top Nite Out.