all 3 albums reissued with bonus tracks.

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
vicus
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

mh wrote:i heard that rumour too, but it's been years and this is only the second time it's come up in my memory. does anyone know any facts?
german SPEX-magazine announced an upcoming ABBA-EP in 1985:

"Am Anfang wurde das Universum erschaffen.
Das machte viele Leute sehr wütend und wurde allenthalben als Schritt in die falsche Richtung angesehen."

http://www.poison-door.net/
Big Si
School Bully

vicus wrote:
mh wrote:i heard that rumour too, but it's been years and this is only the second time it's come up in my memory. does anyone know any facts?
german SPEX-magazine announced an upcoming ABBA-EP in 1985:

Good old, Vicus! :D

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
czuczu
Overbomber

Anyone know who played guitar/bass on Emma? It's simple enough for :von: to do everything but that seems a bit unlikely..
mh
Above the Chemist

Sounds like the Doktor to me, it's got that machine sound to it.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

Interesting thread.... :roll:

I would be happy with it. Even if only it's because something official is
re(re)leased.

Yep...appreciate it and make it a sell out (up to the fans and new fans).
Warner falls in love with Eldo again ($$$) and says it has learned from it's mistakes. Eldo buys it and smiles, looking at 3.000.000 pounds on his bank account and releasing a dvd and 2 cd's in like a year. Dream...dream....dream.... :)
"as we walk on the floodland"
mh
Above the Chemist

Ozpat wrote:Interesting thread.... :roll:

I would be happy with it. Even if only it's because something official is
re(re)leased.

Yep...appreciate it and make it a sell out (up to the fans and new fans).
Warner falls in love with Eldo again ($$$) and says it has learned from it's mistakes. Eldo buys it and smiles, looking at 3.000.000 pounds on his bank account and releasing a dvd and 2 cd's in like a year. Dream...dream....dream.... :)
Stranger things have happened (like Sue Ellen remarrying JR all those times), but...

(And that's mainly for the "Eldo buys it and smiles" bit)
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Big Si
School Bully

czuczu wrote:Anyone know who played guitar/bass on Emma? It's simple enough for :von: to do everything but that seems a bit unlikely..
Bass? Definitely :von: (Poor Patsy :( )

Guitar? Didn't that guy in the 'This Corrosion' vid help out a wee bit? :?
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
Kurbythegreat
Amphetamine Filth

Even if it is entirely warner responsible for releasing this, I'm not complaining. Cd quality for the rare tracks plus a full version of neverland and an unheard of version of Some kind of stranger (at least by me) ... I'll have to put my money down. :)
"We left you sleeping. Now we are sleeping with you. Don't wake up."
Syberberg

mh wrote:2) Where the f--k are Body & Soul, Body Electric, Train and Afterhours?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
Not enough room on the CD for them. Pity.

I suspect these releases are a result of the Silver Bullet Tour and a case of Time/Warner attempting to cash in on it. Yet more money for old rope. :roll:
I don't necessarily agree with everything I think.
eotunun
Overbomber

On a third thought:
Does releasing the live versions change anything about the copyright situation wit the the recordings?
The copyright hunters have shown to be hyperactive recently...
There is shadow under this red rock
aims
Overbomber

All of the live versions listed have been released as B-Sides already, so it makes no difference whatsoever.
flakk13
Amphetamine Filth

Syberberg wrote:
mh wrote:2) Where the f--k are Body & Soul, Body Electric, Train and Afterhours?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
The entire FaLaA and the three EP:s do fit on a CD. But then we wouldn't have that early SKoS...
Syberberg

flakk13 wrote:
Syberberg wrote:
The entire FaLaA and the three EP:s do fit on a CD. But then we wouldn't have that early SKoS...
Hate to disagree with you here, but commercially released CD-DA's are limited to 79mins and 59secs. Any higher than those and the error rate starts to become a factor. All of F&L&A with the B-sides and Body And Soul+B-sides comes in at 80:13. Just over the time limit. So no, you can't fit F&L&A, all the B-sides and Body and Soul onto a single CD-DA.
mh
Above the Chemist

Syberberg wrote:
flakk13 wrote:
Syberberg wrote: Not enough room on the CD for them. Pity.
Hate to disagree with you here, but commercially released CD-DA's are limited to 79mins and 59secs. Any higher than those and the error rate starts to become a factor. All of F&L&A with the B-sides and Body And Soul+B-sides comes in at 80:13. Just over the time limit. So no, you can't fit F&L&A, all the B-sides and Body and Soul onto a single CD-DA.
Is that including or excluding Long Train?

In any event, it does mean that there's another CDs worth of material, between B&S and various other odds and ends from 1984 (the Sisters story is not complete without KOHD) - whether or not it'll ever see the light of day is another matter.
Badlander
Overbomber

And these reissues, if they do see the light of day, are yet another example of record companies' cynicism. Before the 2K6 world tour, Von was just a major pain in the ass, he was just impossible to work with... And now that the Girls have regained some market value, we get these "new" CDs. I wouldn't be that much surprised if the Girls were offered a contract one of these days. :von:
I'd end this moment to be with you
Through morphic oceans I'd lay here with you
flakk13
Amphetamine Filth

Syberberg wrote:
flakk13 wrote:
Syberberg wrote: Not enough room on the CD for them. Pity.
It can be done. I've done it. Don't take those track lengths too seriously...
Badlander
Overbomber

flakk13 wrote:
Syberberg wrote:
It can be done. I've done it. Don't take those track lengths too seriously...
I guess it's just that Body & soul already is on Slight case... So there's no reason to put it on a reissued FALAA. As for Body electric and the rest, I don't know. :?
I'd end this moment to be with you
Through morphic oceans I'd lay here with you
the-happening

Big Si wrote:
mh wrote:Yup, it was recorded a number of times I think.

The Dominion B side version is obviously the definitive take though, at least in my opinion.
1984 Peel Session, then as a Demo along with Knockin' on Heaven's Door for use as B-sides or maybe even a covers EP :?: , finally re-recorded in 1987 - live vocals from the Electric Ballroom in Camden ( :von: on stage complete with lights and smoke but no audience or band :lol: )

:D
Emma was not recorded at the Electric Ballroom in Camden but the National Ballroom in Kilburn, would have been nice to use a venue with more association to the SISTERS though.
"i'm talking about god, devil, hell, do you understand, finally?"
mh
Above the Chemist

Hold on a second. Long Train is on FALAA, not on Floodland, right? Doesn't that mean that somebody with some knowledge of the Sisters put those tracklistings together?

Meaning that either (a) somebody at WEA bothered their arse to do a bit of proper research work, or (b) it's definitely a hoax.
zoozoon
Road Kill

mh wrote:Hold on a second. Long Train is on FALAA, not on Floodland, right? Doesn't that mean that somebody with some knowledge of the Sisters put those tracklistings together?

Meaning that either (a) somebody at WEA bothered their arse to do a bit of proper research work, or (b) it's definitely a hoax.
As far as I remember Long Train was also added as a flexi disc with first 5000 copies of Walk Away. Later it was added to the Lucretia to be more available.

BTW, my first post. Hello everybody.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Hello. 8)
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Karst
Slight Overbomber

Anybody from the Sisters camp who have come out to confirm this? I actually expected something to be up as 15 years mark for VT has passed if I'm not mistaken. That could possibly mean a change in the percentage that has to be paid to the copyright holders. Hence the mid-price tag. Not sure about this and I obviously don't know what their contract said/says about this.
Syberberg

flakk13 wrote:
Syberberg wrote:It can be done. I've done it. Don't take those track lengths too seriously...
Where you using CD-R? If so then you can get CD-R's that are up 99 minutes in length (good luck trying to find any though) and that's the only way you could've done it unless you used MP3's.

Sorry, but the industry standard CD-DA (which is a different animal to a CD-R) stick to 79:59 as any greater length has a higher error rate.

For more infromation go here

Here's the relevant section:

"What length can a CD-DA offer?
The specification for the timing on a CD-DA and other CD formats is based on a spiral along which the read laser tracks. That spiral had a nominal length for writing the full disc which corresponds to 74 minutes. Tolerance was established so that the actual pitch of the spiral would fill the disc at no less than 63 nor more than 80 minutes (actually, 79 minutes, 59 74/75 seconds - written 79:59:74). While it has always been clear that a steeper pitch, providing longer recording time, meant more errors than a shallower one, the payoff in playing time was deemed more important by the mass market so gradually shorter blanks for CD recording (CD-R) lost market. At this writing (2006), general-use CD-R blanks are available only at "80" minutes with 74-minute media sold only for archival use. Still longer discs have been marketed - up to 99 minutes - but they have high error rates and are seldom employed. It is worth noting that the largest 'length' number which can be written to the disc is 79:59:74; longer discs cannot tell the truth about their length and later track starts are not specifiable in the TOC."

As for me actually buying this lot of CD's, I'm certainly considering it if/when they ever see the light of day.
streamline
Slight Overbomber

I for one will be ordering this straight away...

I just hope and pray that they have been sympathetically remastered (cleaned up vinyl mixes of FALAA on CD at last would be great). However, do Floodland and VT actually need remastering? To me remastering is a means to compensate for shoddy production and I think that there is nothing wrong with the production of these two albums (and weren't some mixes on VT rejected as they were "too polished"?)

The early version of SKOS is pretty mouthwatering as is a longer Neverland (perhaps no longer a frament? :lol: )

Time to go to play.com methinks...

I trust you trust in me to mistrust you
flakk13
Amphetamine Filth

flakk13 wrote:
Syberberg wrote:It can be done. I've done it. Don't take those track lengths too seriously...
Where you using CD-R? If so then you can get CD-R's that are up 99 minutes in length (good luck trying to find any though) and that's the only way you could've done it unless you used MP3's.

Sorry, but the industry standard CD-DA (which is a different animal to a CD-R) stick to 79:59 as any greater length has a higher error rate.
No smoke or mirrors used, normal 80 mins CD-R.
I might have removed some of the silence at the beginning & end of a few tracks.
I made my very own Black October. Worked like a charm. Probably threw it away a couple of years ago. End of story.