Mish Songs Ref. Sisterhood/Split

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

apart from "wake" and "sleeping dogs..." can someone tell me what other songs (if any) were definitely directly written to/about von after they fell out?

to be honest i find most of hissy's lyrics so wet/flowery/crap that it didn't occur to me at the time that they might have much in the way of content.... however it made me giggle no end on a recent (rare) relisten to imagine just what level of contempt these responses to giving ground/gift may have reached in von's opinion (especially as he had already been gloatingly victorious, before forgiving and forgetting.)

*(lyrics reproduced here would save me having to listen to anything after the second 12" -by Stay with me it was "goodnight vienna" IMO :urff:
ta.)
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Silver_Owl
The Don

Sleeping Dogs....
There's the crime of passion
and the crime of revenge
but the worst crime of all
is the crime of regret
speak of the devil
and the devil may speak of you
why can't we
let sleeping dogs die

Deep, it cuts deep
and the affectionate prose
and heaven only knows
what your words are worth
and the giving birth
to the giving ground of judgment
and by fact of reason you accuse of treason
and claim betrayal to the Holy Ghost
of the sacred past
that's fading fast and forever

You took my hand
and turned it over
why can't we let sleeping dogs die
no devil so dark
as the devil I know
there's no love lost
and no reason why

Talk, of faith you talk
but you were the one intent on stun
you took my glory and pride
sanctity defied
and you never knew
what the gods could bring
and by playing the game
of whose to blame
it gets harder all the time
to put my trust in you
so reverence please
let sleeping dogs die

Let sleeping dogs die
Let sleeping dogs die.
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
eastmidswhizzkid

sometimes less is more, don't you think?

"you reap what you sow..."

or even better, the two-fingered nah-nah-ner-nah-naah! of

"2"...."5"...."zero"...."zero"...."zero"

i bet hissy wishes he'd (got the cash through having) written that. :twisted:

markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I always thought that Hussey's "I still believe in God but God no longer believes in me" was an expression of his feelings towards :von:

:lol:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
eastmidswhizzkid

spot-on mark. :lol:

i had a catholic friend (of the hypocrite variety rather than screwed-up by guilt sort) who got very sniffy that hissy had slighted god's eternal lovewith that intro.. she seemed to forget that as a some-time cross-dressin bisexual drugged-up rock 'n' roll star he'd be going straight to hell anyway. :roll: :lol:

nick the stripper
Slight Overbomber

markfiend wrote:I always thought that Hussey's "I still believe in God but God no longer believes in me" was an expression of his feelings towards :von:
It is, as is the title of the debut album "God's own Medicine" - i.e. giving Eldritch a taste of his own medicine (the irony being they failed miserably at doing so; I'll take "Gift" over "GOM" anyday. :von:).
eastmidswhizzkid

gift -two vinyl copies still intact (one bought on day of release new, and now unplayed as i got a 2nd hand copy for £2) but i've gone through countless taped copies and burnt-out one cd copy from extreme use.

god's own sticky-plaster -gatefold day of release etc....mint. a dozen complete spins at most. they were fine for 2 12"s then hisy disappeared up his own astbury. :innocent:

Dark
Underneath the Rock

eastmidswhizzkid wrote:spot-on mark. :lol:

i had a catholic friend (of the hypocrite variety rather than screwed-up by guilt sort) who got very sniffy that hissy had slighted god's eternal lovewith that intro.. she seemed to forget that as a some-time cross-dressin bisexual drugged-up rock 'n' roll star he'd be going straight to hell anyway. :roll: :lol:
Presumably she was also pissed off at "Jihad" and "Adrenochrome".
davedecay
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

How about Flood I?
In a flood of your tears, in sackcloth
And ashes and ashes and secondhand passion
And stolen guitars
Badlander
Overbomber

davedecay wrote:How about Flood I?
In a flood of your tears, in sackcloth
And ashes and ashes and secondhand passion
And stolen guitars
Not convinced. "Stolen guitars" probably refers to

I'd end this moment to be with you
Through morphic oceans I'd lay here with you
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Hasn't :von: explicitly said that "stolen guitars" is a dig at Wayne? Not that I'm ruling out the possibility that it's also a Bowie reference...
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
jay
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

markfiend wrote:Hasn't :von: explicitly said that "stolen guitars" is a dig at Wayne? Not that I'm ruling out the possibility that it's also a Bowie reference...
Thought it was a Sex Pistols/Bowie reference
I no longer get very wrought up over the liminals

Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

markfiend wrote:Hasn't :von: explicitly said that "stolen guitars" is a dig at Wayne? Not that I'm ruling out the possibility that it's also a Bowie reference...
yeah, i always took it as a bowie/pistols ref... i'm not familiar with any interviews on the subject, but now you mention it it wouldnt surprise me.

if it is about hussey, then unless he's being very literal and wayne actually stole a guitar from him, he's a hypocrite.

the sisters stole "hussey & his trademark guitar sound" from dead or alive in the first place :!:

hussey has always had a distinct guitar sound - listen to the ealr dead or alive stuff - like "misty cirlces" - ffs!. all eldritch did was hear that & think "i want that jangly s**t on my records!"
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
jay

tis mentioned somewhere on here...
http://www.5years.com/Retire.htm

nick the stripper
Slight Overbomber

Quiff Boy wrote:the sisters stole "hussey & his trademark guitar sound" from dead or alive in the first place :!:
I always thought Marx had a slight jangly sound to his sound. I dunno what you called his style, but the earlier Sisters tracks were definitely fueled by lots of distortion/fuzz and a lack of chords (with the rare power chord).
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

jay wrote:tis mentioned somewhere on here...
http://www.5years.com/Retire.htm
"In retrospect this concert was to be the last public airing of Ziggy Stardust, apart from the exclusive 1980 Floor Show of August 18-20 1973."

jay

nick the stripper wrote:
Quiff Boy wrote:the sisters stole "hussey & his trademark guitar sound" from dead or alive in the first place :!:
I always thought Marx had a slight jangly sound to his sound. I dunno what you called his style, but the earlier Sisters tracks were definitely fueled by lots of distortion/fuzz and a lack of chords (with the rare power chord).
I think it's a style called glorious incompetence that worked perferctly

markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Maybe I'm wrong then. Wouldn't be the first time ;)
—Bertrand Russell
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

markfiend wrote:Maybe I'm wrong then. Wouldn't be the first time ;)
the more i think about, the less sure i am about my previous opinion. the possibility that it was a (cheap?) shot at hussey is very in keeping with the rest of the stuff eldritch was writing & saying around that time...

i'd be interested to know how literal it was meant.

maybe its a shot at the first handful of mish tunes, which after all started life as sisters demos? :?:
Badlander
Overbomber

Quiff Boy wrote: hussey has always had a distinct guitar sound - listen to the ealr dead or alive stuff - like "misty cirlces" - ffs!. all eldritch did was hear that & think "i want that jangly s**t on my records!"
The guitar intro to Abba's Gimme gimme gimme sounds very much like Mish stuff. :innocent:

Hussey's just using far too much reverb for my taste anyway. :?
Last edited by Badlander on 22 Dec 2006, 17:25, edited 1 time in total.
I'd end this moment to be with you
Through morphic oceans I'd lay here with you
eastmidswhizzkid

Dark wrote:
eastmidswhizzkid wrote:spot-on mark. :lol:

Presumably she was also pissed off at "Jihad" and "Adrenochrome".
i doubt she would have given the sisters a second listen if they hadn't been cool amongst her friends...she was a simple minds fan at heart. :roll: :urff:

Chairman Bux
shut.the.fuck.up

Badlander wrote:
Quiff Boy wrote: hussey has always had a distinct guitar sound - listen to the ealr dead or alive stuff - like "misty cirlces" - ffs!. all eldritch did was hear that & think "i want that jangly s**t on my records!"
The guitar intro to Abba's Gimme gimme gimme sounds very much like Mish stuff. :innocent:
Minister of Misinformation and Misdirection.

We first met through a shared view
She loved me and I did too
eastmidswhizzkid

Quiff Boy wrote:
markfiend wrote:Maybe I'm wrong then. Wouldn't be the first time ;)
the more i think about, the less sure i am about my previous opinion. the possibility that it was a (cheap?) shot at hussey is very in keeping with the rest of the stuff eldritch was writing & saying around that time...

i'd be interested to know how literal it was meant.

maybe its a shot at the first handful of mish tunes, which after all started life as sisters demos? :?:
with lyrics that were dumped once already from black planet etc "second-hand passions"?

James Blast
Banned

I have to stand up for Mr. Lovelock re. his talents as a guitarist, he really did an oustanding job at the RAH Wake gig and the minimal solo on Heaven's Door still sends shivers. Lee's right tho, a lot of people (me included) jumped ship at the turgid Stay with Me.
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
jay

James Blast wrote:I have to stand up for Mr. Lovelock re. his talents as a guitarist, he really did an oustanding job at the RAH Wake gig and the minimal solo on Heaven's Door still sends shivers. Lee's right tho, a lot of people (me included) jumped ship at the turgid Stay with Me.
He is indeed a damn fine guitarist. He should not be allowed to write his sub Bunnymen lyrics though.