Info about Wide Receiver?

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Andrei
Road Kill

Hey y'all!

I was given a very nice Xmas gift this year: a copy of the bootleg Wide Receiver. It has some very interesting demos and live recordings- including a few songs I've never heard before, like "Poison", "Wide Receiver", and "Jolene". I'm just wondering though: any info on the origins of the bootleg, info about these songs, and where I can find the live shows that are on it?

Any help would rock!
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

"as we walk on the floodland"
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

Andrei
Road Kill

Thanks dudes! The sound quality is rather shoddy, but I'm just glad to be able to add it to my collection if anything...
"You must forget you are human, only when you forget you are human will you remember you are a god."
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

Andrei wrote:Thanks dudes! The sound quality is rather shoddy, but I'm just glad to be able to add it to my collection if anything...
Yep; nice bootleg!
radiojamaica
Overbomber

I for one love the song Wide Receiver... the lyrics might not be among the better Eldritch scribbles, but the overall atmosphere of the song works very good for me, especially at night & on repeat.
in dub we trust
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

Sure about what?
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

that Craig can/could write/wrote a music and Wayne can/could write/wrote a lyrics. :wink: :twisted:
mh
Above the Chemist

Well if rumours about Temple of Love and at least half of Reptile House are to be believed, one could very well believe that Mr Adams was quite a talented chappie in his day.

Wayne writing lyrics though; that's just pulling the pi$$. :twisted:
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
sultan2075
Overbomber

radiojamaica wrote:I for one love the song Wide Receiver... the lyrics might not be among the better Eldritch scribbles, but the overall atmosphere of the song works very good for me, especially at night & on repeat.
Actually, I think the combination of ridiculous lyric and ponderous, oh-so-serious delivery combine to make it one of his better pieces. It's quite funny, which is, I suspect, the point.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
radiojamaica
Overbomber

sultan2075 wrote:
radiojamaica wrote:I for one love the song Wide Receiver... the lyrics might not be among the better Eldritch scribbles, but the overall atmosphere of the song works very good for me, especially at night & on repeat.
Actually, I think the combination of ridiculous lyric and ponderous, oh-so-serious delivery combine to make it one of his better pieces. It's quite funny, which is, I suspect, the point.
indeed. :wink:
in dub we trust
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

Bartek wrote:that Craig can/could write/wrote a music and Wayne can/could write/wrote a lyrics. :wink: :twisted:
Ok, Craig yes.

Huss: what MicHael said. :wink:
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

it is well known that WR is a rejected track from the Black October LP. It is said, the only track completely developed by :von: , which is why it was rejected by the remainder of the band.
Goths have feelings too
Being645
Above the Chemist

So music & lyrics - :von: ... gotta correct that in the Wiki ... :eek:
Nork1
Road Kill

Ozpat wrote:
Sure about what?
Sure about music/lyrics to Red Skies Disappear? Marx/Marx.
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

Nork1 wrote:
Ozpat wrote:
Nork1 wrote: http://www.sisterswiki.org/Wide_Receiver_%28bootleg%29
http://www.sisterswiki.org/Red_Skies_Disappear

"Music: Craig Adams / Lyrics: That Guitarist"

Hmmm... you sure??!
Sure about what?
Sure about music/lyrics to Red Skies Disappear? Marx/Marx.
That's correct. Marx wrote the music and some lyrics to go along with it (more as an a guide than anything else, I think). Then Eldritch wrote some new lyrics. This was often how they worked.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

paint it black wrote:it is well known ...
Obviously not that well known... ;)
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Being645
Above the Chemist

:roll: :roll: :roll: ... so what's right now ?

and btw, is a copy of this circulating somewhere ?
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

elsewhere on this forum (oh, i dunno- try lyrics or somewhere) this has been covered.
for those who think that the lyrics to all sisters songs are about them -and therefore probably don't go to the lyric forum for fear of having their cornflakes pissed on- the general gist is that the track "wide receiver" was an experiment in multi-tracking guitars by eldritch alone, with the words a combination of von's fascination with american football and the (pretty bad) play on words of "why deceive her". :von:
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Being645
Above the Chemist

:lol: ... thanks for the info.

Another question, does anybody know whether the lyrics are alright here?

http://sisterswiki.org/Wide_Receiver_(song)