this corrosion cover in private practice

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
jost 7
Slight Overbomber

last night private practice featured a cover of this corrosion, sounding like a girlgroup, doing a popsong out of it (which it is), with even slight elements of reggea. who is the artist?
love is just a shot away
DocSommer
Slight Overbomber

http://soundcloud.com/dianebirch/this-corrosion

Seems the song is no longer available but the name of the artist is probably "Diane Birch":

http://dianebirch.com/

..sweet..

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzEEQArliic
Aazhyd
Amphetamine Filth

Only the Americans could have built a place like this in the middle of a jungle.
jost 7
Slight Overbomber

thx
love is just a shot away
paul
Overbomber

oh no, not again :urff:
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Indeed. Last time this subject came up, some people were... less than kind about Diane Birch. And she found out. (I don't remember whether she is actually a HLer or someone let her know about it.)

But either way.

Remember that other, real people are on the other side of the Internet, and can be insulted by what you post.

ANY sign of a repitition of that and this thread will be locked and deleted.

Thank you.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Anachonda
Road Kill

As this is a very good song by the sisters, it stays a good song when interpreted by Miss Birch. I like this folky cover. Sure, it is a very different genre, but really good songs don't give a f*** about genres. Jolene is kind of the other way around. A great country song by Dolly Parton and a very good (and funny) interpretation by the Sisters (and the White Stripes, as a matter of fact).
Turn into a china doll maybe go to the final ride
Baby go where I don’t follow baby to the other side
lachert
Overbomber

as i said before, she's quite cute. and cover... cover is cute too :twisted:
long live rock'n'roll
Gimme_The_Ring
Amphetamine Filth

I quite like it. :D

Hello Diane if you're reading this. ;D
James Blast
Banned

markfiend wrote:Remember that other, real people are on the other side of the Internet, and can be insulted by what you post.
Get Bent! :twisted:
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
sultan2075
Overbomber

I really, really liked her cover. I honestly didn't understand the hate. I'd rather hear someone do it like that than listen to Morgoth's Dethblüd or some-such-wankers do another version with detuned guitars, BOSS Metal Zone pedals and vomit for vocals. 95% of those so-called "tributes" to the Sisters are just insultingly bad.

The thing is, TSOM songs are legitimately good songs. They're good irrespective of genre, and they lend themselves really, really well to re-interpretation outside the confines of grunt-metal. Such re-interpretations are much more interesting, too. Hence the success of Lambchop's version of This Corrosion and the Supersuckers' version of Afterhours. With one or two exceptions, I think most TSOM songs would work really well with just an acoustic guitar or two and a vocal. And the FALAA songs would work fabulously as bluegrass. Play all the widdly bits on the banjo.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
DocSommer
Slight Overbomber

Last time this subject came up, some people were... less than kind about Diane Birch. And she found out.
And then what? I can't recall any remarkable signs of insults adressed to her. Why would one do that - she's cute and doing her thing, all of her fans are probably happy with it. But having and expressing any positive or negative opinions about a piece of music can't really count as a reason to push the red alert button just because some fanboy shows up and complaints a bit.

I think many/most Pink Floyd, Kylie Minogue and whatever fans are carry on the same bashing vice versa when it comes to Sisters covers :lol: :lol: the difference seems to be that we don't care 8)
jost 7
Slight Overbomber

basically this cover is really much more interesting than almost everything all those genre-wankers have ever done. and as sultan said, a good song works in various ways. the sisters have written some of these good songs.

btw., i saw roger waters last week and he really did a good cover of comfortably numb
love is just a shot away
James Blast
Banned

something Mr. E has yet to do
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
jost 7
Slight Overbomber

James Blast wrote:something Mr. E has yet to do
he did, although that was in the early 90ies
love is just a shot away
James Blast
Banned

not true
~ Peter Steele
paul
Overbomber

markfiend wrote:Indeed. Last time this subject came up, some people were... less than kind about Diane Birch. And she found out. (I don't remember whether she is actually a HLer or someone let her know about it.)

But either way.

Remember that other, real people are on the other side of the Internet, and can be insulted by what you post.

ANY sign of a repitition of that and this thread will be locked and deleted.

Thank you.
C'm on, Mark! I refined my opinion later on :lol:
James Blast
Banned

Comfortably Numb by A Sisters Of Mercy should be retitled Absolutely f**ked
~ Peter Steele
million voices
Slight Overbomber

I rather like the Sisters version of Comfortably Numb
....and Mr Blast you dont have to be so nasty in your opinions - there are real people on the other side of the internet so p*ss Off
Well you must know something
'Cos we're dying of admiration here
Mastering obscure alternatives
James Blast
Banned

no, I will not

I am a The Pink Floyd fan before I am a The Sisters Of Mercy fan and I will say what I hear - it's a fuckin' mangled mess

stab me
~ Peter Steele
Being645
Above the Chemist

James Blast wrote:Comfortably Numb by THE Sisters Of Mercy should be retitled Absolutely f**ked
... :lol: ... for once, you got the point ... :lol: ...

whereas Ms Birch might surely never get there ... :wink: ...
Anachonda
Road Kill

sultan2075 wrote:I really, really liked her cover. I honestly didn't understand the hate. I'd rather hear someone do it like that than listen to Morgoth's Dethblüd or some-such-wankers do another version with detuned guitars, BOSS Metal Zone pedals and vomit for vocals. 95% of those so-called "tributes" to the Sisters are just insultingly bad.

The thing is, TSOM songs are legitimately good songs. They're good irrespective of genre, and they lend themselves really, really well to re-interpretation outside the confines of grunt-metal. Such re-interpretations are much more interesting, too. Hence the success of Lambchop's version of This Corrosion and the Supersuckers' version of Afterhours. With one or two exceptions, I think most TSOM songs would work really well with just an acoustic guitar or two and a vocal. And the FALAA songs would work fabulously as bluegrass. Play all the widdly bits on the banjo.
Hear hear, couldn't agree more. As long as artists do something personal or indeed different with the original, they get extra points for at least trying. I wanna hear Dolly Parton's interpretation of Marian, wouldn't you?
Anachonda
Road Kill

James Blast wrote:no, I will not

I am a The Pink Floyd fan before I am a The Sisters Of Mercy fan and I will say what I hear - it's a fuckin' mangled mess

stab me
I am curious what you think of Scissor Sisters version? Please with motivation. It's slightly off topic, but what the heck.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Bloody hell the Scissor Sisters...

I'm not even going there.

Anyhoo, maybe my memory of the Diane Birch nonsense has gone somewhat awry over time. Give me a break! ;D
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Anachonda
Road Kill

markfiend wrote:Bloody hell the Scissor Sisters...

I'm not even going there.
And Radiohead, David Bowie, Easy Star All-Stars, Eric Prydz, to name a few?