Leeds Fanzine Whippings & Apologies #2 (September1981)

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
spiggymr7
Amphetamine Filth

Here's the "Whippings & Apologies" Leeds Fanzine N°2 dated from September 1981.
Firstly i must thanks the kind collector who open his archives and give his time and energy to look after this treasure onto his numerous box. :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
I enclose a photo of the covers for the first and second edition taken from the back side of my "Whippings Apologies" n°5, August 1983(also appear an interview of the "Sisters" inside).
I would like to see the complet fanzine N°1 and 2 to see if there's informations who could help regarding exact date of this interview, who take place after the 19 March gig with "Altered Images band" at the Leeds F-Club (as noticed).
Andy said "We've only ever played three gigs before" ....
According to the Sisters official gigography ,the interview should be done after the 22 March 81...and before the fourth gigs played in April or early May according differents sources ...Also we understand in the interview there are no organized gig date.
16-Feb-1981 : York
19-Mar-1981 : Leeds F-Club
22-Mar-1981 : Leeds F-Club
Also the mention regarding a tape for John Peel is interesting, i would like to get a copy of the tape... hope is what makes us live . :roll:
So, i give all the informations i've got,if you got or know anything regarding this old period, i'm very interested.

ST

mh
Above the Chemist

Awesome. I expect that the tape is probably Floorshow/Lights/Teachers/Adrenochrome.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Joy
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

What a fantastic 'historical' relic of the Sisters! :eek: They are sooo young! :oops:

My compliments to spiggymr7!! :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
"Music is there to enrich your life and make you aware of things in a slightly different way."
Being645
Above the Chemist

mh wrote:Awesome. I expect that the tape is probably Floorshow/Lights/Teachers/Adrenochrome.
Absolutely! ... that's another astonishing revelation from the archives ... :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: ...

BIG THANKS to spiggymr7 and all cooperating collectors ... :notworthy: ;D :kiss: ;D :kiss: ;D :notworthy: ...

And the picture of the early Sisters ... wonderful ... ;D ;D ;D ...

Very interesting are the short comments of other papers to it: Liverpool Mercury, Daily Mirror, Guardian, The Sun ... maybe a joke, though if not so ... :eek: :lol: ...
radiojamaica
Overbomber

a little treasure :D :notworthy:
in dub we trust
Dan
Overbomber

Thanks, I've not seen that before.
Yes, I'd agree the tape was likely to be the thing we know as "Floorshow EP".
I was thinking it might've been this but then realised those gigs on side B wouldn't have happened yet! Perhaps there was an earlier tape with just those 4 songs on it?
Being645 wrote:Very interesting are the short comments of other papers to it: Liverpool Mercury, Daily Mirror, Guardian, The Sun ... maybe a joke, though if not so ... :eek: :lol: ...
I think it's a joke.
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

:eek: :eek:

Woah ! :notworthy: :notworthy: to both @spiggymr7 and his source.
Having had nos 5 and 6 of W + A since they came out, I too was intrigued by the cover of no 2 in particular on one quarter of the back page, but had never seen a copy ... until now. Another mystery solved !
Weird though that they say that they had never heard The Sisters but Steve Trattles' (one of the three main contributors to W + A) photo of Claire Grogan of Altered Images on the cover of no 2 was presumably taken at that Warehouse gig on 19th March. Perhaps one of the other two (Mark Carritt or Mark Johnson) did the TSOM interview.
Thanks again for sharing.
brunobossier
Amphetamine Filth

Another great piece of history and another great piece of Sisters historical research :-)

The oldest piece I have is a review of The Damage done 7" in A Sounds edition of I believe somewhere in 80 ....
Gaijin

Thanks for sharing.
"All God's children give good phone,
I called Jesus He's not home... "
million voices
Slight Overbomber

Most interesting and enlightening - many thank for sharing

They must have played a lot of places without a decent P.A. the last decade or so.
Well you must know something
'Cos we're dying of admiration here
Mastering obscure alternatives
dtsom
Slight Overbomber

Priceless! :notworthy: :notworthy:
2023: Los Ángeles,Las Vegas, Londonx2, Valencia Madrid, Lisbon, Porto, Bilbao
bangles
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Fabulous find!

Whatever about the merits or reasons, it's funny to see that if you replace the attitude about doing gigs to releasing records, very little has changed over the intervening years!
Asperum Aestimate Fimi Aliquid Hodie
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

So the Sisters really never did play the Leeds pub circuit (e.g., the Pack Horse, the Royal Park).. unlike Near Meth Experience incidentally, who presumably brought their own PA !
So those stories about sets consisting solely of Silver Machine in random West Yorks locations must either be apocryphal or refer to a pre-Sisters incarnation...
spiggymr7
Amphetamine Filth

@NVL "photo of Claire Grogan of Altered Images on the cover of no 2 was presumably taken at that Warehouse gig on 19th March."

Yes like i said, nice to get this complete fanzine to get a maximum of informations, i will try to get it... this could be also very interesting to found the 3 Leeds' fanzine guys for the interview tape recording or photos ect ....

@Dan @mh
On Gary Marx's tape, it was notice MR cass 2 ........A MR cass1 should exist...i'm hardly looking after a tape copy ....i have found two "MRcass 2".....but 0 "MRcass1" .
Is there "Floorshow EP" on the MR 1 tape? the First single? lives or demos?...i don't know..
Regarding the John Peel tape ,it's the same, there can be various materials because Andy say "about covers the whole range of that we do" ... for me, i think there's more than 4 "Floorshow EP" songs on the tape .

@Bruno
This is the SOUNDS mag of 08.11.1980 but i have only a copy.

@million voices"They must have played a lot of places without a decent P.A. the last decade or so."

:lol: When i saw them in Clermont Ferrand or Paris , it was hard for me to reconize old songs ...:oops:
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

Now that MUST be the earliest review of the band ... unless anyone else knows any different.
With the angular, cheese grater guitar style and syncopated, am surprised that the journo didn't go for more obvious Leeds links (Gang of Four/Mekons) rather than JD.
brunobossier
Amphetamine Filth

@spiggymr7 : This was indeed the Sounds edition I was refering too. I have a complete original edition of that one.

I also have a full complete original Sounds 12/09/81 but need to verify in it what it contains on the Sisters.
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

brunobossier wrote:@spiggymr7 : This was indeed the Sounds edition I was refering too. I have a complete original edition of that one.

I also have a full complete original Sounds 12/09/81 but need to verify in it what it contains on the Sisters.
@Bruno from the date, I would imagine that it's the live review of Futurama.
spiggymr7
Amphetamine Filth

Yes......
SOUNDS 12.09.81 STAFFORD BINGLEY HALL FUTURAMA FESTIVAL REVIEW
brunobossier
Amphetamine Filth

Haha, you are all too fast. Indeed, review of the Futurama festival. I have a picture of the part that covers the Sisters but do not know how to upload it here.

Any suggestion ?[/img]
Pista
Cureboi

brunobossier wrote:Haha, you are all too fast. Indeed, review of the Futurama festival. I have a picture of the part that covers the Sisters but do not know how to upload it here.

Any suggestion ?[/img]
You could use the Gallery or plonk it in photobucket & link it here ;)
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
spiggymr7
Amphetamine Filth

I get the same trouble first ;-)
I used Archive-host and took the link for forum image, not the general link.
brunobossier
Amphetamine Filth

Here it is :

spiggymr7
Amphetamine Filth

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

spiggymr7 wrote::notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
Fully seconded ! Have seen more new 80-83 clippings/flyers/posters in the past three months than in the past thirty years. Thanks to all collectors who have shared.
Gaijin

:notworthy: Great clippings gents.
"All God's children give good phone,
I called Jesus He's not home... "