NEW SONGS!

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Todashi wrote: 04 Nov 2023, 09:21
lilac wrote: 03 Nov 2023, 20:30 Agree but seems like they stopped having those last drum hits in On The Beach, I miss them
Aw crap, you're right. They weren't played in Italy. That was the best bit.

Still, I suppose it shows the tinkering continues.
For me the best bit of the song is the lyrics melody and riffs of the song. But sure, those beats were groovy while they lasted.
There is increasing evidence to suggest that Chris may have been being sarcastic.
ruffers
Overbomber

Yggdrasil wrote: 03 Nov 2023, 23:42
Todashi wrote: 29 Oct 2023, 10:46
"We will steal what we cannot buy, when all is stole from us,"
"We will steal what we cannot buy, when all is stole from us"
"We will steal what we cannot buy, when all is stole from us . . . "

The final salvo -- the bass drum getting steadily louder and then the shotgun blast of the double snare hit and Eldritch growling " . . . ON THE BEACH"

I think this might be the Sisters finest moment since Ribbons, recorded or live.
To me it's very cringe, a feeling I felt for the first time in connection with the Sisters since I became a fan in 1983. AGREED

Oh wait, there's also YCBTO... AGREED

And Wayne's lyrics for the Dance On Glass/Black Planet demo...MEH

And some of the yelping... PLEASE, DON'T REMIND ME OF THE YELPING

We''re a broad church :)
Chucking another log on, reversing the polarity of the neutron flow
Yggdrasil
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

ruffers wrote: 06 Nov 2023, 16:00AGREED
Glad to see people of such discerning taste! ;D
ruffers wrote: 06 Nov 2023, 16:00PLEASE, DON'T REMIND ME OF THE YELPING
Sorry about that
headcleaner2k
Road Kill

Has anyone put together a compilation of the best of the best live versions of all the new songs with cleanup...or not?
If so, please point me in the right direction.
Would LOVE to cut to the chase.
!THANKS!

Erudite wrote: 22 Oct 2023, 09:54 By my reckoning, the following is every new song/instrumental they have played live since '93.
Have I missed anything?

Come Together
War On Drugs
Summer
We Are The Same, Susanne
Romeo Down
Will I Dream?
Crash And Burn
Snub Noise / Top Nite Out / Adam Decides
I Have Slept With All The Girls In Berlin
Still
Arms
Instrumental 86
Better Reptile
Show Me
Kickline
But Genevieve
Black Sail
I Will Call You
Here
Don't Drive On Ice
When I'm On Fire
Six Ways To Sunday
There's A Door
Eyes Of Caligula
She's A Monster
On The Beach
H. Blackrose

Why has it taken me so long to realise that the intro to "Summer" is literally "When the Levee Breaks"

Come to think of it, so is "Never Land"
"We're Hawkwind and this is a song about love."
Dan Cougar
Road Kill

sultan2075 wrote: 08 Oct 2023, 03:38
ribbons69 wrote: 08 Oct 2023, 01:34
Esoterica wrote: 07 Oct 2023, 22:23 Not to mention all of the NDAs needed to keep gossip mongers at bay.
Do you have a source for these apochryfal NDA's? What gossip would he be worrying about? He sacked a guitarist? The Sisters are not Metallica or the Rolling Stones, outside in the real world no-one cares about some old rock band from Leeds.
Can't let the world know that Von stays young and vigorous by extracting adrenochrome from young and impressionable fans....
He's not exactly Henry Kissinger yet.
Dan Cougar
Road Kill

H. Blackrose wrote: 17 Nov 2023, 02:03 Why has it taken me so long to realise that the intro to "Summer" is literally "When the Levee Breaks"

I literally just saw WtLB on a list of songs they've covered. Didn't bother to see if I could find it, but now I might.
DJW
Road Kill

Don’t recall The Sisters covering When The Levee Breaks but Rosetta Stone definitely did (and released it) and it’s mighty fine!
Dan Cougar
Road Kill

Dan Cougar wrote: 09 May 2023, 07:50 Also, on my way to the Land of Mary tomorrow if I'm reading these ashes right. Hope to get some videos, but I don't want to be thaaaat guy. Still, bought a new crap phone just for the purpose.
If I'm not reporting back here within the next 72 hours, just hope I'm still in Baltimore.
Well, I did not spend the last 7 months in Baltimore, thankfully. I also didn't make it to Maryland for the kick-off as my ride was rear-ended on the way to pick me up. And while he was quickly able to borrow a car we'd been significantly set back. And I felt a bit jinxed at that point as well.
But the fates took Mercy on me and I began to hear rumours that there was an effort being made to get me to the show in Detroit if I was interested. And as the date grew closer that plan actually seemed to be coming together. My benefactor would be buying three tix to Detroit, lending his mini-van to a mutual acquaintance who would get us there, and putting us all up in a hotel for the night. Our driver wasn't interested in the show, but a friend was and bought her ticket the night before we were to leave. We made it there in good time (about 6 and a half hours), and after checking into our room, we set out toward the venue while our driver set out to scout the surrounding area for things to do after. At the venue we made it through the merch line and got our shirts, and about ten minutes after that I ran into an old acquaintance (who I knew would be going even before he did as his gf had bought their tickets as a surprise birthday present). My buddy had largely gotten into them through me, and neither of our guests really knew them at all. But we all liked the opener, and we all loved the Sisters. Afterward we got Mom's Spaghetti and it was then that I spotted Dylan. I told my sad story of the time they cancelled in DC years ago after I'd made the four hour trip and how my ride had been in an accident the day we were to go to Silver Springs, and he gave me a pic and mugged for a few photos. We then did a mini-tour of nighttime Detroit, which for good or bad did not include the theater which shows Detroit's finest adult movies, and made it back to our hotel. So not only did I see my favorite band put on a pretty good, if not great, show but had far more fun overall than I would have had things went as originally planned.
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

DJW wrote: 19 Nov 2023, 14:48 Don’t recall The Sisters covering When The Levee Breaks but Rosetta Stone definitely did (and released it) and it’s mighty fine!
no Andrew just robbed the drum-track wholesale from it for Never Land.
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
headcleaner2k
Road Kill

The main riff from Arms is undoubtedly Ben's tribute to Millennium by Killing Joke.
H. Blackrose wrote: 17 Nov 2023, 02:03 Why has it taken me so long to realise that the intro to "Summer" is literally "When the Levee Breaks"

H. Blackrose

I want everyone to acknowledge how unbelievably spoiled we have been for new material since 2019. Remember when "Show Me" and "Better Reptile" came out and we were all excited? And those have been shuffled off entirely and we don't miss them because "Don't Drive On Ice", "Here" and "On The Beach" are such stonkers
Being645
Above the Chemist

H. Blackrose wrote: 31 Jan 2024, 21:32 I want everyone to acknowledge how unbelievably spoiled we have been for new material since 2019. Remember when "Show Me" and "Better Reptile" came out and we were all excited? And those have been shuffled off entirely and we don't miss them because "Don't Drive On Ice", "Here" and "On The Beach" are such stonkers
... and But Genevieve, and When I'm On Fire, and Eyes Of Caligula ... :D :D :D ...
H. Blackrose

Being645 wrote: 31 Jan 2024, 21:45 ... and But Genevieve, and When I'm On Fire, and Eyes Of Caligula ... :D :D :D ...
Yes, all of those. The eternal touring might have worn Von out but they were able to fine-tune and test the new material until the cream of the crop was left
Almiche V
Slight Overbomber

H. Blackrose wrote: 31 Jan 2024, 21:32 I want everyone to acknowledge how unbelievably spoiled I have been for new material since 2019. Remember when "Show Me" and "Better Reptile" came out and I was excited? And those have been shuffled off entirely and I don't miss them because "Don't Drive On Ice", "Here" and "On The Beach" are such stonkers
You can only speak for yourself.

One reason I didn't see them in November last year is because they'd dropped "Black Sail" and "Show Me" by the time Bristol came around. No "Crash and Burn" or "Susanne" as well. And the recent performances have been laughable with Christo singing in an unnaturally low voice to try and back up Eldritch.
To not know and to ask a question is a moment of embarrassment; to not know and not ask is a lifetime of shame.
ruffers
Overbomber

I really hope Dylan's part in this isn't just swept away with the detritus of history.

He made stuff happen in the band, and he is owed more than "so that happened" from where I sit.
H. Blackrose

ruffers wrote: 31 Jan 2024, 22:55 I really hope Dylan's part in this isn't just swept away with the detritus of history.

He made stuff happen in the band, and he is owed more than "so that happened" from where I sit.
I'm not sure this is a fair criticism. Dylan is still there, as is his photograph, as is the credit Christo/Eldritch/Smith for the new material. Just moved into the past tense.
H. Blackrose

Almiche V wrote: 31 Jan 2024, 22:46 One reason I didn't see them in November last year is because they'd dropped "Black Sail" and "Show Me" by the time Bristol came around.
Of course, there are always a hundred good reasons not to see TSOM, you just have to look at Facebook for a checklist (my personal favourite is "why don't they have a live bassist and drummer")
ribbons69
Slight Overbomber

H. Blackrose wrote: 01 Feb 2024, 00:32
Almiche V wrote: 31 Jan 2024, 22:46 One reason I didn't see them in November last year is because they'd dropped "Black Sail" and "Show Me" by the time Bristol came around.
Of course, there are always a hundred good reasons not to see TSOM, you just have to look at Facebook for a checklist (my personal favourite is "why don't they have a live bassist and drummer")
To be fair, the "live Bassist" question is a valid one.
"I've seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I've given him the benefit of the doubt"
Tom G Warrior of Celtic Frost

we fall to rise
H. Blackrose

ribbons69 wrote: 01 Feb 2024, 01:52 To be fair, the "live Bassist" question is a valid one.
Eldritch always responded to questions about a live drummer that they would just tell a live drummer to do what the Doktor does anyway. Same for the bass. Craig Adams was effective because he was used to working with a drum machine; Tony James is generally considered not very good.
Husek
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

H. Blackrose wrote: 01 Feb 2024, 02:23
ribbons69 wrote: 01 Feb 2024, 01:52 To be fair, the "live Bassist" question is a valid one.
Eldritch always responded to questions about a live drummer that they would just tell a live drummer to do what the Doktor does anyway. Same for the bass. Craig Adams was effective because he was used to working with a drum machine; Tony James is generally considered not very good.
Well, Chris is primarily a bass player according to to himself, and he has plenty of experience with the doktor, can we give the lad a bass?
Project Personal Dok
Hardware: 100% (Single Hackintosh)
AU: 90%
Software: 90%
The Final Floorshow - My Own Sisters T-Shirt Shop
H. Blackrose

It's been explained before. Eldritch considers himself TSOM's bassist. He can't play and sing at the same time, but he gets the Doktor to do exactly what he wants. Why should that be changed? (For pieces other than "Romeo Down" which requires a bass guitar.)
ruffers
Overbomber

H. Blackrose wrote: 01 Feb 2024, 08:38 It's been explained before. Eldritch considers himself TSOM's bassist.
That's new to me, can you point me to something more?
Thanks
mh
Above the Chemist

At this stage the Sisters haven't had a human bassist for almost 3 times longer than they have had one. Eldritch has said before that the new songs, which now do actually make up the vast majority of the set, were written to be played with Doktor bass, we have to assume that the rearranged old songs were likewise rearranged to be played with Doktor bass, and we have to take him at his word because there's really no other authority on this.

I'd still sneakily like to see a human bassist on stage.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
sultan2075
Overbomber

H. Blackrose wrote: 01 Feb 2024, 02:23
Craig Adams was effective because he was used to working with a drum machine; Tony James is generally considered not very good.
I get this. I largely learned to play with a drum machine, so I tended to have pretty good timing. Back in 2000 I joined a band as their bass player, and a few weeks later the drummer quit because my timing was too precise and he was too sloppy (we then replaced him with an old friend of mine who had impeccable timing, being a jazz-trained drummer). Playing well with a drum machine is a skill-set that is less easy to find than one might think. A lot of musicians are "loose" in a way that you can't be when you're playing with the Doktor.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.