NEW SONGS!

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Pista
Cureboi

sultan2075 wrote: 08 Oct 2023, 03:38
ribbons69 wrote: 08 Oct 2023, 01:34
Esoterica wrote: 07 Oct 2023, 22:23 Not to mention all of the NDAs needed to keep gossip mongers at bay.
Do you have a source for these apochryfal NDA's? What gossip would he be worrying about? He sacked a guitarist? The Sisters are not Metallica or the Rolling Stones, outside in the real world no-one cares about some old rock band from Leeds.
Can't let the world know that Von stays young and vigorous by extracting adrenochrome from young and impressionable fans....
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
GC
Slight Overbomber

ribbons69 wrote: 08 Oct 2023, 01:28
GC wrote: 07 Oct 2023, 23:06
ribbons69 wrote: 05 Oct 2023, 02:26 We've been talking about this for thirty years now but it boils down to;
Von really doesn't want to make a record.
Von has no need or incentive to make a record.
Ergo he isn't going to make a record.

If I have a task that is unpleasant that I don't want to do, but also that I don't need to do it, then you can be assured that I'm not going to do it. Why would I?
He cant release a record because he's still under contract (east west, strike, lawsuit.. whatever). Thats the only reason IMO.

There are no other reasons not to relaease anything (over the last thirty years) unless he just could nt. He has a million streams on Spotify every month and therefore a good market. NMA has 150000 pm, they release an album every two years.... and for them it seems worth while. His hands are tied.
"No other reasons"
The reason is that he doesn't want to do it. Why is that so hard for people to contemplate?
"Does nt want to do it" covers maybe a year or two, maybe 10 years of not being bothered. AE has not released anything new now since he was 30. I believe that he really wanted to release Summer with a new album around 2001 (correct me if Im wrong about the date) but suddenly realised that this would legally not be possible.

If he's not bothered why would he still write new songs and (more importantly) play them live. That shows hes still being creative and, seeing that half of the live output is prerecorded, still in a studio.
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

thats it -in the face of adversity a bloody minded refusal to accepts the facts will get us through. :P only kidding GC -hope still springs eternal here too.
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

Maybe because he can he still can, maybe because.
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

Todashi wrote: 07 Oct 2023, 08:55
Bartek wrote: 06 Oct 2023, 23:27 Well, lets do the hypothetical dane: you can record and mix it whatever you want nowadays, you can put vox so loud and so in from of everyother instrument, noise and sound in the mix that it would be audiable enough to carry the lyrics. If you want.
Meanwhile it been 32 years since last full studio album. It's enough to realize it not gonna happen.
Yep, very hard to argue with that. 32 years is a long time. But things change. First off, if you go back a few years, the idea that they'd add a new guitarist and trot out ten songs or so that were really good and worked well - effectively a fourth album, just performed live rather than recorded - would have seemed very unlikely. For literally decades, people had been saying 'He's scared to put anything out because he's left it so long it couldn't compete with the past etc" And then he did.

And of all the criticisms lobbed at him, I haven't heard many people say the new songs are s**t. They're not, they're really really good. So that's data point one - something very very unlikely has actually already happened. Ergo, it could happen again.

Secondly, this situation will come to an end. There will be a point where ill health, a failing voice and/or band disintegration will make it impossible or undesirable to tour. He's not a young man, and his tour almost fell apart this time. So there is change on the horizon - either Chris C steps back up into guitar when Dave is back, or Dylan returns, or Von says to himself 'it's been a good run, I'll quit now." If that last one happens then that's it. No more Sisters.

But I can also imagine a situation where he thinks to himself, 'okay, if I'm not touring anymore, I'll do an album' to leave a record of the songs, and to steer some residual cash towards the guys like Ben, Chris, Dave and Dylan who don't technically 'own' a part of the sisters, but have kept the band afloat as hired hands for almost 20 years. See where I'm going with this? Now, he might not. But he might.

But in all this the one thing we can be absolutely 100 per cent certain of, is change.
So basically, can we agree that it's totally up to him to decide if and when(ever) he wats to record and release it.

BTW, at one think he is very consistent in his statement - nowadays you're not making money out of recording, Spotify and other streaming services is not a source of income unless your song(s) hit billions of play, the only reason would be to tell press and fans: this is something new we got, we will be promoting it live, come and see; which is not a case with the Sisters it's done, people and press know it, by the sheer fact.
TheGoodSon
Amphetamine Filth

Bartek wrote: 09 Oct 2023, 08:45
Bartek wrote: 06 Oct 2023, 23:27 Well, lets do the hypothetical dane: you can record and mix it whatever you want nowadays, you can put vox so loud and so in from of everyother instrument, noise and sound in the mix that it would be audiable enough to carry the lyrics. If you want.
Meanwhile it been 32 years since last full studio album. It's enough to realize it not gonna happen.
Yep, very hard to argue with that. 32 years is a long time. But things change. First off, if you go back a few years, the idea that they'd add a new guitarist and trot out ten songs or so that were really good and worked well - effectively a fourth album, just performed live rather than recorded - would have seemed very unlikely. For literally decades, people had been saying 'He's scared to put anything out because he's left it so long it couldn't compete with the past etc" And then he did.

And of all the criticisms lobbed at him, I haven't heard many people say the new songs are s**t. They're not, they're really really good. So that's data point one - something very very unlikely has actually already happened. Ergo, it could happen again.

Secondly, this situation will come to an end. There will be a point where ill health, a failing voice and/or band disintegration will make it impossible or undesirable to tour. He's not a young man, and his tour almost fell apart this time. So there is change on the horizon - either Chris C steps back up into guitar when Dave is back, or Dylan returns, or Von says to himself 'it's been a good run, I'll quit now." If that last one happens then that's it. No more Sisters.

But I can also imagine a situation where he thinks to himself, 'okay, if I'm not touring anymore, I'll do an album' to leave a record of the songs, and to steer some residual cash towards the guys like Ben, Chris, Dave and Dylan who don't technically 'own' a part of the sisters, but have kept the band afloat as hired hands for almost 20 years. See where I'm going with this? Now, he might not. But he might.

But in all this the one thing we can be absolutely 100 per cent certain of, is change.
So basically, can we agree that it's totally up to him to decide if and when(ever) he wats to record and release it.

BTW, at one think he is very consistent in his statement - nowadays you're not making money out of recording, Spotify and other streaming services is not a source of income unless your song(s) hit billions of play, the only reason would be to tell press and fans: this is something new we got, we will be promoting it live, come and see; which is not a case with the Sisters it's done, people and press know it, by the sheer fact.
Agree 100% that making music these days is quite possibly the worst moneymaking scheme out there. Records hardly sell, streaming services provide very small revenues.
But, stepping away from The Sisters specifically for a moment: does that then mean that ALL bands whose name/brand is big enough to sell concert tickets even without the "promotional push" that a record can give should stop putting out new music? That that would be The Smart Thing To Do? I´m talking everyone from Taylor Swift to Nick Cave to Metallica. Should they all just stop releasing new music, because they still sell tickets? Is that the kind of the musical landscape that we want, one that exists only in the live venues?
I think this is a very fascinating discussion.
The dominant need of the needy soul is to be needed.
GC
Slight Overbomber

TheGoodSon wrote: 09 Oct 2023, 09:33
Bartek wrote: 09 Oct 2023, 08:45

Agree 100% that making music these days is quite possibly the worst moneymaking scheme out there. Records hardly sell, streaming services provide very small revenues.
But, stepping away from The Sisters specifically for a moment: does that then mean that ALL bands whose name/brand is big enough to sell concert tickets even without the "promotional push" that a record can give should stop putting out new music? That that would be The Smart Thing To Do? I´m talking everyone from Taylor Swift to Nick Cave to Metallica. Should they all just stop releasing new music, because they still sell tickets? Is that the kind of the musical landscape that we want, one that exists only in the live venues?
I think this is a very fascinating discussion.
But then if there is no money to be had from releasing anything I think maybe a more pertinent question, in the case of The Sisiters is why do small bands with a a smaller following (NMA, Therapy? etc) still release records in multiple formats. There must be some benefit to it apart from purely a creative urge?
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

There is a profit, but, according to Von, not worth effort. ROI is too small :wink:
Dan
Overbomber

Bartek wrote: 09 Oct 2023, 08:45 So basically, can we agree that it's totally up to him to decide if and when(ever) he wats to record and release it.
I think it's safe to assume at least for the older of the "new" songs that he'll have already recorded them. It's just a case of what he wants to do with them, and when.
DJW
Road Kill

There’s also the possibility in this day and age that a new release goes viral.

For example, When I’m on Fire could get picked up by a major sports broadcaster for use in some sort of tournament highlights reel and suddenly they’re back in the mainstream and streaming goes through the roof.
ribbons69
Slight Overbomber

DJW wrote: 09 Oct 2023, 15:44 There’s also the possibility in this day and age that a new release goes viral.

For example, When I’m on Fire could get picked up by a major sports broadcaster for use in some sort of tournament highlights reel and suddenly they’re back in the mainstream and streaming goes through the roof.
Almost anything is a "possibility" but that doesn't make it likely.
"I've seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I've given him the benefit of the doubt"
Tom G Warrior of Celtic Frost

we fall to rise
copper
Amphetamine Filth

Todashi wrote: 07 Oct 2023, 08:55if you go back a few years, the idea that they'd add a new guitarist and trot out ten songs or so that were really good and worked well - effectively a fourth album, just performed live rather than recorded - would have seemed very unlikely.
Mirrors the 90's some. After UTG, Von touted a reworked Ritual as a 'new' song (Come Together), but struggled to write an album around it. In '97, Mike Varjak joined the band and suddenly, he and Adam wrote out some real bangers.
Esoterica
Road Kill

Some major bands release new material using multiple formats (you still might even find new material on CDs, for example). Overall, the internet really blew a giant hole in copyright law, making it difficult to create revenue streams in the way that older formats did. CDs were “proprietary”—you had to pay for “your copy.” Then came CD burning and file sharing—who gets paid for what? Live shows cut through all of the confusion by saying, “Okay. You pay for a ticket. You see a show. That’s it.” And that’s how we got to where we are now.
Esoterica
Road Kill

Oh yes. Just in time for Halloween. Copyright law has a father. His name was Edgar Allan Poe. He was considered quite talented, but somehow he never seemed to be able to earn much from his writing. This led him to fight for his rights. His young wife lay dying while he argued heatedly with his publishers. Think about this as you read his poems and stories, keeping in mind that content doesn’t belong to a computer, it belongs to its creator. Sadly, Poe also had the reputation of being a worthless drunk. A friend said that it was a strange thing with Edgar. It would take only one good drink and he’d end up in the gutter.

Poe died at 40. He was diabetic.

A literary award was named after him. How nice….
Being645
Above the Chemist

A bit early for Halloween, Esoterica, but beyond that ... :) ... As to copyright from a reader/listener etc perspective it's always been the same
- We will steal what we cannot buy. ... Otherwise we were forced into idiocy... and the 90s were so sucking sadomaso and Darwinist ...
ExPsichonaut
Road Kill

Heard the new stutf yesterday, they make Eldo sound like an old jukebox anymore😂
Last edited by ExPsichonaut on 16 Oct 2023, 09:56, edited 1 time in total.
Elon
Road Kill

My take on the lack of recording is ego. AE doesn't want to screw up what he considers a perfect legacy with the three LPs. If he releases something now, especially at the age of hate-fueled social media, there is a risk that it will be a critical and/or commercial failure, and he sees it as a lose-lose proposal. If he needed it for financial reasons, that would be different, but since there is no money to be made releasing records and since the fans are perfectly happy to keep buying tickets to the instrumental gigs, there is just zero upside for him.
Todashi
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

What was that I was saying? :D
Todashi
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Speaking of, some nice new arrangements happening - the new end of On The Beach is perfect. Great call from the band - it punctuates the live set and makes that song stand out.

Oh, and I gotta say, the vids I've seen of the two gigs that Kai has played at sounds REALLY good. Dunno what's changed, but things are simultaneously heavier and airier. He seems to have an interesting chugging sound.
eastmidswhizzkid

Being645 wrote: 11 Oct 2023, 11:40 A bit early for Halloween, Esoterica, but beyond that ... :) ... As to copyright from a reader/listener etc perspective it's always been the same
- We will steal what we cannot buy. ... Otherwise we were forced into idiocy... and the 90s were so sucking sadomaso and Darwinist ...
its never too early for "Hello Ian"! i particularly enjoy all the preparation leading up to it as making WhizzWorld look dark, cobwebby y & skull-ridden takes no time at all! its like that all year round. Dont tend to like peeple called Ian though.... i'd apologise to any Ians on HL but as i dont know any its not meant personally. :twisted:

Being645
Above the Chemist

eastmidswhizzkid wrote: 16 Oct 2023, 10:57
Being645 wrote: 11 Oct 2023, 11:40 A bit early for Halloween, Esoterica, but beyond that ... :) ... As to copyright from a reader/listener etc perspective it's always been the same
its never too early for "Hello Ian"! i particularly enjoy all the preparation leading up to it as making WhizzWorld look dark, cobwebby y & skull-ridden takes no time at all! its like that all year round. Dont tend to like peeple called Ian though.... i'd apologise to any Ians on HL but as i dont know any its not meant personally. :twisted:
Fair enough, Brother Lee, and I surely didn't want to shy away anyone ... without variety life was a terrible mess... :D ...
eastmidswhizzkid

Being645 wrote: 16 Oct 2023, 12:08
Fair enough, Brother Lee, and I surely didn't want to shy away anyone ... without variety life was a terrible mess... :D ...
Please dont take a blind bit of notice of anything i say! my life is slowly falling to pieces in an incredible yet spectacular fashion right now so of course i am conversely surfing through the debris in some kind of end of days euphoria... so my opinions & judgements are questionable..

Being645
Above the Chemist

eastmidswhizzkid wrote: 16 Oct 2023, 12:32
Being645 wrote: 16 Oct 2023, 12:08
Please dont take a blind bit of notice of anything i say! my life is slowly falling to pieces in an incredible yet spectacular fashion right now so of course i am conversely surfing through the debris in some kind of end of days euphoria... so my opinions & judgements are questionable..
Oh yes, that's somewhat obvious, Brother Lee ... :lol: :kiss: ... I hope you enjoy all these tumbles ...
eastmidswhizzkid

i dont really enjoy it but this gallows mood is better than being misderable or worse despairing.

Dan
Overbomber

Elon wrote: 16 Oct 2023, 08:09 My take on the lack of recording is ego. AE doesn't want to screw up what he considers a perfect legacy with the three LPs.
Unfortunately the legacy for all the newer songs is a bunch of not so good live recordings (yes there are some good ones but a lot of sub par stuff). I hope he''s put aside some studio recordings so that one day they can be heard.