NEW SONGS!

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Erudite
Slight Overbomber

By my reckoning, the following is every new song/instrumental they have played live since '93.
Have I missed anything?

Come Together
War On Drugs
Summer
We Are The Same, Susanne
Romeo Down
Will I Dream?
Crash And Burn
Snub Noise / Top Nite Out / Adam Decides
I Have Slept With All The Girls In Berlin
Still
Arms
Instrumental 86
Better Reptile
Show Me
Kickline
But Genevieve
Black Sail
I Will Call You
Here
Don't Drive On Ice
When I'm On Fire
Six Ways To Sunday
There's A Door
Eyes Of Caligula
She's A Monster
On The Beach
Last edited by Erudite on 22 Oct 2023, 10:19, edited 1 time in total.
You are what you drink - I'm a bitter man!
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Pipeline is a cover, otherwise yep looks about right 8)
There is increasing evidence to suggest that Chris may have been being sarcastic.
Erudite
Slight Overbomber

Planet Dave wrote: 22 Oct 2023, 10:01 Pipeline is a cover, otherwise yep looks about right 8)
Oops! I'd always assumed it was a bit of Ben/Chris guitar wankery. :lol:
Being645
Above the Chemist

Depends ... if you're looking for unreleased songs, they also played Good Things a few times in 2008/9 ...
Erudite
Slight Overbomber

Being645 wrote: 22 Oct 2023, 10:10 Depends ... if you're looking for unreleased songs, they also played Good Things a few times in 2008/9 ...
True, but a studio version is now officially available on the BBC radio sessions. 8)
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Erudite wrote: 22 Oct 2023, 10:08
Planet Dave wrote: 22 Oct 2023, 10:01 Pipeline is a cover, otherwise yep looks about right 8)
Oops! I'd always assumed it was a bit of Ben/Chris guitar wankery. :lol:
:lol: you'd best go tell The Chantays that! :lol:
There is increasing evidence to suggest that Chris may have been being sarcastic.
Erudite
Slight Overbomber

@Planet Dave, @Being645
Anyway, original post now edited for accuracy and clarity. :notworthy:
Todashi
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Todashi wrote: 16 Oct 2023, 08:13 Speaking of, some nice new arrangements happening . . .
Seems like there's been some steady tinkering going on, presumbaly on the tour bus.

https://youtu.be/j3iQnLd6RI0

Dr Jeep/Det B hasn't sounded like this for a while.

Relentless.
mh
Above the Chemist

There's definitely more tinkly/spangly bits, which is, I believe, the correct technical term.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Erudite
Slight Overbomber

mh wrote: 28 Oct 2023, 17:01 There's definitely more tinkly/spangly bits, which is, I believe, the correct technical term.
Clearly a man who shares my level of musicianship. :lol:
Yggdrasil

Todashi wrote: 28 Oct 2023, 16:40
Todashi wrote: 16 Oct 2023, 08:13 Speaking of, some nice new arrangements happening . . .
Seems like there's been some steady tinkering going on, presumbaly on the tour bus.
Definitely, quote a bit of it, too! It's pretty fun to listen to all the changes being tinkered with/ put in / tested out.

I was just listening through a bunch of recordings from 2021 onwards, trying to find which one was the best overall in terms of

- perfomance & energy
- least irritating audience noise (hollering females) or lack of it (statues and dead space - hello Copenhagen)
- decent vocal peformance by :von: , least yelping, mumbling, hiccuping and growling
- both guitars audible, good balance between instruments
- good sound quality
- highest number of unreleased & new songs played, interesting setlist in general

and I came to the conclusion that I find the London Roundhouse 2021-09-11 show being the most enjoyable and easy on the ears overall (hardly any synth sounds/tingly bits audible though - but the arrangements were more guitar-focused back then), followed by the 2022-10-28 Brisbane show, which while having a really rowdy audience and much less clean sound also has great energy by all involved, everyone in really high spirits, and a great set list to boot.

I think the most recent recordings all sound a little flat/sterile performance wise, and listening back to so many shows in one go, it's also clear that :von: 's voice issues have been at one of his all-time lows recently, to the point where it's really distracting to listen to (maybe also exacerbated by Dylan not being there to help out any longer).

Another issue I have with the recent recordings is the hardly audible second guitar and overbearing synth sounds, but that might just be unfortunate positioning of the people recording the shows, or the sound mix being wonky.

My main finding though is how much I LOVE many of the new songs, and what a great place the band seems to be in creatively - it's like night and day compared with the past 10-15 years, where I was feeling like I was following a waning band increasingly going though the motions. Now they feel revitalized (despite :von: 's vocal issues) and it's fun being a Sisters fan again - almost a little similar in feel to how it felt back in 83/84, excitedly listening to tapes and bootlegs for new songs and arrangements.

But Genevieve is easily in my top 10 all-time favorite SoM songs list, and When I'm on Fire, She's A Monster and Don't Drive On Ice are easily in my top 25 as well.

Which show recordings do you guys like the best from 2021 onwards? Any good ones you recommend checking out, judging by the above requirements list?
Todashi

Yggdrasil wrote: 29 Oct 2023, 00:16 But Genevieve is easily in my top 10 all-time favorite SoM songs list, and When I'm on Fire, She's A Monster and Don't Drive On Ice are easily in my top 25 as well.
Agreed. A great time to be a Sisters fan. Evolving new songs that sound better and better, big tours and plenty of tour-drama. And actually, the last two or three gigs have sounded great. In Porto, where that Dr Jeep Det B vid above came from, he sounds pretty good.

But anyway, mainly I wanted to reply to say, WTF happened to She's a Monster? An amazing song, played once? Am I missing some gigs where they did this again? Madrid 2022 and never again?
Todashi

I've watched this clip five or six times now.

It's the reworked On The Beach.

From 3:10:

"We will steal what we cannot buy, when all is stole from us,"
"We will steal what we cannot buy, when all is stole from us"
"We will steal what we cannot buy, when all is stole from us . . . "

The final salvo -- the bass drum getting steadily louder and then the shotgun blast of the double snare hit and Eldritch growling " . . . ON THE BEACH"

I think this might be the Sisters finest moment since Ribbons, recorded or live.
DJW
Road Kill

Like it. Von definitely channelling his inner Leonard Cohen here. Which is a good thing.
Yggdrasil

Todashi wrote: 29 Oct 2023, 10:37WTF happened to She's a Monster? An amazing song, played once? Am I missing some gigs where they did this again? Madrid 2022 and never again?
Yep, just that one time.

I really hope they play it again.
H. Blackrose

Yggdrasil wrote: 29 Oct 2023, 21:48
Todashi wrote: 29 Oct 2023, 10:37WTF happened to She's a Monster? An amazing song, played once? Am I missing some gigs where they did this again? Madrid 2022 and never again?
Yep, just that one time.

There was an ugly rumour somewhere that Von forgot the words!
"We're Hawkwind and this is a song about love."
LyanvisAberrant
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

H. Blackrose wrote: 29 Oct 2023, 23:07
Yggdrasil wrote: 29 Oct 2023, 21:48
Yep, just that one time.

There was an ugly rumour somewhere that Von forgot the words!
Never stopped him before
A man with a fictitious grin pondered the terrain in which he flooded with anguish, for this is England. The lion cannot be tamed, this is the game.
Todashi

Two things - watching another Porto video, the new insertion of the choral parts into the middle (and not just the intro) of This Corrosion sounds steller. Such an obvious thing to do I'm not sure why they haven't done it before?

Particularly for the last song of a set, it blows the roof off. That Porto show is the gift that keeps on giving.
LyanvisAberrant
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Oh whilst we're on the subject of changes, i noticed the mid section (after the first chorus) of i will call you was shortened in half last night.
A man with a fictitious grin pondered the terrain in which he flooded with anguish, for this is England. The lion cannot be tamed, this is the game.
lilac
Road Kill

Yggdrasil wrote: 29 Oct 2023, 00:16But Genevieve is easily in my top 10 all-time favorite SoM songs list, and When I'm on Fire, She's A Monster and Don't Drive On Ice are easily in my top 25 as well.
crazy how you could do a totally different selection of great songs like for me I think it'd be Caligula, Here and On The Beach, Show Me and There's A Door too the new songs are just good as hell I'm listening to them the most of any Sisters songs lately
Which show recordings do you guys like the best from 2021 onwards? Any good ones you recommend checking out, judging by the above requirements list?
This yesterday's Milan recording is really good especially for Andrew's vocals but it doesn't have that many new songs
I think Eggi's Wroclaw 2022 would be the one if Andrew hadn't forgotten a few lines, idk if anyone even noticed live but it's frustrating if you want the perfectest recordings of the songs
Also Sick New World and Maastricht 2022 his voice's really clear BUT there's just old songs from Maastricht on youtube and no full recording at least that I've found, annoying cause it sounds like a great show
Todashi wrote: 29 Oct 2023, 10:46 The final salvo -- the bass drum getting steadily louder and then the shotgun blast of the double snare hit and Eldritch growling " . . . ON THE BEACH"

I think this might be the Sisters finest moment since Ribbons, recorded or live.
Agree but seems like they stopped having those last drum hits in On The Beach, I miss them
Yggdrasil

lilac wrote: 03 Nov 2023, 20:30
Yggdrasil wrote: 29 Oct 2023, 00:16But Genevieve is easily in my top 10 all-time favorite SoM songs list, and When I'm on Fire, She's A Monster and Don't Drive On Ice are easily in my top 25 as well.
crazy how you could do a totally different selection of great songs like for me I think it'd be Caligula, Here and On The Beach, Show Me and There's A Door too the new songs are just good as hell I'm listening to them the most of any Sisters songs lately

Different strokes for different folks :) ... I think all the new songs are really good (I could have included Show Me and Door on my list), it's just that I find the predictable political ranting juvenile, tedious and very sub par coming from someone with :von: 's capabilities - I prefer his poetic side, e.g. Summer, Flood, etc (and Fix, speaking of more political, but still poetic).
lilac wrote: 03 Nov 2023, 20:30
This yesterday's Milan recording is really good especially for Andrew's vocals but it doesn't have that many new songs
I think Eggi's Wroclaw 2022 would be the one if Andrew hadn't forgotten a few lines, idk if anyone even noticed live but it's frustrating if you want the perfectest recordings of the songs
Also Sick New World and Maastricht 2022 his voice's really clear BUT there's just old songs from Maastricht on youtube and no full recording at least that I've found, annoying cause it sounds like a great show
Thanks for the tips, I'll check the links out. I'm hoping some really great recordings will surface, like the amazing ones from the Swedish/Norwegian dates back in 2011, I forget by whom, a Swedish guy I think.

It has to be pefectesest!
Yggdrasil

Todashi wrote: 29 Oct 2023, 10:46
"We will steal what we cannot buy, when all is stole from us,"
"We will steal what we cannot buy, when all is stole from us"
"We will steal what we cannot buy, when all is stole from us . . . "

The final salvo -- the bass drum getting steadily louder and then the shotgun blast of the double snare hit and Eldritch growling " . . . ON THE BEACH"

To me it's very cringe, a feeling I felt for the first time in connection with the Sisters since I became a fan in 1983.

Oh wait, there's also YCBTO...

And Wayne's lyrics for the Dance On Glass/Black Planet demo...

And some of the yelping...

We''re a broad church :)
Esoterica
Road Kill

We will, we will, rock you.
Mob psychology at its finest. :wink:
Todashi

lilac wrote: 03 Nov 2023, 20:30 Agree but seems like they stopped having those last drum hits in On The Beach, I miss them
Aw crap, you're right. They weren't played in Italy. That was the best bit.

Still, I suppose it shows the tinkering continues.
Todashi

Yggdrasil wrote: 03 Nov 2023, 23:42
Todashi wrote: 29 Oct 2023, 10:46 We''re a broad church :)
Indeed. This is an interesting one though. What I liked about it was that it added a distinct identity to this song. It obviously has it's own vibe but there is nothing else like this in the set. It stands out.