Colours

Got any interesting thoughts on a set of lyrics? Any that don't involve the word "indeed"? Find yourself struggling to decipher all those obtuse references Von makes? Read "1959 And All That" and still no clearer? Nope, us neither. Postcards found lying in a skip around the back of the Chemists can be found here... Don't say you weren't warned.
kreuzkapelle
Road Kill

What is "Colours" about?
Dark
Underneath the Rock

Revenge always comes back, and in the end, one person or another will be carried away, buried deep underground, with a coffin covered in their military or national colours.
Silver_Owl
The Don

Dark wrote:Revenge always comes back, and in the end, one person or another will be carried away, buried deep underground, with a coffin covered in their military or national colours.
That's beautiful man. You've made me right emotional. Sniff.

It could also be about an aboriginal tracker - hearing the approaching English approaching his village. Yet, he knows in time, the last laugh will be on them.
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
Céleste
Road Kill

why do you think the song is about revenge?
for me it just states that you are responible for your deeds and that everything you do gets back to you in some way,
revenge is comprised in that.
causality
don't reap the grapes of wasteland
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

Céleste wrote:why do you think the song is about revenge?
for me it just states that you are responible for your deeds and that everything you do gets back to you in some way,
revenge is comprised in that.
causality
Isn't that revenge in some way too?

Like: You did something to me, and I will damn well get you...
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
Céleste
Road Kill

yeah,somehow,but its also that you got to take the onsequences of your deeds in general!
for instance; if i dont go to work,i ll get fired someday.
action- reaction
thats it, can be applied in every case
don't reap the grapes of wasteland
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

karma -a perfectly acceptable form of "revenge" is simply watching people get their just desserts.

give 'em enough rope...as the saying goes. :twisted:
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

"You reap what you sow" = Just you wait, you'll get yours... :twisted:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
JAMES RAY
4080 Peru

the usual theme - us & them. Biker's colours,gang colours, national colours, true colours.
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

JAMES RAY wrote:the usual theme - us & them. Biker's colours,gang colours, national colours, true colours.
...white collars, prank callers... etc...

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
kafka
Amphetamine Filth

Excuse the thread necro (I always figure it's better than starting a new thread)... but I happened to be jamming along to Thin Lizzy's "Emerald" today, and the line jumped out at me:

"Down from the glen came the marching men
With their shields and their swords"

Now, the concept of "marching men" is hardly particularly unusual, of course, but still... I'd not be at all surprised if Von had borrowed from the song, given his known penchant for metal - and for me part of the appeal of the Sisters is all the little borrowings and allusions. (I think Eldritch referred to them as "lyrical time-bombs" or similar in an interview once, although I've no idea where I'm remembering that from..)
[repeat x40]
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

I always figured he'd had the misfortune of slipping down the wrong Leeds side-street in a Manchester United scarf and bumped into a bunch of Marching Men, ie Leeds fans. Maybe too literal a reading of the lyric but it fits very conveniently.
There is increasing evidence to suggest that Chris may have been being sarcastic.
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

Planet Dave wrote: 28 Feb 2023, 17:17 I always figured he'd had the misfortune of slipping down the wrong Leeds side-street in a Manchester United scarf and bumped into a bunch of Marching Men, ie Leeds fans. Maybe too literal a reading of the lyric but it fits very conveniently.
I also took it to be dirty Leeds marching on together.
Goths have feelings too