Phoenix Marquee, Feb 18

Gig reviews, set lists, thoughts, comments and observations on the mammoth 2006 25th Anniversary tour.
tooyoung
Road Kill

We can use this page for Saturday's gig, I'll try to have some reviews up by 3am local time.

For those of you coming down from the San Diego show, this is a fairly simple 6 hour drive. If you really want to stop by Mexico, the quickest place to get off is Calexico, about 2 hours outside of San Diego, right before Arizona. I must warn you, it isn't that nice, but it is about 20 minutes south of the interstate.

The Cult will be playing the same venue in less than a month.
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

Looking forward to that :notworthy:
"as we walk on the floodland"
Doctor E
Road Kill

tooyoung wrote:We can use this page for Saturday's gig, I'll try to have some reviews up by 3am local time.
Kind thanks, tooyoung. We are waiting with bated breath for your transmission.
Kurtz: Are my methods unsound?
Willard: I don't see any method at all, sir.
Doctor E
Road Kill

tooyoung wrote:
I wonder who will be playing drums for the Cult. John Densmore perhaps? :roll:
Silver_Owl
The Don

Doctor E wrote:
tooyoung wrote:
Les Warner of course. :innocent:
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
Doctor E
Road Kill

Hom_Corleone wrote:
Doctor E wrote:
tooyoung wrote:
Les Warner of course. :innocent:
. . . and, of course, Craig Adams will be on bass and Gary Marx on rhythm guitar . . . :lol:
pearson
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Snub nose
Vision thing
Ribbons
Flood 1
Crash & Burn
On the wire/Teachers
Susanne
Giving ground
Summer
Dominon/MR
Will I dream
Alice
Anaconda
Romeo Down
Flood 2
Neverland
Lucretia
TOL
FALAA
...nothing new...the same setlist as in san diego
:?
there's too much blood in my vodkastream

----------------adam pearson------------------
Preston
Road Kill

Hello,

New Here...I went to see tonight's (or really yesterday's) show at the MARQUEE THEATER. I had a great time. The set list that Pearson posted was spot on, I wish they would of played MORE or YOU COULD BE THE ONE, but still an awesome show. VISION THING got the crowd going, DOMINION practically brought down the house.....erm....halfway through the show somebody jumped the stage and hugged Andrew (the guy was promptly thrown off), but definitely a rockin good time and one of the best concerts I've seen in a long time.

My first sisters show, been a fan ever since I was ten. If any of you went I was one of ten people there not dressed in black.

- Preston
in the dank windowless gloom of some galactic cellar, in starless cities of insanity, and in their slums . . . my awe-struck little deer and I have gone frolicking. - Thomas Ligotti
tooyoung
Road Kill

Excellent concert, the band were in top form.

The Warlocks looked like they could be interesting, they had two drum kits and some nice Gretsches, so I was hoping for Spear of Destiny or Cult style guitar heroics. Instead we were treated to about 7 songs that all sounded exactly the same. Same key and everything. Both drummers played the exact same beat, and the singer seemed to think that it was impressive that he was playing the same open chord on the guitar with only one hand. I guess they sound like a cross between Coldplay and Oasis dressed in black.

A half and hour later The Sisters came roaring out with Snub Nose, and the crowd went crazy. A lot of activity and jumping around from both guitar players. The crowd was really into it, I'd estimate between 700-900 people. I was in the second row in the middle, standing right behind a guy that traveled from Estonia to follow the tour. There were some people from England up with us as well.

Highlights had to be On the Wire, Susanne, Giving Ground, and Romeo Down. The only lull was during Will I Dream, which just doesn't really have much energy live. Robochrist played some sick acoustic guitar on Flood 2. I got a lot of eye contact from Von and Robochrist, probably because I was going crazy.

A mosh pit started during Alice, which was weird. During FALAA, a fight broke out right next to me. A bunch of jocks were just punching people, and one of them started a fight with a guy that had about 200 pounds on him. The bouncers dragged the group outside. After the show, I saw the cops talking to the instigators in the parking lot, who still tried to start fights with a couple of people leaving the concert.

I have to say, it is dissapointing that people are so negative about this tour so far. The sound was spot on, and the energy level was through the roof. Much better than I expected given all of the recent posts.
dtsom
Slight Overbomber

I´m corious about one thing....

how did they play firs and last and always???? whit the original riff like the 2005 tour??? or like they did it from 1996 to 2003???
2023: Los Ángeles,Las Vegas, Londonx2, Valencia Madrid, Lisbon, Porto, Bilbao
tooyoung
Road Kill

The guy jumped on stage during Romeo Down, and hugged Andrew for a while. He was finally dragged off.

FALAA was played without the old riff, which is odd, considering they have 2 guitar players. Same with Temple of Love.
tooyoung
Road Kill

To clear up some of the instrument questions I saw on the other threads:

Chris played bass on Romeo Down, Ben played guitar. Ben played 12 string on Flood, Chris only played 6 string, although he did some real nice soloing.

There was a guy up front filming the gig, seemed to be with the crew. A guy that I was standing with captured a little bit of video on his phone, maybe we'll see that.

Andrew's outfit sounds the same for the rest of the tour. He wore the Chicago Police leather jacket until around Crash and Burn, before taking it off to reveal a white tank top with a small symbol on it. For Temple of Love and FALAA he wore a hockey jersey that said "United Federation of Planets".

There was very little talking with the crowd.
Doctor E
Road Kill

tooyoung wrote:Excellent concert, the band were in top form.
Thanks a million for the review. It is very exciting to get such detailed dispatches from the front line.

The Sisters are getting closer and closer to invading my city. I've got my ticket, of course. "I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs, and the Sisters for everyone, but they've always worked for me. Buy the ticket, take the ride," as Eldritch's fellow Heart of Darkness fanatic, Hunter S. Thompson, might have said--if he weren't so busy being dead.
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

tooyoung wrote: I guess they sound like a cross between Coldplay and Oasis dressed in black.
Most people on here (including me) would consider that to be a bad thing :lol: :lol: :lol:
tooyoung wrote:There was a guy up front filming the gig, seemed to be with the crew.
Filming is usual, but a guy? Hmm, used to be a girl since quite some time IIRC.

Another thing I was wondering: You said 700/900 people, how much is the venue if sold out :?:

Thanks for the review :notworthy: :notworthy:
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
tooyoung
Road Kill

Obviousman wrote:
tooyoung wrote: I guess they sound like a cross between Coldplay and Oasis dressed in black.
Most people on here (including me) would consider that to be a bad thing :lol: :lol: :lol:
As would I. :lol:

I'm guessing the venue holds about 1500. When the Warlocks were on it was pretty empty, but it filled up really quick. There was a good turn out considering I'm not aware of any advertisement in the region.
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

Thanks for the review and comments Tooyoung. :D

:notworthy:
"as we walk on the floodland"
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Yep, cheers tooyoung, excellent reviews and comments. Nice to be kept informed of goings on. 8)
There is increasing evidence to suggest that Chris may have been being sarcastic.
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

Danke . :notworthy:
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
His Dog Napalm
Road Kill

"To clear up some of the instrument questions I saw on the other threads:

Chris played bass on Romeo Down, Ben played guitar. Ben played 12 string on Flood, Chris only played 6 string, although he did some real nice soloing. "

Slight confusion...Chris played 12 string and 6 string. Ben played bass and lead guitar. Chris is the guys with the mohawk, Ben is the new guy.
"In a bar that's always closing..."
His Dog Napalm
Road Kill

...though, it must be added that, regardless of who did what, both Chris and Ben are awesome at what they respectively do. The Tempe show was so high energy. bring on Sisters 2006!
"In a bar that's always closing..."
sisters-pics
Road Kill

Photos online

www.sisters-pics.de
lex3000
Amphetamine Filth

Obviousman wrote:Another thing I was wondering: You said 700/900 people, how much is the venue if sold out :?:
Apologies for the late reply, it's taken me some time to adjust after returning. Phoenix was sold out (according to the box office) and the venue has a 1,500 capacity (according to security).

Alexander
Groningen - Lokerese Feesten
MW
Road Kill

I can definitely second that, based on conversation with the box office.