Leeds Fanzine Whippings & Apologies #2 (September1981)

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
circle
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Awesome :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
darkcircleroom4.blogspot.com
Zerox Mo Sheen
Road Kill

Hello. I've just stumbled across this forum and thought you might like to know that W&A was my fanzine (well, mine and Steve's) We started it up in 1980 after leaving school in Leeds. I did that Sisters interview with them in a little cafe on Briggate (It happened to be the first interview they had ever done). Feels like a life time ago now. 🎩🕶
Pista
Cureboi

Hello there & welcome to Heartland :)
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

Welcome, Mark. I used to love W+A. Was the band photo taken at the same time, on Briggate? Do you remember how the interview came about? Quite a coup, doing their first-ever interview.
Zerox Mo Sheen
Road Kill

Hi, thanks a lot. Andy brought the photo with him to the cafe. As I remember it was the only band picture they had at the time. At the end of '79 and into '80 Steve and I started going to the F-club downstairs at Brannigans. All the same faces went there every Thursday regardless of who was playing so we all knew each other to nod to, dance with or snog 😝. Andy and Craig were regulars as well and Andy used to go out with Claire the DJ. It was obvious he was a Stooges fan cause he sometimes wore silver torusers like Iggy. Anyway, me n Steve made our first fanzine 'Primitive ' and sold it down the F-Club. Andy saw it & told us he had just started a new band and asked if we would interview them and do a piece for issue 2. Which we did. I saw them supporting Altered Images at the F-Club but they were awful cos of the bad sound. We interviewed Clare & co after the gig in the dressing room then arranged to meet 'the sisters' a day or two later. I brought my tape recorder but Steve forgot his camera so Andy gave us the picture that we ended up using. The newspaper quotes were made up. It was done in the little cafe in the arcade next to the old Virgin Megastore on Briggate. The rest as they say is history.
Charlie
Slight Overbomber

Hello there!

Thank you for the extra insight and details around this interview, always great to hear more about The Sisters beginnings from those around the scene!

:D :notworthy:
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

Yes, thanks for the extra details, Mark. Your description of the F-Club reminds me of my time as a patron of the Phono. Would love to see photographic evidence of the silver trousers!
Being645
Above the Chemist

Zerox Mo Sheen wrote:Hello. I've just stumbled across this forum and thought you might like to know that W&A was my fanzine (well, mine and Steve's) We started it up in 1980 after leaving school in Leeds. I did that Sisters interview with them in a little cafe on Briggate (It happened to be the first interview they had ever done). Feels like a life time ago now. 🎩🕶
[...]
Andy brought the photo with him to the cafe. As I remember it was the only band picture they had at the time. At the end of '79 and into '80 Steve and I started going to the F-club downstairs at Brannigans. All the same faces went there every Thursday regardless of who was playing so we all knew each other to nod to, dance with or snog 😝. Andy and Craig were regulars as well and Andy used to go out with Claire the DJ. It was obvious he was a Stooges fan cause he sometimes wore silver torusers like Iggy. Anyway, me n Steve made our first fanzine 'Primitive ' and sold it down the F-Club. Andy saw it & told us he had just started a new band and asked if we would interview them and do a piece for issue 2. Which we did. I saw them supporting Altered Images at the F-Club but they were awful cos of the bad sound. We interviewed Clare & co after the gig in the dressing room then arranged to meet 'the sisters' a day or two later. I brought my tape recorder but Steve forgot his camera so Andy gave us the picture that we ended up using. The newspaper quotes were made up. It was done in the little cafe in the arcade next to the old Virgin Megastore on Briggate. The rest as they say is history.
Hi Zerox Mo Sheen, and welcome to The Heartland Forums ... :D ...
What a wonderful piece of history, so thanks for sharing it with us ... :D :notworthy: ... it's always lovely to hear such stories from the old days ...
I can easily imagine you sitting in the café with some glue, a few newspaper cuttings and a photo doing that page ... hihi ... ;D ...

So that interview took place a few days after March 19th, 1981 ... at least I've linked that page in the SistersWiki to this thread ... :wink: ...
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

I've added a post about this (and fully credited Heartland, of course!) on my TSOM blog, adding a bit of extra detail that the original interviewer mentioned over on the 8085 FB group. It also includes another vintage item which some may not have seen before. https://sistersfan.blogspot.co.uk/2017/ ... -1981.html
Being645
Above the Chemist

Nikolas Vitus Lagartija wrote:I've added a post about this (and fully credited Heartland, of course!) on my TSOM blog, adding a bit of extra detail that the original interviewer mentioned over on the 8085 FB group. It also includes another vintage item which some may not have seen before. https://sistersfan.blogspot.co.uk/2017/ ... -1981.html
Nice, and linked already to The Heartland Forums' Sisters Wiki ...

https://sisterswiki.org/Thu,_19-Mar-1981